Forums / Treasure Chest (Past Forums) / The Treasure Chest / young investor seeks advice – HELP!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of staffyukstaffyuk
    Member
    @staffyuk
    Join Date: 2003
    Post Count: 0

    dear board members. Heres my situation. I currently own a townhouse in unley sa. Value conservatively at $200000. I owe $104000 therefore feel i have $96000 equity. I have also built up approx $20000 of extra payments that is available to redraw. My ? is should i draw on equity to finance a 2nd unit or use the redraw. I want to buy a unit for $190000 and will borrow the total plus costs. Would love advice please. I will claim tax deductions ie neg gear but am happy to foot some extra out of pocket expense as see it as an investment longterm. Ie earn approximately $58000. Thank you.

    Profile photo of jempirejempire
    Participant
    @jempire
    Join Date: 2001
    Post Count: 19

    Hi

    Use the redraw and equity and why not buy 2 or 3 properties?

    Profile photo of Stuart WemyssStuart Wemyss
    Member
    @stuart-wemyss
    Join Date: 2003
    Post Count: 598

    A purchase of $190,000 in SA will cost you approximately $198,500 (inc. stamps, etc.).

    I suggest you finance 80% of the purchase price through a separate loan (therefore, $152,000). The remaining 20% plus costs would need to be financed by drawing down on the equity in your existing property. You would need to draw down $46,500 ($198,500 – $152,000). As such, your redraw of $20,000 is insufficient. You will need to increase your loan to $151,000 (Being $104,000 + $47,000). You will need to do this first so that you will be ready to pay for the deposit.

    Your overall LVR will be less than 80% therefore no mortgage insurance cost.

    You should be in a position to qualify for a loan of this size (based on $58k salary + $10k rental income).

    Hope this helps.

    Cheers

    Stu

    Property & Finance News
    at http://www.prosolution.com.au

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘young investor seeks advice – HELP!’ is closed to new replies.