Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

Hi,

It’s not a big deal, but does anyone else feel a bit inhibited sharing their PI goals/progress with other people? I’ve found that often, the good ol’ Aussie tall poppy syndrome rears its head. My Mum, step dad and family don’t even know that I do it… it’s just less bother because I know all I’ll get is knocks. Some I’ve talked to at work about it have been supportive and want to know more, while others think I’m trying to be C. Montgomery Burns (Simpsons reference)..

What are other people’s experiences?

Thank God for this forum!!

Cheers
    r

Profile photo of PropertyGuruPropertyGuru
    Participant
    @propertyguru

Hi Richmond,

Even though I don’t have any IP ( but looking to buy right now which can answer your another topic of forum ) when ever I talk about buying +ve property or buying lot’s of property in near future most of the people think I am gone crazy [:0)]. But this doesn’t make any difference to me most of the time. ( but some time I start suspecting on myself [:(]) But after knowing this forum I am getting lot’s of encouragement Thanks to all of you.

Amit

Profile photo of comdomcomdom
    Participant
    @comdom

I once listened to people whom which beleived investment propertys were a bad thing im glad i did not follow their advice, i would have a lot less wealth than i have now and be no closer to early retirment. But their are always hurdles if you dont follow the crowd.Honesty is the best policy beleive me.
    Dom[:)]

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

g’day richmond

in my opinion this problem has little to do with realestate.

in essense it has to do with poeples inability to deal with people who look and act differently to excepted norms.

fear of the unknown.

i remember a mate of mine at the age of 21 he and his girlfriend fell pregnant. they decided to get married. both were at university and the decision had nothing to do with ‘doing the right thing’. it was an informed decision based on the fact that although they were young, they loved eachother and thought that marriage was a symbol of their commitment to their love, child etc etc.

well you should have seen the reaction from ‘most people’. it was quite alarming. rather than respecting their decision, they were called stupid, naive etc etc etc. the advise was astonishing.

12 years later they are happily married, educated, good jobs and have 4 great kids and all is fine (although it was a struggle)

i remember respecting the way they coped in those days. he listened to everyones suggestions, took them on board then compared them to his core beliefs. and guess what it turned out ok.

cheers

Profile photo of Elysium-MElysium-M
    @elysium-m

Yeah richo,

I also get a mixed response. Some people just plain scoff at what I say, others are sceptical, and a very small number are actually supportive or in agreement. In my office, I’d say that there’s only one other chap who is supportive and in agreement with me. I also don’t bother to give friends and family too much detail (except the girlfriend, where disclosure is mandatory!), for the same reasons as you.

And I think aussierogue’s got it right there. The problem is in the psychology of things, not in the actual act of investing in real estate. Most people are brought up to believe that they need to study hard, get good grades, find a good job, carve out a career, save some money and finally retire at 60. That’s what my mum keeps telling me to do. That’s how a lot of my friends think, despite their interest in investments, being sick of their jobs, etc.

I love this forum because it reminds me that there are real life people out there who are also doing the same thing.

Cheers
    M

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

hi guy’s

my experience is a bit different, people closest to me have got into the act
    older brother now has 7 IP’s after being very sceptical at first.
    younger brother has 1,
    one best mate has bought 4
    another has 2.
    i had a convestion with a lady once about what i was doing with IP’s the next year i saw her she had bought 5, i nearly fell over.
    i find at work people often call to see me to run past some scheme or plan they have. Friends often ask me to help find properties etc.
    i don’t get to much negative stuff to my face but have heard through a third person people making comments like “it’s very risky” and “it’s a house of cards”. But they don’t know how financially secure this has made me.
    Regards westan

Profile photo of Elysium-MElysium-M
    @elysium-m

Hey that’s great for you westan. It would be nice to have more of a supportive environment like you do. But we do what we have to do, despite what others say.

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

hi guys
    Just some extra thoughts
    Elysium-M you mentioned a lot of your friends are sick of their jobs, i find the same. Often it’s my friends who are on the bigger dollars say over 100,000PA who are the worst. It amazes me how many people out there are dissatisfied with their lot in life and looking to reclaim some time for themselves. Property investing for cashflow seems to make sense to so many people, yet while saying they should do it also, they don’t.
    regards westan

Profile photo of sam_at_ozsam_at_oz
    @sam_at_oz

Hi,

Along with the statistics that show that ‘popular opinion’ is a handicap when trying to achieve financial independance – I also remmeber the quote of a self made millionaire from some time about 20 years ago – “If you want to play where others can’t [have your dream] you have to do what others won’t.”

If I’d followed my friends and families (and my peers) advice – I’d have acheived nothing.

Profile photo of EskapeEskape
    @eskape

Hi all,
    It almost appears to be another type of phobia-this real fear that the majority of people have of someone doing better than they are. I sometimes think that one has to actually lose something that has a significant dollar value-be it through bad luck or bad management-before they come to the realisation that if they did it differently next time it just might work.
    I doubt there is one person contributing to this forum that has several IP’s that can’t look back on at least one bad experience with money.Most likely all of us have and that’s one of the reasons we’re here trying to do better this time. How many of us say “if I knew then what I know now…”
    If someone doesn’t like what you’re doing or tells you you won’t succeed then THEY have the problem, not YOU.
    Can you imagine where we’d be if Edison, Ford and many other great thinkers and doers listened to the “good” advice they were given? I shudder to think.
    If this game was easy, everyone would be doing it. One thing I’m sure of. It’s a darn site easier than looking forward to making someone else rich and letting an alarm clock run your life.
    I’ll hop down of the soapbox now.

Have a great day

Robert

Veni, Vidi, Vici

Profile photo of daretotrydaretotry
    @daretotry

Hi all,

I guess when it comes down to it, its back to the old fear of the unknown. Also being the first to lead the way or try things a different way. The reason a lot of great inventions are in this world are from people who dared to do just that.

We also have been told by family members to pretty much stay inside the comfortable square we were living in. We were told that about 6 years ago too when refinancing…also when moving…having more kids….moving again etc etc Things havent always been fantastic but generally things have worked out and some have changed our lives so much for the better. I dont even want to think where we would still be, and what we would be doing if we had listened to all the “safe” advice and stayed stagnating where we where.

Hope I haven’t rambled too much and hope it helps someone, even a little bit.

T

Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp

I’ve been lucky and my family have been very supportive (even though the IP is about 2500km away from me). Not only that, but they followed my reasoning on my choice of town and thought the price I paid was reasonable.

Also as I bought in the state in which they live, property ownership there will allow more family visits : )

Peter

Profile photo of maximusmaximus
    @maximus

Hi all. Personally, I dont care what naysayers have to say. I’ve had a couple of things happen in my life that made realise “life REALLY is too short”. I say that if you believe in something (I believe in I/P’S), then go for it. A favourite saying of mine before assessing any situation is “what’s the worst thing that could happen” and invariably the pros will outweigh the cons, and in my way of thinking, the worst thing that could happen re I/P’s is that if it all went bad, I’d just be back to where I was before I started buying I/p’s. Hope this all makes sense. Anyway, if you have a dream in your heart, you have to at least try and attain it, dont you.

All the best

Marty

Profile photo of BeckyGordonBeckyGordon
    Participant
    @beckygordon

Hi All,

We’ve shared our plans and what we’re doing with family and friends.

Some of the comments that have come back, have been like, “Well, good luck with your get rich quick scheme”, “Good luck getting into debt”, “You’re going to get burnt so badly” or “I hope you do well, I could never do anything like that. The thought of losing my home is too much for me”.

But we’ve also gotten “Wow..I’d love to do something like that. What do I need to know? Do you think you’ll be able to teach me?”

You learn very quickly that some people have a closed mind or negative attitude to anything they don’t know about, and aren’t prepared to even consider alternatives to their way of thinking. Others are open minded, even enthusiastic as the alternatives are explained and they end up having their own ‘aha’ moments as they realise what might be possible.

The ones that are really negative, I’ll leave it at that. It’s not worth the frustration. If they want to open their mind and learn more, they’ll ask.

Thankfully, they’re in the minority and most of our friends and family are extremely supportive of what we’re trying to do.

To Amit – That’s what’s great about a forum like this. Even if you can’t physically surround yourself with like minded people, there are plenty of people here you can bounce ideas off or who will give you all the encouragement and advice you need.

Gordon

Invest in People for a Prosperous Future!

Profile photo of Stuart WemyssStuart Wemyss
    @stuart-wemyss

Wow Richo – good topic.

For the most part people around me have been very supportive. But I wouldn’t listen too them anyway.

I don’t ask my dentist for help if I have car problems. So why would I ask a poor person (for lack of a better word) for their opinion about my wealth strategy. Their opinion is not much chop because they haven’t achieved financial freedom.

Yes, it is nice to get the support of loved ones and the people we respect. But for me it is only just that – “nice”. I don’t need “side line critics” to agree with my strategy.

However, if some savvy investors (Steve, AD, etc.) disagreed with me then I would sit up and take notice. I would listen to their concerns very intently.

Again, just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Stu

Property & Finance News
    at http://www.prosolution.com.au

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘stigma’ is closed to new replies.