All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Airless spray gun advice PLEASE

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of Dianne2Dianne2
    @dianne2

I had a quote recently to repaint the interior of a basic 3br IP and nearly fell over when it came in at $2.5K![:O]

I figure it’s a hellovalot cheaper to just go do it myself and remembered the reno kings at the seminar talking about how easy it is to use an airless spray gun.

Has anyone ever used one? Is it as easy as they say? Are there any tricks to it? Can a not so young woman manage to lug one around on her own?

Any advice would be appreciated.[:)]

Dianne

“Make a decision, take the risk, pay the price, or reap the rewards”

Profile photo of neologismneologism
    @neologism

hmm i’ve helped my dad reno 2 IP’s and i used a paint roller and paint brush with ease for the 1st time, id say it’d properly end up cheaper than hiring an airless spray gun (i’ve never heard of this!?) is it just a presure pack can or what? how do u spray the paint with no air??

Profile photo of neologismneologism
    @neologism

oh also when dad painted his houses he just got the cheapest paint he could find (basic brand, basic mix) and added a bit of bon-creat into the mix makes it last longer and more durable and also if your walls arnt all that good u wont have to use as many coats of paint.. i’ll try find out the mixture if anyone wants it i think it only cost him maybe a little over $300 to paint the whole inside of the house (doing it ourselfs).. a little cheaper than 2.5k!!

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Hi Dianne,

We have done 2 reno’s which incl. painting whole house, and we also obtained quotes for the painting. We were quoted $3000 – $4500 for inside of one average 3BR house. I think it depends whether the painter has a lot of jobs on at the time or not! After doing it ourselves, I think that $2500 is reasonable!!!!

We did it ourselves, with extension rollers and brushes. It takes a whole day to do your preparation work, i.e. cleaning down walls and filling gaps etc… If you skimp on your preparation, your whole job will look cheap. Always tape around windows etc. in advance. It’s a lot easier than trying to scratch it off later.

I believe that using an airless spray gun would be good to do on our next one, now that we have learned a few basics.

If you can wash your car in a manual car wash, you can use an airless spray gun. Similiar technique. You should use an acrylic water base paint, cause it’s thinner, and easier to clean up mistakes. Always use an undercoat/sealer to get an even coverage. It will probably cost you a couple hundred to hire one for one day.

Good luck,
    WILANDEL

Profile photo of OzbrokerOzbroker
    @ozbroker

Dianne

I priced out an airless spray gun through one of the tool companies in Newcastle after doing the REno Kings course in Brisbane, and it was around $1500 to $1600 to buy. If you look at your quotes, and are going to do more, it would be worth while purchasing.

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

I’d love to find out the bon-creat mixture recipe. Sounds like a fabulous idea.
    Just done a reno and maybe will do another in the next few months….cheers
    Mini

Profile photo of spider_2spider_2
    @spider_2

hi dianne
    have you done any reno painting before? you really need to make sure that your prep work is spot on. i’d prefer to do it by hand the first time – I’ve done three with my partner. Don’t go for the cheapest paint, use one that suits the application and always keep a log/diary of the type and colours of paints you use in each IP. This served us well when a tenant recently had an accident and needed to have it repaired. The real estate manager greatly appreciated the info.
    If your IP is brick and you chose to Air-less spray the outside then after preparation and before applying paint spray the walls lightly with water, then light mist spray from one end to the other before a final covering coat. Do not do it on a windy day or the consequences could be very costly.
    To do the whole job yourself without taking short cuts will help identify possible problems and costs with future Ip’S that you look at that have had a cosmetic touch up.

Have fun
    H & spider

Profile photo of MJKMJK
    @mjk

You can buy an airless spray gun from Bunnings for under $300. A good brand is a Wagner. They are very quick but you get heaps of overspray, so here’s the summary. If you are doing the ceiling the same colour as the walls and can mask off the floor PROPERLY then go the gun, BUT if you have cutting in to do forget it!
    Now, I sprayed my 20mtr picket fence in 4 hours two coats on bare wood and you might say thats fantastic, but I also had to pay $150 to get my neighbors car cut and polished. Luckily we have a panel beater in the family. Some other panel beaters wanted $500.

Hope this helps.

MJK

Profile photo of Dianne2Dianne2
    @dianne2

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Dianne

“Make a decision, take the risk, pay the price, or reap the rewards”

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Airless spray gun advice PLEASE’ is closed to new replies.