All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Peter Flanagan seminar – anyone else go?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of Dianne2Dianne2
    @dianne2

Just curious – did anyone else on the forum attend the Peter Flanagan “Property Riches 2003” seminar in Qld last weekend?

What did you think of it?

I thought it was very average and not good value for money at all. The best thing about it was the guest speakers, not Flanagan himself.

OK now you can either support me or crucify me!

Dianne [:D][}:)]

“Make a decision, take the risk, pay the price, or reap the rewards”

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

I read this post with interest as I went to PF intro night and thought that it was quite good (as far as free seminars go that is).

I’d be really interested to know some more information, specifically:

1. why you felt it was poor value for money
    2. who the guest speakers were and what they spoke about.
    3. how many people were there in the crowd
    4. what the topics of discussion were
    5. what you feel could have been included to make it better value for money

Any insight would be great.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of Dianne2Dianne2
    @dianne2

Steve,

I’ll answer your questions more fully tomorrow, just have time for a quick browse at the moment. Actually, I’d rather not be too specific on some items publically, so if you would like the unvarnished truth do you have a less public email address?

Dianne

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi Dianne,

Like Steve, I also attended his intro. I found a couple of things interesting, which PF didn’t expand on.
    I’d also be interested in what you thought of his seminar.
    If you are happy to, the varnished truth is okay with me, when you have time to post.

Cheers
    Sooshie [:)]

“small steps make the journey” (SAS)

Profile photo of Dianne2Dianne2
    @dianne2

The overall impression that I received at the preview evening from Peter Flanagan was that he was going to present specific strategies for the acquisition of cashflow positive properties and at least one strategy on how to deal with the market when it inevitably slows, and/or reverses.

I, also, found the preview evening to be well presented, tight, focused, and interesting, (unlike the seminar itself).

The actual seminar was over 3 days: Saturday ran from 9.00am to 10.00pm, Sunday from 9.00am to 11.30pm, and Monday 9.00am to 10.00pm which was a bit of surprise to me when I received the confirmation letter – these are very long days. As it turns out they were VERY long days – by Monday afternoon I was certainly very tired, brain dead and uninspired (and I believe I wasn’t the only one).

The information itself during the seminar was disjointed, scattered and scanty. For example one session was about negotiation (and a dead rip off of Roger Dawson’s stuff), then after a break we went into another subject (from memory a group exercise of how we would each increase our annual income by an additional $50K – although my memory of the exact order of things is now confused BECAAUSE OF the confusion and non-agenda and changing agenda) and then after another break we went back to negotiation where we had left off before.

The notes handed out comprised of a fancy looking folder containing 4 exercise books (the type you buy in a newsagency) some (I felt) poorly presented notes which sometimes did and sometimes did not relate to what was presented, and fortunately copies of the guest presenters’ slides – the most coherent notes of the lot.

Peter’s idea of presenting a strategy seems to have been, for example, saying that you can increase equity in a property by adding value such as a carport, mowing the lawn, doing renos, change the zoning, or aplit a big house into strata titles to sell off, and scribbling that onto a flip chart. And really that was about the depth and extent of his explanation. So much for strategies.

I never did hear what the strategy for a down market was, or maybe I just missed it somehow.

I complained to the organisers about how poor I felt the information to be, and I believe others did as well, and bingo! Next session he got up and said all the people looking for “recipes” to follow were basically poor misguided things who should pull their finger out and get creative and think outside the box (my words but that was the essence of his putdown).

All in all I thought that he talked a lot about concepts and very minimal nuts and bolts stuff. The first day was spent on personal growth such as mindset and thinking outside the box, not what I had expected. I have studied this sort of stuff with the best of them and Flanagan was a poor second (or third) behind in terms of his presentation skills on this.

One strategy that he did manage to explain a bit was what he called Vendor Finance Flip. It is (I think because I found it somewhat confusing) where you buy a property, on-sell with a 25 to 30% markup to someone who wants to buy but has no deposit. You line up bank finance for 80% of the “real” value of the house (ie what you paid for it so the valuation comes in to the bank’s liking) for the buyer and then arrange mezzanine finance for the balance of the increased price. The theory is that the buyer gets the finance with no cash down, the vendor sells the property outright with a markup walking away with the cash and no further interest in the property. The concept is that you are providing the finance package (as in a normal wrap) but you pick up the profit immediately.

I question the ethics of this one, plus if the vendor can qualify for the finance anyway why would they pay you the extra for the privilege? Flanagan would say that I see the “glass half empty” and am “problem focused not solution focused”.

The guest speakers on the other hand were completely different and professional. Dymphna Boholts presented a great session on structuring ie trusts, and even though I am familiar with this I did find out a few new things. Bill Zheng presented Creative Finance and again I picked up a few things. Peter Comben presented Creative Property Development and area I knew nothing about and found interesting if not a little scary.

Although Flanagan said in a letter that this would be “unique” and a “life changing” event, I certainly did not find that to be the case. I learned nothing from him that I did not already know, however the novices at the seminar probably would have found it of much better value than me.

I could carry on but I think you get the idea. I have sent the organisers a letter outlining my dissatisfaction overall, let’s see if I get an answer!

Dianne

Profile photo of Anthony1Anthony1
    Participant
    @anthony1

quote:

Steve,

I’ll answer your questions more fully tomorrow, just have time for a quick browse at the moment. Actually, I’d rather not be too specific on some items publically, so if you would like the unvarnished truth do you have a less public email address?

Dianne

Participant
    @anthony1
    Quote:
    Dianne,
    Do you know how one could contact Bill Zheng or whether he has an offic in Melbourne?
    Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Dianne,

I have booked in to attend Peter Flanagan’s seminar at high noon next Tuesday, Canberra. This was independant of your post, and as a result of an ad in the local paper.

Thanks for your observations. Cynically, I expect to meet brokers, estate agents and perhaps a bank if he has one on side. This is how I expect him to make a cut from the seminar. Putting the package together. I was interested to note from the ad that the quotes and terminology were very similar to that which I had read in Steve’s book.

I’m now about to post my own “newbie” questions to the forum. I will also report back to you with my own perception of the seminar.

Kind regards, Phil

Participant
    @anthony1

Dianne,

Was wondering whether you have contact details for Bill Zheng?

Profile photo of mekozoemekozoe
    @mekozoe

Hi Phil

I have just arrived home form that free seminar in Canberra. I got a couple of useful things and thought he presetned alright. I got a real shock at the price of the 4day seminar that the freebie is set up to advertise. This guy is at least 2x the cost of attending a personal growth seminar in syd with Anthony Robbins and that is the discounted price. I’m not sure his presentation skills or energy match that of Anthony Robbins. Too much for me to pay. I shall surf the net instead for pearls of wisdom. What did you think Phil [?]

Profile photo of FreemeFreeme
    @freeme

I’d like to present a different view on the Peter Flanagan seminar, which I attended in July at Coolum. There were around 400 people there and the same selection of guest speakers. While Peter may not be as polished as some presenters, the essence of his information is still extremely valuable. Thanks to his system of rotating groups, my husband and I met literally hundreds of other students at the course and yes, there were a number who shared Dianne’s opinions. But the majority were learning and keen to put Peter’s ideas into action. Perhaps part of the problem was the bid to address the requirements of both beginners and more advanced investors.
    Peter and his team do not try to sell anything – it is against the policy of the event managers, Breakfree Events. However they do provide plenty of contacts and networking opportunities.
    We have kept in touch with a number of students from the course and attend “power groups” where we can exchange ideas and information. This has led to a number of opportunities for purchasing property (positively cash-flowed!), getting involved in cash-creating deals and joint ventures.
    I think the reason Peter does not provide in-depth information on any one strategy is because there are so many different strategies, each appropriate in different situations. He is trying to get you to think like a creative investor so that you can make money in all different markets.
    So from my experience, I would recommend the seminar. Having been to a number of other seminars, I thought it was good value for money, particularly paying as a couple.
    I’m happy to field any further questions.
    For those wanting to get in touch with Bill Zheng’s company, based in Melbourne, the number is 1800 668 778
    Freeme

Profile photo of slick41slick41
    @slick41

Hi Dianne,

I attended his free intro in Melb, and found his presentation skills quite good, and even learnt a couple of things.

I was totally shocked at the price of the paid seminar, and it put me out of the market immediately.

My real question is, that PF offered a full money back guarantee, and he guaranteed up to $750 further reimbursement to cover accom/travel costs; If there were so many unhappy people – did anyone ask for their money back? Did you ask for your money back?

I was left feeling skeptical about this guarantee and the seminar contents.

Best Regards,
    Damien

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Peter Flanagan seminar – anyone else go?’ is closed to new replies.