All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Do I have to settle, this year to pre-pay interest

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of hwd007hwd007
    @hwd007

[?]Do I have to settle, this financial year to pre-pay interest for next year ? I have this problem where by, settlement may not occur within the next two weeks. Does this mean I will miss out on the opportunity to pre-pay my interest ? or are these two events independent ?

For example do I just have to borrow the money this financial year and then pre-pay the interest before I settle possibly next financial year in 3 weeks time ? Solicitor says they may not be able to settle as it takes 14 days to do the searches. I am running boarder line here.

If I cant pre-pay I will loose $6000 in tax refunds against this years income.

Urgently seeking Advice.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Profile photo of OzbrokerOzbroker
    @ozbroker

Dave

You need to settle within this financial year.

Regards

Mark

Profile photo of hwd007hwd007
    @hwd007

Mark thanx. Gees that was a quick response. One can see how this property thing can become an obsession. People on all hours of the night.

cheers.

Profile photo of truebluetrueblue
    @trueblue

I think you also need to have a tenant in place as well. Otherwise, there is no income to offset your expense. But check with your accountant.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I don’t think you would need a tenant in place as long as you had the property up for rent. ie you were trying to find a tenant.

Terryw
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of OzbrokerOzbroker
    @ozbroker

As Trueblue and Terry said, the property needs to be up for rent. A sign in the yard indicating the property is available for rent would seem a good course of action, and perhaps a photograph of it in place, dated.

This still relates to the property settling this financial year.

Regards

Mark

Profile photo of hwd007hwd007
    @hwd007

Thanks People. I put an add in the Brisbane TradingPost yesterday, so I guess thats proof enough ? Even though I aint purchased it yet. :/
    And may not even get to the way the bank is going on about it. I have signed the contract of purchase though so i could be in deep SH_T

Well I guess when u pay $229K for a 1 bed unit with study and the selling agent says u could get $250 a week, the bank is likely to raise eybrows. That said I have seen others advertised for that and it is brand new and close to the CBD.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Do I have to settle, this year to pre-pay interest’ is closed to new replies.