All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Look Before Your Leap Suggestion

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of NessieNessie
    @nessie

Hi all

For those of you who were at the weekend Master will probably recall Steve’s comment. For those who weren’t I would like to make you aware of it.

Steve said that there are many of you using the Forum who are asking the same or similar questions many times over.
    I for one certainly find this a little frustrating.

May I suggest (which is what I think Steve was saying on the weekend) that if any of you have a question, you should first be searching the formum for your answer and then if you still have a question you put your question together with what you think the answer might be for others on the forum to comment on.

Cheers
    Nessie

Profile photo of Brett_2Brett_2
    Participant
    @brett_2

Yup I agree. Perhaps a good idea would be to make an inclusion in the ‘terms and conditions’ just mentioning that a good approach would be to search the forum first for posts relating to your query, and then if nothing is found or doesnt address the question enough, to create a new posting.

On a related issue, there are several posts now and then with something along the lines of “Where can I buy property in XXXX area for XXXX price” etc. Whilst I’m certainly all for helping each other out, I don’t think its fair to ask others to do all your leg work for you.

Just a thought [8D]

Regards,
    Brett [:)]

“Even if you’re on the right track you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Hi Guys

I appreciate what you are saying and I too find it frustrating having the same questions over and over but I see it as paying my due’s.

I know I asked ton’s of dumb questions at first and many of the replies I received were to do a search so I know I was also frustrating others. But it is swings and round-abouts.

Have patients and help each other out.

Now having said that, for the wish list I also think there should be a final screen at registration explaining in bullet point form the top 5 things that will get a best responce for new members.

Cheers
    Leigh K

Read, learn, grow but most of all just do it.

Profile photo of ThunderThunder
    @thunder

Hi Guys,

Could I suggest a ‘Newbie’ frequently asked question (FAQ)link. I think we need to appreciate that we were, or are, at a stage where we are information gathering and really have no idea what questions to ask and where to find the answers.

Those who were at the seminar discussed getting over our fears, I suggest for many one of those fears would be to show how little they know by posting what others would consider basic questions.

I think its important we keep helping as many as possible.

Regards
    Simon

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Nessie

This topic has been covered before!

(This is a joke)

Terryw
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi there,

I share your frustration, however I’m hoping that just by directing them to the post that the topic was covered in and pasting in the link, will help the newbies at the site. It might also clue them in to the idea that there is more than one page of information here [;)].
    I’m still looking for information and I haven’t covered every post or link or article here.
    I don’t think the newbies are being lazy I think they are just unsure of how the forum runs.

What do you think?

Cheers
    Sooshie [:)]
    (By the way Simon…nice to see you at the forum again [:)])

“Giving is a Blessing, receiving is the bonus”

Profile photo of DaveCDaveC
    @davec

Hi there

I’m new on the forum here and I’m still finding my way around. I certainly don’t see a problem with helping others navigate to a previously discussed topic after all we’re here to help each other aren’t we????

I guess if in the future when I’m not so much of a newbie that I have to repeat myself several times, it’s not going to bother me knowing that I’m doing the best I can to help someone else.

I feel if you’ve made the effort to log on to the forum and than have the guts to ask a question, I take my hat off to you. You’ve got to be serious about what you’re asking right?????

Therefore if it takes a little bit of extra effort on my part to help get someone across the line with their understanding I’ll do it!!

Take care
    Dave

ps how do you get the smiley faces onto your post???

Profile photo of brentbrent
    Participant
    @brent

Hey Guys,

Fair point with the issue of questions being previously answered. I can see both sides of the coin though.

When we get the new, upgraded forums, we’re able to put up ‘sticky notes’ – posts which essentially stay at the top of the forums. Perhaps the first sticky note should be a welcome message, followed by some tips on getting the most out of the forums.

quote:

ps how do you get the smiley faces onto your post???

Ahh, the smilies [8D]
    The answer is… not telling.. [:D]
    Kidding, kidding.

When you’re posting a message, you’ll notice that you have a whole bunch of smilies next to the message box. It’s just a matter of clicking on one of these.
    The forum software will enter in a little piece of code, and when you view the post, your smiley will appear.

To learn more about this, visit https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/faq.asp#smilies

I hope this helps

Warm Regards

Brent Hodgson
    PropertyInvesting.com

Profile photo of DaveCDaveC
    @davec

Hi Brent

Thanks for that

Take care
    Dave [:)]

Profile photo of MalaMala
    @mala

Hi there,

Just a comment on the above..

A mentor once said to me, ” the best way to learn yourself is by teaching others”. I see repeating myself as a bonus, especially if you are trying to educate yourself as a newbie… I am a newbie and what I read on here, I repeat to others just like me and that helps me to learn faster…
    [:P]

Profile photo of FUNFUN
    @fun

Just a suggestion for ‘sticky notes’Brent mentioned. When posting a new topic, may be helpful to put up a more descreptive title for the topic, not necessary long. Because I find that there are too many topics posted everyday, and I usually have not enough time to check out every thing. It may be helpful for others to search as well in the future.

From FUN

Profile photo of dr housedr house
    Participant
    @dr-house

Its already partly done but may I suggest having a much more structured forum.
    Eg. Break up into different topics:
    Finance, Renovations, wraps, tenants,
    Structure (company/trust/individual)
    buying/selling, negotiations, legals,
    Real estate property managers, tax/accountancy issues, developers, courses/education.
    These are to name a few.
    It would make it much much easier for readers and contributors, sometimes you have to go thru’ lists and list of topics that may be not of great interest.
    If we can have a function that allows you to push the button for a certain topic, eg accountancy, you can read what has been said.
    It would make the newcomers’ lot much easier, because, yes, they all tend to ask the same questions again and again.
    I am glad this resource is available to us all, when I started, I was very unclear and no resource like this! So I sympathise!

Profile photo of Gatbe7Gatbe7
    @gatbe7

Hi All,

As a newbie I agree that we ask what you old hands will call stupid questions that have been asked time and time again.[:I] But remember what it was like when you first started.[?] Yes you can read books and learn, but if you don’t have a mentor or a teacher to bounce ideas off then how can you expand this learning.[B)]

It would be a great idea if when placing a post you can select certain criteria that will make the search more user friendly.[:P] I remember trying to find the “11 Second Rule” on the forum as someone said it was previously placed on the discussion board. I had no luck and unfortunately I still don’t understand this rule.[xx(]

Anyway if something could be done to make searches easier it would be greatly appreciated. And I would ask all of you to have a little bit of patience with us novices. [:D]

Thanks

Adam
    [8D]

Profile photo of lynne14lynne14
    @lynne14

Hello, As a newbie I agree that it is hard to search the site to find answers and if the topics had better titles it may make it easier. But. I have just been to the search function and put in 11 second rule and found the great answer by AD. it was dated 12/4/3 check it out. the title is what is the 11 second rule. So may be it’s not so hard afterall. ps. has that search function always been there?
    Lynne

Profile photo of Gatbe7Gatbe7
    @gatbe7

Hi Lynne,

Thank you, thank you, thank you! [:D][:D][:D]

OK I confess the search function is better than I gave it credit for.

And Andrew, thanks for the post![:P]

Cheers

Adam

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

If it has helped you Adam it was well worth posting. There really is a lot of info tucked away in the history on this site. I was shown some of the early posts by Brent last week and it is great to see how far this site has come. Well done to everyone who contributes.

Enjoy
    AD [:0)]
    (Andrew)

“”Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”
    Albert Einstein

Profile photo of LittleMermaidLittleMermaid
    @littlemermaid

I am a “newbie, and attended the seminar last weekend. The last thing that any of us “new kids on the block” need is to feel inadequate, but it takes a little time to learn how this forum operates, so I guess all you old hands may need to be a little patient.[;)]

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Look Before Your Leap Suggestion’ is closed to new replies.