All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Tax Question depreciation on fittings

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of hwd007hwd007
    @hwd007

Tax Question depreciation on fittings

Hi, I am purchasing a property should i have paid for the air conditioning unit last financial year to claim depreciation against this years income ? rather than this financial year where I will have to wait 12 months before I can claim ? unless I do the 15-15 thing.

Profile photo of DramDram
    @dram

Hi,

New A/c unit? It’s my understanding that you claim the depreciation on the previous year. So, buy the A/C now and this time next year claim depreciation.

What’s the 15-15 Thing[?]

Cheers.

Profile photo of hwd007hwd007
    @hwd007

Thanks OK thats not my problem. What I want to do is claim it against last financial years income. So I guess I should have bought it last year before June 30 ?

Profile photo of DramDram
    @dram

Because it would be new it has not depreciated. So can’t claim anything until next year. As I understand it, even if you had bought the A/C on 29 Jun, you would only be able to claim 1 day worth of depreciation.

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Cheers.

Profile photo of hwd007hwd007
    @hwd007

Oh I see. thanx.

Profile photo of scottscott
    @scott

Hi Dram,
    Your 100% right, depreciation (as far as I’ve been advised), starts from the day of purchase. So if you bought on the 30th, you would only get 1 days depreciation for last year! If you had a maintainance expense on the 30th, it would be fully claimable. Don’t try to claim the A/C as maint exp, cause thats exactly the sort of thing the ATO are cracking down on!

Cheers,
    Scott S

“Aim for the stars and you’ll shoot the top of the telegraph pole. Aim for the top of the telegraph pole and you’ll shoot yourself in the foot!”
    -anon

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tax Question depreciation on fittings’ is closed to new replies.