All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Brisbane Mania- let me out

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

Went looking for a house under $150k ANYWHERE in Brisbane yesterday, talked to many agents. A 2 bed “renovators delight” house in Beenleigh was auctioned for $190k. Funny, as a fully renovated 3 bedder nearby went for $210k.

For the last 3 weeks I have been noting the number of people outside Beenleigh RE agents. 2 weeks ago the average was 2, last week it was 5, this week it was 8. So there is now nothing in Beenleigh under $150k, in fact, even under $180k. Talked to some investors at the auction, also some RE agents. They all said interstate investors were buying 2 or 3 properties each, without even inspecting them!. So I drove out to Browns Plains, were I talked to another agent.
    “where can I get a house for under $150k?” I asked. he replied:
    “not in Brisbane…..not even under $200k anymore….I have a waiting list of 120 people who want something, anything under $200k. They dont even have time to inspect. That delay is too costly. The urban sprawl ends here, and beyond this the land alone starts at $200k.”

All of this makes me wonder, do I need to change my plan? With all these reno newbies flooding the market, are they creating a supply-demand distortion? Everyone wants a reno delight, and not many people want to pay for a reno someone else has done, because they see how easy it is to do it themselves on TV.

I drove to Forest Lake, a highly advertised new development. Properties there were selling at a yield of 3-4%, which is a joke. Seemed to be a lot of rentals available also. $240k for a new house getting $180 wk in rent, if yo can find a tenant.

OK, thats it. Im out. It could get worse but Im not chasing this. I either have to buy a property I cant inspect (because someone will buy it while I waste time inspecting), or buy one with a 3-4% yield. No thanks.

For all those who are chasing this, good luck, you are gonna need it.

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

New Zealand, It’s a cherry just waiting to be picked. The question that remains is, what will be your excuse?

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

Indeed, however as supply (small country of 3 -4 – million people) is outstripped by demand (savvy Aussie investors now, as well as all the Kiwi ones) things will change there too.
    There are still opportunities, though…

cheers-
    Mini

http://www.vocalbureau.com

Profile photo of damirdokicdamirdokic
    @damirdokic

Yeah its very easy to rent in Adelaide. House prices have outstripped wages and rental returns. Not worth it. Might have to wait a few years.

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

Interesting point Crashy and one I agree on. When the numbers don’t work….walk away. I haven’t bought anything in Brisbane for the last 3 months and that to me is a long time. I cannot find anything worth buying and I have a few contacts that feed me good property. Such is life. I won’t buy for the sake of buying but only if it makes me money. As I always say…..crunch the numbers and if they don’t work neither does the deal.

The good and bad fact about the current frenzy is that there will be some great deals over the coming years for those who have overcommitted or found landlording to be a dirty word. I can wait.

Enjoy
    AD [:0)]
    (Andrew)

“Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.”

Profile photo of hilaryhilary
    @hilary

Hey, r u really that Damir Dokic?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Brisbane Mania- let me out’ is closed to new replies.