All Topics / The Treasure Chest / re Buying that first investment property??

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of rockatanskyrockatansky
    @rockatansky

Hi,

My question is for Steve McKnight. After seeing you on Today Tonight I have been inspired to become a first time property investor/mogul :-), and yes I’ve ordered your book (first smart move). My question is: If I only have $5k to invest, currently a part-time job and about $200k equity in my own home, can I still adopt all your ideas etc successfully. I have a great friend who is a Business Finance Manager and have thought about going into partnership with him. He would have substantially more $$$ to invest and approx $800k equity in his home. Not too mention he has owned 3 investment properties already and very successfully sold two of them at great profit. I mean I really want to have a go at this, but feel that having my mate on board would be a smarter move in more ways than one. Any thoughts??

Profile photo of CreminCremin
    Participant
    @cremin

Sorry Rock this isn’t what you wanted to hear, but the first rule in business is “Never start a business with friends.”
    Sorry mate.[:)]

Here for a good time not a long time, just do it!.

Profile photo of enuffisenuffenuffisenuff
    @enuffisenuff

Hi

I actually disagree with you Cremin.

Rock, your friend sounds like a great mentor to have and to do business with. It sounds like your friend might already have the right procedure in place to make property work for him.

I don’t see the problem with buying a property together and both of you making some money. Just ensure that everything is in a contract so that if there are any hiccups both of you are covered.

As he is most probably going to provide more $$$/equity then you might want to take a smaller share of the profits initially. As your personal wealth increases then you can split 50/50.

Mind you, I have only bought/sold one investment property and that was by myself. I am, however, looking to partner with somebody to buy again. Why not share the dollars?

EnuffIsEnuff

Profile photo of wannabewannabe
    @wannabe

i’m new to this, have you any tips.

@wannabe

haveing bought our first investment home, its been in negative rent the whole time, do you think we should sell it , or buy another to hopefully cover all costs.

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Wannabe,

You ask this question a couple of time, may be I have ago at it.

If you think you can support your next investment propery and live comfortably why should you sale you first one.

I believe in building wealth through IPs is base on buy and hold for long term.

You only sell when there is an opportunity cost, which mean there are a better place to put that money to invest.

Good luck with your investing decision

Regards

Chandara

@wannabe

Chandra, thank you for reply, do you use equity? %100, or have a deposit? also if rent covers costs living costs are seperate.

quote:

Wannabe,

You ask this question a couple of time, may be I have ago at it.

If you think you can support your next investment propery and live comfortably why should you sale you first one.

I believe in building wealth through IPs is base on buy and hold for long term.

You only sell when there is an opportunity cost, which mean there are a better place to put that money to invest.

Good luck with your investing decision

Regards

Chandara

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘re Buying that first investment property??’ is closed to new replies.