All Topics / The Treasure Chest / New Zealand investing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi everyone
    i’m off to NZ on saturday with my 10 yr son. we are looking for properties in the south Island, a bit of site seeing also.
    i am thinking of south of Christchurch, most likely Timaru, Oamaru, Dunedin or south Otago.
    Anyone got anything to say that can help?
    Or anyone want me to do some investination for them, let me know by Friday.
    I like Oamaru because of Project Aqua ($1.2 billion), but some of the returns around Balclutha, Gore look great.
    thanks
    Westan

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

good luck westan – I think you’re onto it.
    cheers-
    Mini

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Hi Westan

I am looking forward to hearing your report when you return, I think many of us are keen to invest there, but just don’t have the contacts. It will be interesting to see what you think.

And have fun.

Cheers
    Leigh K[:D]

Read, learn, grow but most of all just do it.

Profile photo of potzmoapotzmoa
    @potzmoa

They say that Invercargill could be an interesting place for property investing. Tim Shadbolt, the Mayor of Invercargill, pushed the Southern Institute of Technology, tertiary education, encouraging students to the area. This is working well. Invercargill is pro-technology so they have high speed internet. Important for attracting young people.
    Dunedin is a university town, lots of students during term time. [:)]

Ciao,
    Potzmoa

Profile photo of potzmoapotzmoa
    @potzmoa

I’m a kiwi living in Japan and have local knowledge of Christchurch and Auckland. We have investment properties in Christchurch. It seems that lots of Aussies want information about NZ investing. There is a lot written about Property Investing in Australia and when I was in Melbourne visiting I was amazed with the size of the property investment section in the bookshops. NZ is following along and more information will come in time. When I was looking for property in Melbourne and Sydney last year in August 2002, I felt that I was too late to buy a ‘bargain.’ The rental returns in the Melbourne and Sydney were well down from NZ but the land values were much higher appreciating. It is not easy to deal from afar but it just takes time and research and trips.

Ciao,
    Potzmoa

Profile photo of scottscott
    @scott

Hi Potzmoa,
    It’s good to get a bit of local knowledge on NZ, I’ve been intereted in investing over there since talking to MiniMogul at the masters seminar, but I don’t believe in buying without fully researching an area. As you say it’s not easy dealing from afar! At least now I’ve got some places that I can research over there. Still there’s no substitute for local knowledge.

Thanks for the tips.

Best wishes
    Scott S

“Aim for the stars and you’ll shoot the top of the telegraph pole. Aim for the top of the telegraph pole and you’ll shoot yourself in the foot!”
    -anon

Profile photo of DaveCDaveC
    @davec

Hi Westan

“Anyone got anything to say that can help?”

Well what can I say??

Take your winter woolies!!!!

Does Tim Shadbolt still tow his concrete mixer behind the mayoral vehicle at tax payer’s expense???

Forgiven but never forgotten!!!

Good luck

Take care
    Dave [:)]

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

dave i’ve got no idea what you are talking about, better be careful who i ask it may be his relative. Anyway i will pack my woolies looks very cool on the forecasts
    thanks westan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘New Zealand investing’ is closed to new replies.