All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Ugly place… good returns

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of soleilsoleil
    @soleil

Hi everyone,

What are your opinions on ugly, poorly set out houses? I’ve found one with a great return, but it’s a terrible eyesore…

I don’t think there’s much that can be done to make it look better either. Would it be a problem to rent out/sell? I couldn’t bear to live in it myself (I’m talking dark, really wierd design, looks like a shed rather than a house), but the returns are good.

What do you think?

Profile photo of JellyBJellyB
    @jellyb

Hi Soleil

Does it matter if it’s ugly as long as someone wants to rent it? What are the vacancy rates for the area? If they are low and you think you can get an occupant who will pay the rent you require then go for it. That is, if you don’t need to spend too much on maintenance or even upgrading. I wouldn’t live in my investment property but I have a tenant that is very happy to live there. If the figures stack up and your manager can find a suitable occupant, who cares?

Good Luck!

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

i’d look at economical ways of making the house as appealing as i could… fresh paint etc etc… remember that even though you would not live there, it still has to have some sort of appeal to tenants, all my places are nice and clean and tidy… not ultra modern by any stretch, but definitely liveable.

cheers
    r

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi Soleil

my thought are similiar to the other guys but one extra comment. you may plan not to sell, but if you need too Ugly houses sell very poorly. At the moment everything is selling well. but 4 yrs ago some of these Ugly houses couldn’t get an offer. What about the future?
    westan

Profile photo of soleilsoleil
    @soleil

Thanks everyone…

I’ve decided to leave it… turns out it’s been on the market for about 8 mnths which seems a LONG time in the present climate. Vendor has dropped the price by $20,000 – making it $130,000 (returning $290pw). That gives you an idea of how ugly it is!!!

Thanks [:)]

Profile photo of tom1000000tom1000000
    Participant
    @tom1000000

Hi Soliel,

Would you mind telling me what location the property is in? If its in a good location then I may consider putting on an offer.

Thanks

Tom

Profile photo of SteinySteiny
    @steiny

Ok guys, i’m only new to the ip game myself… but a 130k house renting 290/wk?

Lets see. 130k @ 7% = 175/wk.

Am i looking at this wrong or does this property seem like an absolute gold mine?

-Steiny

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

on raw figures it looks promising, but never take anything at face (or figure) value.

cheers
    r

Profile photo of huntress_lovehuntress_love
    @huntress_love

hi ppl
    just wondering Soleil do u know if it’s structurely sound? could be why it hasn’t sold for so long.
    [:)]!

Profile photo of soleilsoleil
    @soleil

Hi again

Tom, I’m sorry- I only came back to the forum this morning – I rang up the agent yesterday to say I wasn’t interested & she said there’d been another offer they’d accept (another lady looked through it after me, and must have made the offer).

Looking more into it, I’m really glad I avoided. To explain further (yes it does all look too good to be true on face value but my figures are a bit vague) – it was actually a huge place divided into two sections. One was rented at $150pw to a lady who’d only been there a few months. The other was vacant-had been for a year- but apparently the owner (who’d managed it herself) had someone about to go in at $140pw ( I didn’t check into this at that stage).

The RE agent even admitted it’s tenants never stayed long, and were not the best quality.

There was a huge crack in the loungeroom wall – I’m no structure expert but it looked worrying [:)]

So don’t worry, I don’t think we missed out on much!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Ugly place… good returns’ is closed to new replies.