All Topics / The Treasure Chest / low maintenance landscaping

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of potzmoapotzmoa
    @potzmoa

Can you help me out here for low maintenance landscaping ideas. We have removed a sad and very outdated garden and are starting from scratch again. We have retained a couple of large trees and we have added wooden fences to give privacy to the tenants. There is now an awful bare stretch of land along the driveway.
    It has been suggested to me to cover with bark to reduce weeds and plant native trees. This is in NZ by the way. There are also narrow strips close to the fences.
    Look forward to hearing your suggestions.[:)]

Ciao,
    Potzmoa

Profile photo of dr housedr house
    Participant
    @dr-house

Do as little as possible, tenants do not look after gardens.
    Bark will eventually disappear, it needs periodic maintenance.
    How about just some native bushes or small tree?
    Most tenants don’t fuss to much about gardens.

Profile photo of BronwenCairnsBronwenCairns
    Participant
    @bronwencairns

If this is a rental, I agree, use the KISS theory. Keep I Simple. Natives look after themselves so you won’t need to worry.
    When & If you choose to sell you could always put in some basic gardens to make it took pretty then.

Bron

Profile photo of tamaratamara
    @tamara

Hi

I agree KIS. One of our properties has a bare garden bed. I has had so since it was purchased a number of years ago. It has primarily like this because each group of tennants have not wished to garden and this garden is under the eaves where no water gets and very few weeds appear. We have decided that if we have tenants who wish to care for a garden we will purchase native plants but appart from that a very rare piece of maintenance is necessary

In summary it depends on you and your tenants in my opinion.

Tamara

Profile photo of potzmoapotzmoa
    @potzmoa

Thanks for the advice. We have gone simple, no clutter and keeping natives of the same variety. We have gone with bark and native plantings. We plan to hold onto the property so in the long term it will pay off. [:D]

Ciao,
    Potzmoa

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘low maintenance landscaping’ is closed to new replies.