All Topics / The Treasure Chest / new and cautious

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of roundbellyroundbelly
    @roundbelly

I am totally new to the idea of investing in real estate. My wife & I have a sizeable amout of money tied up in the share market. There are so many sites on the internet with ideas on how to be a “smart” property investor, yet quite a few sites seem to contradict each other. How do I know which ones I can trust & which books would be suitable for a novice like myself? We would like to invest in a rental unit here in Adelaide, yet like a lot of other people, I keep thinking the bubble will burst reasonably soon. Do I take the gamble & invest now, or wait for house prices to fall?

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi roundbelly

I’ve been a member of this site for over 12 months and the quality of advice is excellent. Usually you will find the other sites are lureing you to buy an investment property they will make a cut out of.
    Regarding books
    i’m a bit fan of “Real estate Riches” buy Dolf DeRoos -more of a why property rather than a how to.
    Most of the Aussie writers are good however many encourage Negative gearing which if the market is stagnent for years or falls is centainly the wrong strategy.
    Margarett Lomans books aren’t bad.
    From reports Steve’s new book sounds excellent, however i haven’t read it yet, can’t even buy a copy sold out in every book store in Ballarat when i was there today.
    If your hunch is right about the bubble will burst (don’t expect a burst like the stock market), then now is an excellent time to learn as much as you can about property investing.
    Don’t spend 1000’s on seminars save it for building your Wealth (not theirs), what they cover is written in books.
    westan

Profile photo of CaptainPositiveCaptainPositive
    Participant
    @captainpositive

Edestiny owned and manged by Margaret Lomas might help if you need someone to hold your hand while you get started.

Hope this helps.

Captain

quote:

I am totally new to the idea of investing in real estate. My wife & I have a sizeable amout of money tied up in the share market. There are so many sites on the internet with ideas on how to be a “smart” property investor, yet quite a few sites seem to contradict each other. How do I know which ones I can trust & which books would be suitable for a novice like myself? We would like to invest in a rental unit here in Adelaide, yet like a lot of other people, I keep thinking the bubble will burst reasonably soon. Do I take the gamble & invest now, or wait for house prices to fall?

Profile photo of roundbellyroundbelly
    @roundbelly

Hello Westan

thankyou for the info on which books may be of help to me, I’ll look for them in the bookshops. I have only been a member for 1 day but the advice that I see is very informative & I’m learning a great deal just reading everything in the discussion board. Congratulations on reaching the 100

quote:

Hi roundbelly

I’ve been a member of this site for over 12 months and the quality of advice is excellent. Usually you will find the other sites are lureing you to buy an investment property they will make a cut out of.
    Regarding books
    i’m a bit fan of “Real estate Riches” buy Dolf DeRoos -more of a why property rather than a how to.
    Most of the Aussie writers are good however many encourage Negative gearing which if the market is stagnent for years or falls is centainly the wrong strategy.
    Margarett Lomans books aren’t bad.
    From reports Steve’s new book sounds excellent, however i haven’t read it yet, can’t even buy a copy sold out in every book store in Ballarat when i was there today.
    If your hunch is right about the bubble will burst (don’t expect a burst like the stock market), then now is an excellent time to learn as much as you can about property investing.
    Don’t spend 1000’s on seminars save it for building your Wealth (not theirs), what they cover is written in books.
    westan

@roundbelly

hello Captain

thanks for the advice. I’ll look for it in the bookshops.

Roundbelly

quote:

Edestiny owned and manged by Margaret Lomas might help if you need someone to hold your hand while you get started.

Hope this helps.

Captain

quote:

Profile photo of johndjohnd
    @johnd

Hi Roundbelly.
    I’m from SA myself and i believe The Australian Property Investor magazine is a must, and at the back of it are a whole list of books to choose from.

In relation to your question about when to buy, the answer is simple when it comes to residential realestate buy it when ever you can afford to. I’m not saying go out and buy anything and pay any price, buy wisley, do your research and buy well, property never looses money on people loose money, and the only way to loose money is if you pay too much and are forced to sell in the short term or you cant afford to hold it for what ever reason, so make sure when you do your research you also research rental returns etc. Buy for the long term and you cant go wrong.
    regards
    Johnd

@roundbelly

Hi John
    thankyou for the sound advice. It gives a lot of food for thought. Is the Aust. Property Investor in most newsagencies?

David

quote:

Hi Roundbelly.
    I’m from SA myself and i believe The Australian Property Investor magazine is a must, and at the back of it are a whole list of books to choose from.

In relation to your question about when to buy, the answer is simple when it comes to residential realestate buy it when ever you can afford to. I’m not saying go out and buy anything and pay any price, buy wisley, do your research and buy well, property never looses money on people loose money, and the only way to loose money is if you pay too much and are forced to sell in the short term or you cant afford to hold it for what ever reason, so make sure when you do your research you also research rental returns etc. Buy for the long term and you cant go wrong.
    regards
    Johnd

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘new and cautious’ is closed to new replies.