All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Investment Properties in Queensland

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of powderfingerspowderfingers
    @powderfingers

Hi,

We(my wife and I)bought our first property(ppor)in Queensland three months ago. It`s value has increased by approximately $50,000 since then.

Although we are not quite ready to buy our first investment property yet I am prepared to pass on any opportunities I come across, for a spotter`s fee. I realise + cash flow properties are becoming scarce but if I do come across viable propositions I will investigate them further.

I wanted to see what level of interest from investors there is before I spend more of my time researching, making contact with sellers, etc.

Besides + CF properties I will be looking for capital gains and land sales as well.

I look forward to your feedback

Regards
    Clint

Profile photo of MJKMJK
    @mjk

Powderfinger,

We can now call you a “Buyers Agent” can’t we.

MJK

Profile photo of powderfingerspowderfingers
    @powderfingers
    Quote:
    Powderfinger,

We can now call you a “Buyers Agent” can’t we.

MJK

MJK

Not really.

I will be merely selling the details of a good deal, in my spare time, and probably at the fraction of the cost of a professional “buyers agent”.

Profile photo of Kirby319Kirby319
    @kirby319

Clint, a couple of basic questions first.

1. What areas in Qld do you propose to look at?

2. Do you have a ball park figure for the spotters fee?

3. Will the fee be payable on release of the info or on successful purchase?

Profile photo of MelanieMelanie
    @melanie

Clint,

Yes interested to see what you find between Hervey Bay, Warwick to Gold Coast region.

Pls contact me on [email protected] to fill me in.

Thanks,
    Mel

@powderfingers

Kirby319, to answer your questions.

1.I am looking at the Wide Bay to North Queensland areas but will look elsewhere if required.

2.The spotter`s fee will be proportional to the price of the property, I will have a definite figure shortly.

3.I think it`s fair if the fee is only payable upon purchase of the property so that it`s a win,win situation for everybody.

Regards
    Clint
    [email protected]

@kirby319

Umm, where is wide bay? [:I]

Profile photo of calroncalron
    Participant
    @calron

Powderfingers…

Are you licensed???

I am investing at present up here in QLD..

What is the critera that you are using to determine that the properties that you are recommending are indeed cf+ ??
    Wide bay to Northern QLD.. Why are these good areas to look at in your mind?

I started with $13,000 20 months ago, I have just increased my networth to $2,000,000 with the purchase of my 7th property.
    I am interested to increase it exponentially in the near future.. So I am interested in your reasoning..

Cheers

Calron The Alcamist
    Turning things to gold is fun.
    [email protected] [;)]

Profile photo of MelanieMelanie
    @melanie

Calron – you’ve increased your net worth to WHAT?!?? Wow. Congratulations.

Are you willing to share your core strategies – buy & hold, renovate, develop, etc.?

Cheers,
    Mel

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

geez, just bought steves book too…..well guess you better get

“From $13k to $2m in 1.66 years”

published quick smart!

But them maybe someone will come out with a fortune book “……. in 0.8 years”

@kirby319
    Participant
    @calron

quote:

Calron – you’ve increased your net worth to WHAT?!?? Wow. Congratulations.

Are you willing to share your core strategies – buy & hold, renovate, develop, etc.?

Thankyou Melanie.
    I couldn’t have done it without a few people.. My wife of course. A very cool boss who lets me work from home and look after his business as well as my property portfolio..

we basically got into the market here in GoldCoast QLD when we moved up from Sydney. 20% down into our first property being our Home. That 20% consisted of the $13 that was left of our savings/shares (shares went from $40k to $10k in a week because of sept 11) and the pay that we earnt over then next 2 months that we had to wait for settlement.

We took out a principal interest loan for the first year through a broker. I asked him at the time when we could buy another property, he said call him when we felt we we’re ready cos we should have no problems at anytime.
    I was making alot of money back then ($120k), alot for me anyway at the time.

After 3 months we decided that we felt ready to go another, so I asked the broker about this. He said ok, go find the one you want. So we went out and found 3.

He used the new assessed value of our home to leverage against the 3 new properties that were in turn secured against each other.
    The downside for this sort of deal meant that our solicitor had to organise 3 similtaneous settlements at 3 banks in 3 different states, each conferencing to each other so that the deal went off without a hitch. Our solicitor wasn’t happy with this, we have since found a better solicitor.

All of these properties are nicely +ve geared and over the next year all four, as far as the banks were concerned had doubled in value.

Chomping at the bit again, about 2 months ago after reading my first ever “property book” and getting rich book “Real estate riches” by Dolf de Roos ( I have until then, always hated people talking to me about them). I discovered the idea of using OPM. I have read a few other books since then on the subects of OPM and property.

So we refinanced keeping 20% equity in all of the properties. The reason for the 20% is that it means that we pay no mortgage insurance on any of the loans and the bank is happy with the LVR.
    These 3 investments, we are holding for income sake. The capital growth is also rather good too. [;)]

So we then refinanced and established credit lines for upto 80% of the values of each of those properties. From this we put down a 10% deposit for the Yves tower down in Melbourne. We were fortunate enough that my wife was designing the website for the developers, Sunland Group. They offered our pick of units prerelease.
    This is a trade rather than investment.. We are going to flick it on when the time is right, but b4 it is complete. We have already been offered an extra $100k for it so we anticipate that in the next 3 years we should make a little more than this.

so so far we have the Home, 3 buy and hold residentials, 1 off the plan.

That brings us to the latest.

2 Commercial units in Brisbane CBD.
    With 30% down using the credit line we have just picked up 2 commercial units that are returning a minimum of 10% from existing leases with options.

This brings up the 2mil.

We have 3 more prerelease off the plans that we have put expressions of interest on and they should be in our hot little hands next month.

We as yet haven’t done the build a property or reno or develop thing. We are fortunate enough though to have close friends who have done each of these, so we are going to learn from them the hows and wherefores and whos:)

The primary goal for me personally is to be retiring at 35 at the latest so I can bring up our son, who is due in December and one more when he or she arrives. It’s amazing how having children can allow you to focus.

Oh yeh, I want to buy a brand new Porche 911 carrera s4 by the end of next year, bought with OPM of course:)

I have found that sitting down and talking with other people that I have met, who are doing, who are wanting to do and who have done is helping me reinforce ideas and allowing me to invent ideas on my own, that are allowing us to escalate our investment strategies.
    The main thing for me, is when people tell me that we are taking too much risk in doing this, I am thinking now that it is too risky not doing it..
    Have no fear. In the word of Nike….. Just do it!

This is funny, but less than 2 years ago my wife was having fits at me when I was talking about owning 50 properties within 5 years.. Nows she’s asking if thats all we’re going to own:)

Flexibility and diversity is our key.. Keep exposure manageable and comfortable for your own peace of mind.

So. Timeline.
    OCT 2001 – Home
    June 2002 – 3 rental, Buy and hold
    June 2003 – 1 off the plan pre release, Buy and Flick
    Aug 2003 – 2 commercial, Buy and Hold
    Sept 2003 – 3 off the plan pre release, flick 2, hold 1.
    Sept 2003 and onwards – Lots More of allsorts.
    December 2003 – Xavier Calvin is born.
    b4 June 2004 – Buy Porche.

So I hope this helps.. If you have anymore questions then just ask..

Cheers

Calron the Alcamist
    Turning things into gold is fun.
    [email protected][;)][8D]

@powderfingers

Calron,

I emailed you to answer your questions.
    Regards,
    Clint

Profile photo of Judith3Judith3
    @judith3

Calron The Alcamist

Thank you – I just read about about your successes in property investment and you have inspired me again. My husband and I are 28 and have 3 IP – but no home as yet. I know that if we sell some investment properties – buy our home and start again with investment properties – that we too can find Postivity geared properties and I can stop working and we can start thinking about baby palns! Thanks for helping me focus again and know that it can be done

Participant
    @calron

Judith..

Thankyou.
    I am assuming by your post that you must have -ve geared property. If so. Talk to your broker, or another broker that is positive and willing to work for your business and help you make him richer than he should be already.
    It would be a real shame to sell your existing properties an incur CGT on them. You should be able to use the equity in a refinance deal to get some free cash to invest into other properties that can support these -ve geared ones.. Capital growth is a good thing too.

If i can help more please just ask..
    I am by no means an expert, not a finance person either.. I am just an animator that wants to stop with the 15 hour days…

Chat soon.

Calron the Alcamist
    Turning things into gold is fun.
    [email protected][;)]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Investment Properties in Queensland’ is closed to new replies.