All Topics / The Treasure Chest / From joint tennants to tennants in common

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of honkytonkhonkytonk
    @honkytonk

Hi All;

Could you please offer solutions in relation to the following sencenairo;

A married couple are separating and they have a house in joint names. One partner has agreed to give the house to the other partner. How does this partner transfer the property into the other partners name only. This in WA and bearing in mind that there is very little equity for each partner in this property.

What option are avialable in this instance

Thanking you all in advance. Thank you.

Profile photo of wayne_2wayne_2
    @wayne_2

Hi Honkytonk, Idon’t know how it is in western australia but in victoria you can transfer the property to a spouse without a lot of the cost of a normal sale but I would imagine that would need to be done before any divorce etc.I would suggest you should speak to a solicitor who can advise you in such matters.
    Hope this is some help and God bless.

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Honkytonk, the same thing happened to me 8 years ago but in Vic. from memory the house was transferd into my name and little or no stamp duty applied. The major point for me was that my income at the time didn’t meet the banks criteria(just something to consider)

Chris

Profile photo of truebluetrueblue
    @trueblue

There’s no stamp duty involved when a husband transfer his portion to the wife and vice versa, or even to any member of the family for that matter in WA. Just get a settlement agent to do it. It’s pretty cheap. Good luck.

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi,

I think you could transfer it for ‘Love and affection’ without incurring stamp duty, but in this situation…that would be a far stretch… [:P]

Cheers
    Sooshie [:)]

“Giving is a Blessing, receiving is the bonus”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘From joint tennants to tennants in common’ is closed to new replies.