All Topics / The Treasure Chest / What if interest rates rise

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of NicoleNicole
    @nicole

Hello

This is my first time on this site. I wondered if you could help me with a question.

What happens if interest rates rise…how do you guard against this…do I fix rates? or factor it in my calculations?

Nicole

Profile photo of davidfemiadavidfemia
    @davidfemia

Hello Nicole,

As a general rule, never borrow to the point that a raise in interest rates, can severely affect your repayment ability. Always factor in a buffer zone.

David Femia

Femia Property Group
    Property Investment Consultants
    http://www.femiapropertygroup.com.au

Profile photo of NicoleNicole
    @nicole

[Thanks

If for instance the interest rate were 6.5%, should I factor in an interest rate of 7.5& to allow for an adequate margin?

An does everyone generally fix the loans?

Nicole

Profile photo of NaughtyJonnyNaughtyJonny
    @naughtyjonny

Fixed a property at five years interest only loan at 5.99% about only three weeks ago. Noticed that five year fixed rates had risen 0.2% to 6.19% when I was in the bank on Tuesday.

While rates may continue to stay low, I think locking in isn’t a bad idea at the moment as I don’t see them going much below 6%.

Profile photo of hwd007hwd007
    @hwd007

its anyones guess. depends on your situation.dammed if you do, dammed if you dont sort of thing.

All I can say is that over the last 10 years I’m told that varaible rates on average did better than fixed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘What if interest rates rise’ is closed to new replies.