All Topics / The Treasure Chest / mezanine investment

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of fulloutfullout
    @fullout

are any of u investing in mezanine funds?
    And any of you doing it through a company who gets the fund from normal investors? HOw is their performance, and are there any risks?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Fullout

Don’t do it. It is not worth the very high risk of losing all you money for a mere 25%.

A lot of HK disciples recently lost all their money when the developer went bust-some fraud involved as well. Some lost $300,000!

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of fulloutfullout
    @fullout

who or what is HK?

wow really? I thought they claim that they have many securities to migitate the risk, how they make sure 90% of the developments are sold off before the loan, how the developer’s assets are ready to be liquidated if anything goes bad, how they make sure that the capital and interest are secure before they even agree to lend the developers etc?

Is anyone esle doing this mezanine thingy, and how is it going? PLease tell your expereince in this.

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

HK – Henry Kaye
    National Investment Institute

http://www.nii.com.au

Profile photo of G-MAN007G-MAN007
    @g-man007

firstly, make sure a prospectus is provided and get your accountant to read it. Investigate the deal, the developer, the quality of previous work the location etc etc, do your own due diligence. some investment banks, eg maquarie offer mez if you have enough capital + they will guarntee your capital from any loss with a bank guarantee from a top 4 bank, this is a much safer way to go about it, unfortunately they usually require about 500K + or they wont even bother with you.

Profile photo of Elysium-MElysium-M
    @elysium-m

The risk is usually because these developments are hocked up to the eyeballs, and mezzanine debt is borrowed based on the anticipated value of the completed project.

As for mortgages, it’s usually a second, or even a third, mortgage, but definitely ranking below the bank’s mortgage (how it works is that the developer borrows most of the money from the bank, usually around 70%, and the rest from mezzanine debt and equity investors).

When the project goes sour, it usually does so before it’s completed. Which means that the bank steps in – and they only care about getting just enough to cover what they’re owed. If there’s no surplus, the mezzanine investor’s 2nd mortgage is as worthless as a politician’s promise to lower taxes (that is, sometimes it happens, but it usually doesn’t).

In some cases, the mezzanine debt is “wrapped” up in a trust structure, so you don’t even have direct rights to enforce the mortgage – you have to go through the trustee, who is usually an entity put in place by the developer. Even if it’s an independent party, there’s no guarantee that what the trustee thinks is the best course of action is what you really want done.

As you can see, the risks are high, which is why the returns are also high – to compensate for the risk. Obviously, there are projects that work, and the mezzanine investors get a nice fat payout. But you need to be prepared to lose everything you invested. If not, then invest your money somewhere else.

GMan has a point – check to see if there’s a prospectus. If there isn’t one, it may be illegal, or an unregulated “gold card” investment (meaning that it’s only for “sophisticated” or professional investors). However GMan – those $500,000+ investments you talked about are unlikely to have a prospectus, since they would be gold card investments.

Cheers
    M

@fullout

the company that approached me is called Capital Holdings here in Melbourne. They gave me a prospectus.
    bUt during the discussion, the representative said the risks are strategitically migitated and covered, by a 3 partite (or 3 tier?) agreement that if the developer screws up, the project manager will advise the bank not to sell it – instead get a new builder in etc..
    ya but when i read the prospectus, under RIsk, it says there is no guarantee that the investor will not lose their capital under a few circumstances – eg market value drops, or the developer “defaults” ( what does it mean?)….

Profile photo of LouiseLouise
    @louise

fullout – that sounds like the same prospectus that I received from CHG.

The part I didn’t like was that although you only need $5k to enter (good), you were required to maintain a $5k balance in their holding account earning a whopping 2% – 6% pa. In today’s climate, I expect it would be closer to the 2%.

And they didn’t really explain how you “got in” on the deals. Did they choose your money, or did you choose their deals.

I have also heard stories that you only get access to the big deals (ie, the 25% returns) once you’ve done some smaller ones, or when they decide they like you, or something…

Interesting to hear that some of HK’s disciples have lost money on a Mez deal. I thought he structured his so they were bulletproof (or is that just bulletproof for HK??)

@fullout

Louise,
    shucks, they didnt tell me about the $5000 minimum thing.

All i remember was this constant repetition about how important the ability to make quick and fast informed decisions is, in mezanine investing.

Maybe we do need fast decision when choosing the deal (projects), but i really need more time to do my due diligence and check out their performance first, THEN if i am happy then i will go into their Stage 2(choosing the deals). They seem to generalise too much that if you cant make the fast decision to register with them now, then u can’t cope with the fast pace of the deal choosing.

I have reason to believe that i was misleaded in the meeting to think that it is a very secure investment with very very low risk.

Louise, did u sign the form for registration? They said my credit card will be billed in 7 days, i wonder if i can pull out now, and take more time to check it out first. ( I thought i’d just fill it in, and then if i dont like it, i will pull out later, since i asked him to withhold my form first.)

I do think their info seminar on property and mezanine is very good tho.

Profile photo of G-MAN007G-MAN007
    @g-man007

hk gets people to speak about mez on the proviso that they can market to his disciples, these deals arent HK created deals.

Profile photo of Elysium-MElysium-M
    @elysium-m

Hi fullout,

I hate to say this, but the stuff the salesman fed you about having to make a quick decision was typical sales drivel. I think that’s quite unacceptable if you’re not even given a chance to properly think over your decision, or to thoroughly read the prospectus.

Your gut feeling about have to do due diligence is correct.

In all my years of working with both small and big businesses, I’ve never come across a single businessman or company director who made a snap decision to commit financially, and didn’t regret something about it later.

I’d bet you that these people probably spent months crunching the numbers and negotiating the contracts for the project before they decided to go ahead with it. No snap decisions there!

Are you saying that you charged your credit card with a $5,000 payment to buy into the project?

Anyway, I don’t think the credit card company will let you cancel the payment unless it was an unauthorised transaction.

You’d probably have to try to recover your money by alleging some kind of misleading and deceptive conduct, which you relied on in making your decision to invest. If they refuse to refund your money, the first stop is to complain to ASIC about their behaviour. If ASIC doesn’t want to know about it, you’ll probably have to hire a lawyer to get some legal advice. (please note: my post is not intended to constitute legal advice – you’ll need to hire a lawyer to give you proper legal advice).

Hope things work out for you.

Cheers
    M

Profile photo of LouiseLouise
    @louise

quote:

Louise, did u sign the form for registration?

no – I balked after reading the prospectus. Good luck in dealing with them.

Profile photo of enuffisenuffenuffisenuff
    @enuffisenuff

Terryw

Do you personally know any of HK’s people that lost their money and where was the development?

It’s pretty frightnening that HK pushes this as a good investment vehicle but this sort of thing can happen with no security.

EnuffIsEnuff

quote:

Fullout

Don’t do it. It is not worth the very high risk of losing all you money for a mere 25%.

A lot of HK disciples recently lost all their money when the developer went bust-some fraud involved as well. Some lost $300,000!

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

There was a posting made on the Somersoft forum at:
    http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?s=608dcb31ef648d9402e1a9c944173a1c&threadid=9980&highlight=mezzanine

But it has no been editied due to copyright infringements. It apears to be from an article called Flat Broke in BRW July 3, 2003

There is a link here
    http://www.brw.com.au/stories/20030703/19427.aspx
    But you have to be a subscriber to access it.

From memory, I developer was introduced to a group of NII clients. (The development company was unrelated to NII). The developer was offering mezz finance with nice interest rates. A lot of NII students signed up. The direcots of the company didn’t do things right, one even fled to NZ. The end result was a lot of people lost a lot of money.

Terryw
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Stuart WemyssStuart Wemyss
    @stuart-wemyss

I get NII students ringing me up now and then asking questions about finance (mezzanine and the like). Often they are very misinformed. I really feel sorry for these people. They have been taken advantage of and it is likely the misinformation will do more harm than good. Furthermore they don’t even know they have been taken advantage of.

I’m sure you get this as well Terry.

I look forward to the day that the law catches up with HK and NII.

Cheers

Stu

Property & Finance News
    at http://www.prosolution.com.au

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘mezanine investment’ is closed to new replies.