All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Property Seminars pushing up property prices…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of DavidUDavidU
    @davidu

Hi All

The tone of this is meant to be tongue in cheek, but I believe there is an element of truth to it.

Is it just my imagination, but it seems that in the weeks following a major property investing seminar the prices around major Regional towns (Victoria in my case) soar?!

In the last few weeks activity in the places that I invest in has been at a break neck pace and according to local RE agents, out of town investors are ‘foolishly’ making FULL priced offers on already over priced properties sight unseen! ie Internet lurkers

Now I am one who is in total agreeance that it is better to take action than to do nothing at all, but at the same time there must be a realisation that the profit is made in the purchasing not in the selling?!

It is certainly dangerous, I feel to buy over priced properties ‘willy nilly’ in areas that you have little or no knowledge of, on the back of ‘seminar motivation’ and cheap money without a clear exit strategy.

I guess those that will benefit will be those who were astute or lucky enough to be holding property in these regional areas that were purchased at the right price.

I for one, will be waiting for Steve’s book to come out before I offload my portfolio to fund my big move to NZ…

Hmmm….

Or perhaps I should wait for the next seminar…

All tongue in cheek of course[:)]

Cheers

David U

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

David,

I agree with everything you said. I experienced this yesterday in a SMALL regional town about 320kms from Melb.

The RE Agent’s eyes were still bulging, when in the last 3 days, about 4 investors have come in and bought anything they could find.

They are buying like it’s their last supper – don’t leave any scraps !!

FOOLS AND THEIR MONEY ARE SOON PARTED !!

Del

Profile photo of Lindy-dLindy-d
    @lindy-d

So if you keep an eye on the area it is quite possible the properties may come back on the market soon when the investors realise they have jumped in the deep end without a life jacket!

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Never let hype stand in the way of good sense.

And… if everyone is fishing in one market, go and find another.

And… frenzy preceeds market correction.

Well, that’s what I think anyway.

Bye,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

I do agree that property investing does seem to be flavour of the month, and not just because I actively read and learn about it – I think it’s a worldwide trend to do with a lot of things – 1) people moving away from the stockmarket at the moment because it’s too fickle 1b) managed funds aren’t getting the returns people expected 2) fear of buying a ‘ledger entry’ – people are wanting to have the security of a bricks’n’sticks investment that you can actually touch and has a use
    3) people like property because it is an investment you can improve rather than just pray and hope about
    4) super funds have been going down not up 5) an ageing population of baby-boomers are starting to worry about their retirement 6) the gradual phasing out of government assistance for retired people means people are having to start thinking about funding their retirement now.

to list but a few.
    The education wave of Kiyosaki, tony Robbins, jon burley, richmastery, rick otton, reno kings, and lastly our man Steve McKnight is not a coincidence – there is a demand for this knowledge, because people who have traditionally handed over control of their money – money being the conversion of a person’s life-energy – are not getting the results they want from the so-called experts, and now want to take matters into their own hands.

As far as how that reflects on properties in previously cheap rural areas…well as far as I can tell, before, traditionally, negative gearing is how most people have done it- buying in areas which are poised to go up up up – location location location, by the sea, capital cities, capital gain. If capital gain is now maybe in doubt (bubbles said to be bursting?) or not able to be guaranteed by Divine decree, then there is going to be a big demand for positive cashflow properties – which people are starting to be aware of now – they’ve heard of them, they like the idea, and they want some.

( personally I reckon it’s investor confidence or lack of which makes a bubble burst – not any actual ‘thing’ that happes. people start talking about “bubbles bursting” out of fear that it might, papers sensationalise it, write big headlines, spread it further, and that makes it a self-fulfilling prophecy. Fear is so contagious!

So back to the investors. There are always going to be more investors with less money….(*self-conscious grin*) so they’re going to look for bargains at the bottom of the market. However there are a kazillion investors living in cities, all looking at investing in these tiniest smallest towns of 5 thousand, that were previously lucky to sell 27 houses a year and now selling that many in a month. Places that used to have houses on the market for, like, 4 years and it’s now 4 days!
    To me, it’s not surprising that properties are starting to ‘run out’, or go up in price. Great for those that have already bought there though.

Like Steve says, solve peoples’ problems and make money.I guess it’s about a changing climate and how well we all adapt.

cheers-
    Mini

Profile photo of dr housedr house
    Participant
    @dr-house

So where are the tenants going to come from?
    Especially in those small towns, if invesotrs are buying so many of those properties.

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

rental demand is very high in most small towns, i wouldn’t be supprised if the next census shows a return of people to country Vic. Area around me are growing again after years of decline. Areas like Ararat, Stawell Horsham are buzzing even little towns like St Arnaud are doing we even though we are in the middle of a drought. As far as purchase prices goes- Kennett neally killed rural and regional victoria. for the last 3 years prices are starting to play catch up to Melb. When you look at the figures many towns had virtually no growth for 10 years. The latrobe valley went backwards big time. You can still buy properties returning 10% return in many areas this is going to keep demand high. but other areas the return is down to 6% so i’d be careful with such a low return
    westan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Property Seminars pushing up property prices…’ is closed to new replies.