Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 127 total)
  • Profile photo of Diamond2Diamond2
    @diamond2

Hi Keiran,
    Thanks for your advice. It`s funny that only this morning i rang your company & spoke to one of your staff re: finance in NZ. He told me that you were going to post some info on this forum because you were concerned that people were getting the wrong slant. I agree with you wholeheartedly. I have been doing some research & phoning of my own & funny that i to had decided that Tokoroa was one i would give a miss. He also told me about your 3hr advisory service & the fact that i can easily get finance over the phone through you. How about i ask for you directly when i ring again!!?? Probably be on Thursday. Anyway i`m glad you decided to post a reply, you make perfect sense.
    Cheers Diamond

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

Hi everyone especially welcome KtKiwi

Very interesting to read your post.

I think that everything you say is true for most investors.
    For the average investor.

Re: the BNZ thing if us resident Aussies want to be in the loop with things like that re: investing in NZ then subscribe to KPI magazine – I already knew about that from an article two or three months ago, and there is another bank called

http://www.kiwibank.co.nz

which is worth checking out for competitive rates but I don’t think you can go through a broker with them either (correct me if I’m wrong.)

>Be wary of small towns…

My uncle said exactly the same thing, before advising me to ‘buy vacant land’. However I didn’t necessarily take his advice,
    as unlike him I’m not a multi-millionaire with tons of spare cash to buy up city blocks in San Francisco and turn them into parks, or buy up a big chunk of Queenstown by the lake. hehe

But what I DID do is run my numbers past him (he happens to also be a professor of finance to boot and BOY did he put me through the ringer!! So anyway my first purchase has worked out so well that it’s almost boring. Small town of 1500 people half an hour away from a city. Fantastic really pretty villa on brilliant corner section giving me a 21 percent gross return.
    It rented after a week and recently became vacant and again rented within one week.

Second place, i got really excited because I found a place with a sitting long-term tenant with documents returning 29 percent.
    Unfortunately the day it settled she left! Ah well, such is life. Brilliant, i thought, time to do it up (structurally sound but what a dump!) so several weeks and several K later it is good to go, and hasn’t got a tenant yet since it was put up for rent 4 weeks ago. Doh. However according to my calculations and including the renovation costs, I can afford to be vacant for 27 weeks of the year only getting the same rent as the house used to get when it was a dump, and STILL make 9 percent.

So yes I hear what you are saying about vacancy rates and booms and so on forcing prices up and I think that the market may have even changed in the small towns substantially since I bought merely months ago, (more sensitive to numbers of investors coming in due to the smallness of the markets) BUT, there is so much margin for error and the house was so damn cheap that I’m not crying yet. Because I am starting at the bottom of the bottom of the market even if all I get out of it is a great big lesson, hey, it was cheaper than going to boot camp!

Now really freakily, and unexpectedly, the latest KPI magazine says that the area has gone up in value 25 percent in the last year (when traditional CG hotspots such as Devonport, Auckland, supposedly went DOWN 25 percent.) And this is an area that I SOOO wasn’t buying for Capital Gain!! So maybe the boom thing is kind of when Auckland is flattening, up go the regional areas. I dunno. Anyway, if that is true, then I just made my year’s rent in CG, hehe.

>I’m just saying be wary

What I have learned is ‘buy in a good area’ and that sitting tenants don’t mean anything. (although, i thought, it gave me a realistic idea of the actual market value of a property, rather than what the agent tells you it will rent for..)

>After all who wants to own a property in a small centre with >high vacancy rates.

I think a lot of them don’t actually have high vacancy rates, one town of 1500 people, the agent was saying she hasn’t had a rental property on the books for ages and the last one she had, she could have rented out 6 times over in 3 weeks.

In the town where I am having trouble getting a tenant, supposedly, two people a week come in looking and neither RE agent in town had ANY rental properties at the time I bought.

> Huntly properties due to the mines underneath it!

eww- thanks for the warning

>And be wary of those promoting towns like Tokoroa as wise >investments!!! Tokoroa was a ghost town in the slump of >1992! I know people who lived there that were buying >properties for $5,000 (in 1992 i.e THE BOTTOM OF A >PROPERTY SLUMP) and renting them out for $20 / week. >Those properties are now apparently worth $50,000 + with >rents of @$140/week (in 2003 i.e. NEAR THE TOP OF A >PROPERTY BOOM)

Hm,,,,,,,, when is a 20 percent return not a wise investment?
    (at the time of purchase). Especially one which is indexed for inflation (hence the rise from 20 per week to 140 per week over time) and in 11 years becomes a 140 percent return? Tell me if I’ve done something wrong but let’s say they managed to pay off their $5000 house by 1999 and so they have a freehold house. Let’s also assume they got 140 per week this year, 130 the year before, and 100 the year before that.
    That makes about 20 K cash over the last three years. Add to that 45K capital gain and you get 65 K for your initial 5 K investment. Oh no, it was less than that, because you only put in 20 percent of your 5000 way back in 1992, and you had a mortgage. So really you only put in 1000 and a bit more for closing costs back in 1992. And now you have 65 K, 65 times your money back. what kind of cash on cash return is that? How much better does it have to be make/risk before you would consider an investment ‘wise’???
    Man, if I can make 65 times my initial investment in 11 years I’ll be laughing.

>Check out the latest NZ press about tokoroas massive job >losses and heavy dependence on the forestry industry

Ipswich was the same and look at it now. However I agree actually – I didn’t end up going for Tokoroa because of this very reason.

> “newbie got rich quick” investors
    so quick is good? or bad?

>But those of us that have been around for a whilst know >better than to buy in small centres whilst a boom is on!

OK, let us know when it’s ‘off’ and then we can maybe find some wise investments

>You don’t have to be too clever to work this one out…
    >My attitude is to stick to the larger centres. You can still get >good returns if you are picky.

How good are the returns that a picky person can expect in the large centres??

>Check out some of the opportunities we have placed with >investors at http://www.hpc.co.nz/tool_opportunities.php
    >All of these are in Auckland.

Also check out
    http://www.richmastery.co.nz

this wouldn’t happen to be the ‘got rich quick’ people you were talking about earlier, would it? I noticed your site is a property finders one too, and as richmastery also offer this service, they’d be your competitors – anyway, it would certainly give your post a certain ‘angle’.

I have some friends who have done really well in Auckland, (but major sums of money involved – entry level investments almost ten times the price of entry-level investments ‘in the sticks’ – anyway, Auckland rocks as an investment mining ground. I for one will be happy if everyone follows your advice and runs screaming from the small towns (tokoroa or otherwise) – and there is a good chance that they might if in fact investors are lemmings as has been suggested elsewhere on this forum. (said with the most tongue in cheek tone, and a nod and wink to my investing compadres on this forum)

but in conclusion, I think if you don’t have much money and you wanted to get started in the game of monopoly you could do a lot worse.

cheers-
    Mini

http://www.vocalbureau.com

Profile photo of KtkiwiKtkiwi
    @ktkiwi

Hi Diamond, Feel free to call me Thursday at 2pm NZTime (the only time I’m free on Thurs)

Minimogul, Whew what a large reply.
    To summarise the points you raise:

Yes do talk to kiwibank but I dont know what they are like for lending to foreigners. (They dont deal with mortgage brokers)

I think you missed my point re Tokoroa… I’m saying that there are times to buy there (i.e. in a property market slump like 1992) and times not to (like in a boom we have right now!). That $50k property will not be worth anywhere near $50k when the next slump bites… Who wants to own a rental in a small town when property is “out of favour” and vacancy rates go through the roof?
    I have seen it happen before…

“the latest KPI magazine says that the area has gone up in value 25 percent in the last year (when traditional CG hotspots such as Devonport, Auckland, supposedly went DOWN 25 percent.) … So maybe the boom thing is kind of when Auckland is flattening, up go the regional areas. I dunno.”

Well thats very interesting statistics…
    I suspect you have seen a comparison of a month this year i.e. March 2003 with a month last year i.e. March 2002 because for that magazine to say that Devonport has had negative capital growth of 25% is extremely ridiculous!

This just proves the worthlessness of using Medians or Averages to measure capital growth because they can both be unduly influenced by the price range of sales in an area. For example if the majority of property sales in an area for a period are in the lower dollar value range this would influence the average sale price to appear to be decreasing. Values in that area may actually be increasing but as a result of few sales in the higher dollar value range for that period the average could infer an incorrect downward indication of values.

This is exactly the case for Devonport because it has actually experienced strong capital growth.

In fact the only negative growth suburb in Auckland over the last year has been Manurewa which was also being promoted last year by some of the “new kids in town” as being a good area to invest in!

“this wouldn’t happen to be the ‘got rich quick’ people you were talking about earlier, would it? I noticed your site is a property finders one too, and as richmastery also offer this service, they’d be your competitors”

I was not specifically referring to them and they are certainly not the only “got rich quick” merchants in town (although they are heavy marketers) and they are not our only competitors. Anyway richmastery don’t just focus on property investment but all sorts of other things too.

If you ever drop into Auckland then feel free to give me a call.

Profile photo of RentMasterRentMaster
    @rentmaster

If you want some actual stats for Huntly (mining town 60km south of Auckland).

My brother purchase 2 properties there for about 95K each renting for about 150pw about 4 years ago.
    The average tenancy term was about 6 months, after which the tenants left owing a whole lot of money and no forwarding address. It took about another 6 to 8 weeks to find another tenant to move in and also not pay rent.

He sold the 2 properties for 62k each and they were on the market for sale for about 2 years.

All in all not a good experience. But maybe he just had a run of bad luck?

He has now purchased a property in west Auckland for 199K, renting for 310pw. Personally I would not look outside the major cities. I personally recommend south or west Auckland outer suburbs or you could try Hamilton which is about 1 hour south of Auckland.

If you want to know actual rental info in NZ you could try this site
    http://www.tenancy.govt.nz/tenancy/Market-Rent/market%20rent%20region.asp
    This is actualy stats from tenancy services in NZ.

Andrew
    http://www.rentmaster.co.nz

Participant
    @minimogul

Hi KtKiwi,

>Minimogul, Whew what a large reply.

I know, I’m going through an obsessive compulsive forum phase b) i enjoy it.

>That $50k property will not be worth anywhere near $50k >when the next slump bites…
    >Who wants to own a rental in a small town when property is >”out of favour” and vacancy rates go through the roof?

There will always be people that do great from places everyone has been warned away from for years (Tasmania, Invercargill) though I still think your advice is true for the average investor, and for most properties. I read somewhere that only 10 percent of properties are CF+ve. Whether we here are making ‘average investments’ is a whole-nother-topic in itself.

>I suspect you have seen a comparison of a month this year >i.e. March 2003 with a month last year i.e. March 2002 >because for that magazine to say that Devonport has had >negative capital growth of 25% is extremely ridiculous!

ahhhh- I geddit. At the bottom of the page it says ‘these figures are not indexed so large fluctuations can occur’.

Indexes aside though, there were more negative growth results than I would have expected, in areas you wouldn’t have thought would have gone down…there was certainly a trend there…

>This just proves the worthlessness of using Medians or >Averages to measure capital growth because they can both >be unduly influenced by the price range of sales in an area.

I don’t really get how medians and averages could be worthless and how you could even measure any statistics on whole suburbs without them.

I read that below-median price houses go up even more than the CG rate for a suburb, and above median properties tend to go up less.

Negative population growth areas can still show good CF returns provided people aren’t skipping town at too fast a rate (i reckon a half a percent is OK) – in fact it’s probably *why* the prices are down but the rents are OK. But I agree that some of these things only work because hardly anyone is doing it (or wasn’t – !)

>they are heavy marketers

they sure are,!!!

>If you ever drop into Auckland then feel free to give me a call.
    will do for sure, nice shooting the breeze with you

cheers-
    Mini

Profile photo of recoverymanrecoveryman
    @recoveryman

hi all
    well in NZ and have busy
    Levin 3 out of 5 agents nothing to sell
    hot hot hot
    new plymounth missed by about 1 year
    small towns good r/ts but some of the PI have been on the market over 1 year
    so if you need to get rid of them?
    rents are good and seem to consitent
    I am going back to wellington via the major and minor towns
    there are other aussies over here buying up PI
    my phone while I am in NZ if anyone wants to talk
    is 0211356620
    it is a beutitfull place and friendly people
    ther are still PI around
    but I feel it could be too late fro some of the areas (not being a expert in NZ0 I am only going on gut feel
    see ya
    recovery

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

g’day

just on medians and averages

i live in a suburb where the medium house price
    wch gets reported evry 3 months??? goes something like this

1st quarter – aud 475,000
    2nd quarter – aud 398,000
    3rd quarter – aud 550,000
    4th quarter – aud 425,000

the highest median house price for the suburb was infact back in 2000 when for a qarter it was 680,000 or thereabts

it will depend on how many or how little houses are sold. also most areas have ‘posh’ sections [^]
    so when more houses are sold from this section it can skew the results

cheers

Profile photo of recoverymanrecoveryman
    @recoveryman

I forgot to add
    the bank I am using ANZ does do up to 90% if 10% is cover by insrance about .076 of purpance price
    areas that they will not lend on unless you put in 30% or the property in > 70k
    tokoroa
    ngaruawacha
    waihi
    wanganui east
    castlecliff
    gonville
    aramohon
    patoruru
    flaxmere
    highbury
    hokitika
    westport
    gregmounth
    see ya’s
    recovery

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hello,

Could you please explain this word

quote:

purpance

I’m confused

Cheers
    Soosh [:)]

“small steps make the journey” (SAS)

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi sooshie

spoke to recovery earlier today he ment to write “purchase” price.
    Must of had one of those cheap keyboards or has been talking to so many Kiwi’s now he’s starting to spell like the way they pronounce words

westan

Participant
    @minimogul

hello

Diamond, check your emails,
    your travel agent has been busy….
    cheers-
    Mini

Profile photo of Diamond2Diamond2
    @diamond2

Hi all,
    MINI: whose second job must be as a travel agent!!The itinery is fantastic Thanks so much, Will reply to email tomorrow as i`ve gotta go watch the footy show as my fav player is out for the season & i want to hear all the goss. [xx(]Any other dejected Knights fans out there ??
    KTKIWI: Didn`t read your reply to ring today until tonight , so i will ring tomorrow & you can give me your rates on LOCS, hopefully you will be there!
    SOOSHIE: Boy , that comment made me laugh [:D][:D][:D]
    WESTAN; Thanks for clarifying recoverys spelling.Your comments also gave me a larff,oops,laugh!!!Nothing new going on up here, might touch base over the weekend.
    RECOVERY:Keep the speling misteaks cuming, their grate four a larff
    [:0)]
    See ya all
    Diamond

@westan

Hi Everyone

diamond i got proputy numbu 235830 fu $36,500, today
    if yur wonderin about the spellin just doing it so recovery can read wots goin on.

Sorry recovery i have to stack it on someone, looks like itz your tern today. I’ll give Mini a break.

Hey mini, Rod C wanted some advice also for his travels. While i’m here can i book renta car with you?

Diamond what are you talking about the Knights? There isn’t even a team called the Knights i think you meant Swans?

westan

Participant
    @minimogul

hey rod C drop your email and I’ll send you the guff I sent diamond

Diamond I will do the rest of it soon I promise!
    cheers-
    Mini

Profile photo of RodCRodC
    @rodc

Thanks mini,

it’s clarkr at powertel dot com dot au

Rod.

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

The following is incorrect. GST applies to all property acquisitions in New Zealand – residential and commercial, at a rate of 12.5%. However, if the acquiring party is a New Zealand registered company, the GST content can be claimed [refunded].

quote:

Hi Guys
    No GST is payable if buying residential property in NZ.
    If you are buying a farm it is though.
    Regards

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Guys

In reply to MichaelR I found this in one of my books-“Property Tax in New Zealand” written by Mark Withers.2002.

He states, “That for the investor, there is a signficant difference with regard to GST for those investing in residential property and those investing in commercial property.

Under the GST Act, residential rental property investment is an exempt activity for GST. This means that the investor will not be GST registered and effectively can ignore the effects of GST. However, the investor will be paying GST on costs incurred associated with his residential property investments.

For example, a property manager will charge GST on top of his 7.5% fee, and because the investor is unregistered for GST, he is unable to claim back the GST that he has been charged. However, as the GST represents a real cost o the investor it is claimed in his income tax return as part of the management expense.

With regard to commercial property, the threshold for GST registration is where the total rental income exceeds $40,000 as stated in the GST Act.p/47

With regard to traders in property, GST is a major and significant issue that must be fully understood.”p/48

I won’t go any further except to say that the residential buy and hold person is not liable for GST or income tax on the capital appreciation in the value of his investments.
    I hope this may clear up any misconceptions

Regards

Participant
    @minimogul

hey westan
    I like your 36,500 bargain, congrats!!
    Will you have to do much to it? Did you offer that unconditional? Did you get a builder’s report etc etc,
    did it have a tenant, how much, sorry for asking so many questions – don’t answer if they’re too personal etc etc

cheers-
    Mini

@westan

Hi guys

thanks muppet for clearing that up in effect it is the same as we experience.
    Mini the property is in the nead of a few powerpoints, and a good repaint on the outside i don’t have a swedish boyfriend (just as well i suppose) so i’ll have to paint it myself next year sometime. I’m looking forward to it, take the family, have a holiday and paint the house, it should add $10,000 to the value i expect. I bought it on builders report condition and finance, it is tenanted at 100pw but is in the heart of town and i’ve been told it is undervalue i should get 120pw. i’ll fix it up and put the rent up on the next tenant if this one is a good tenant which i’m told they are.
    i’m disapointed i missed you on the panel, i didn’t realize you were on so early in Sept, when are your Melbourne Gigs?
    regards westan

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

To further clarify, you are correct re: GST as it is applied to income derived from a rental property in NZ. However, in response to your original post which states “No GST is payable if buying residential property in NZ.”, my point was GST applies to the “sale” of residential and commercial property in NZ. Only if the commercial property is a “going concern”, is GST exempt.

Hope this is helpful.

quote:

Hi Guys

In reply to MichaelR I found this in one of my books-“Property Tax in New Zealand” written by Mark Withers.2002.

He states, “That for the investor, there is a signficant difference with regard to GST for those investing in residential property and those investing in commercial property.

Under the GST Act, residential rental property investment is an exempt activity for GST. This means that the investor will not be GST registered and effectively can ignore the effects of GST. However, the investor will be paying GST on costs incurred associated with his residential property investments.

For example, a property manager will charge GST on top of his 7.5% fee, and because the investor is unregistered for GST, he is unable to claim back the GST that he has been charged. However, as the GST represents a real cost o the investor it is claimed in his income tax return as part of the management expense.

With regard to commercial property, the threshold for GST registration is where the total rental income exceeds $40,000 as stated in the GST Act.p/47

With regard to traders in property, GST is a major and significant issue that must be fully understood.”p/48

I won’t go any further except to say that the residential buy and hold person is not liable for GST or income tax on the capital appreciation in the value of his investments.
    I hope this may clear up any misconceptions

Regards

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘NZ suburbs’ is closed to new replies.