All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Investing in New Zealand

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of NeillNeill
    @neill

Hi all, this is my first posting to this site.[:D]

I have read some comments on this site recently about the high yields that can be achieved in NZ. I have checked out some NZ property search engines (eg. http://www.realenz.co.nz/) and done some basic research on limitations for overseas investors in NZ (available through the same web site).

It does not seem hard to find properties with rental yields of 10-15%, which makes me wonder ‘is there something I am missing’ and why aren’t more Australians purchasing property there? Does anybody out there have any experience of investing in NZ? Can anyone recommend a buyers agent I might deal with? Are there any tax or other traps I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.[8D]

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi there and welcome to the forum…

Congratulations on your first post, your first step to financial freedom!
    I have heard about NZ aswell, like most investors, they won’t all come out screaming where they look for properties or waving their money around. Investors are everywhere. Many would say that if they can still find property that meets their criteria around their local area, which they know best, why move? When I go fishing, If I find a fishing spot where the fish are biting, I wouldn’t leave till I’ve got my quota, then I’d think of moving!
    I’d like to hear more about your research. Thank you for the link!

Cheers and Welcome
    Sooshie [:)]

“Giving is a Blessing, receiving is the bonus”

Profile photo of www.Landlords.co.nzwww.Landlords.co.nz
    @www.landlords.co.nz

Yes BUT [:D]
    (ooh im picking up the aussie slang already)

if the fish thats filling your quota, gets taxed by a shark when youre reeling it in.(stamp duty)

when you land it (land tax)

and then when you want to eat it for fullness gain (capital gains tax)

That initally fat fish doesnt look anywhere near plump enough compared to a country with none of those, and higher yields [8)]

Craig

NZ Property Investing News
    http://www.Landlords.co.nz

Profile photo of DavidUDavidU
    @davidu

Perfectly said Craig

That’s why I’m packing my bags and moving permanently to NZ in the near distant future.

It’s the path of least resistance as far as I am concerned.

Cheers

David U

Profile photo of hwd007hwd007
    @hwd007

where is the best area to invest in NZ ?

@davidu

Hi

I guess it depends on what you call ‘best’?

If you’re asking about CF +.? Answer is: Everywhere

David U

Profile photo of tamaratamara
    @tamara

David

People always think the grass is always greener on the other side but in my opinion both nz and oz have their benefits when it comes to investing in Property.

I guess when investing it all comes down to your financial goals. To me investing both in oz and nz will help us fulfil our financial goals.

Tamara[:)]

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi David

i am also seriously thinking of going to NZ to live for at least 12 months just to invest in property. (it will be a great experience for the family also). I’m heading down South, where are you thinking of going? i have to sort out a few things here but should be relocated by January.
    regards Westan

Profile photo of LeighLeigh
    @leigh

Hey, Hey.

I’ve just been discussing with Minimogul options of living in NZ for 12 months next year too.

Thinking of Queenstown (snowboarding & fun also a priority [8D]).

Mini’s getting upto 30% returns on her rentals!

“If you can count your money, you don’t have a billion dollars”
    J. Paul Getty

@davidu

Hi Westan

I’m heading for Christchurch, so we’re heading in the same direction mid next year (probably earlier), as have still have a number of loose ends to tie up here.

Glad that you’ve had some success over there. If you would like to discuss, please feel free to contact me on [email protected]

Cheers

David U

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi all
    leigh, Queenstown is a great place, my cheap motel was $85 a double and on the foreshore, 50 meters from the Eanrslaw (steam ship) in the heart of town, love the place especially during winter festival. But to buy in Queenstown is very expensive as is Wanaka.
    dave i love Christchurch also: a big country town but nice and central to everything. i think i will head further south, maybe as low as Balclutha i lived there for one year as a kid.
    will compare notes with you soon
    westan

@leigh

I’m getting really excited about moving over there for a year with all of the posts on NZ lately.

And seeing as I’m keen to see all of NZ (I love travelling and adventuring) and there seems to be abundant opportunities all over the place I’m contemplating a campervan approach, spend a month in 12 thought out hot spots/areas – at least 2 of those at the top of a mountain skiing!. Will save me some $$’s on rent and I’m free to go anywhere! Hmmm… ‘The Travelling Real Estate Investor’! Sounds like potential for a documentary/reality show on channel 10 [:0)]! Anyone ever heard of ‘The Travelling Businessman’? Never lives in the one place long enough to pay taxes [8D]

“If you can count your money, you don’t have a billion dollars”
    J. Paul Getty

Profile photo of JohnBoy2JohnBoy2
    @johnboy2

Leigh,

I wouldn’t joke about the “Travelling Real Estate Investor”. I think that is a great idea, to potentially make you even more money. Let’s face it everything these days is Property THIS Investing THAT.

Make sure you take lots of Video footage. And plenty of notes. Come back and put it all together.

Good Luck,

JohnBoy

P.S. You may even run into me along the way, as I will be buying everything insight…hehe

Profile photo of tamaratamara
    @tamara

Hi

I thought that those who are planning on investing in nz might be interested in this article titled 2021, the Future. It can be found at this link

http://homeandgarden.nzoom.com/homeandgarden

Sorry i dont know how to post a link so you will have to do a little searching.

Tamara

Profile photo of BDMBDM
    Participant
    @bdm

G’day everyone,

I followed Tamara’s link and found the article she was talking about….

http://homeandgarden.nzoom.com/homeandgarden_detail/0,2628,171934-200-370,00.html

Thanks for the tip, Tamara :-)

Basically, the article can be summerized by one of the last sentences in its second last paragraph :

“Become familiar with Auckland housing cycle as it precedes the other regions.”

Have a good one,

BDM

@leigh

Hey johnboy,

Will keep it in mind. I had actually thought of doing it for real, not on the NZ thing but on a different strategy. I’ve got a couple of friends into the reality TV show stuff (they received a grant from Channel 10 for a reality show based around a night out at a pub!) so it wouldn’t be too hard to put it together. Maybe I could feature an interview with you on my travels – the tough competition [;)].

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

Leigh,

I work at Channel 9 as a journalist/producer… have been in the media for 10 years… I’ve been tossing around some ideas for some sort of reality show based on real estate investing… if you’re fair dinkum, feel free to ask some questions on production processes… anyway, whack [email protected] into your address book for future reference… it might come in handy, you never now.

cheers
    r

Profile photo of mothermother
    @mother

Dear Everyone Who is Thinking of Going To NZ,

I hope you all love it over there, just remember to pack your winter woolies, my dad just got back from Christchurch a week ago and said he talked to his mum when he got home (she lives in Christchurch) and they had 3 inches of SNOW! Very Impressive for that to build up that low down! We lived there for 3 years when I was a child and I only saw snow fall in Christchurch, no build up.

If you would like a nice Scenic place to visit, go to Akoroa, Just north? of Christchurch on the coast. Very quaint, my parents owened the Backpackers there in 1983-5.

Shame you can’t post photos on the Forum!

Hope you all like it over there.

Regards Lee-Ann

@leigh

Hi Richmond,

Isn’t it amazing the opportunities that can present themselves [:)].

I’m very interested in catching up for a chat over a cup of coffee sometime. You never know what may come out of it.

Are you heading to Steve’s seminar on the 26th? I believe you’re Melbourne based anyway?

Cheers, Leigh

@leigh

Hi mother,

The colder the better! Bring on the snow [:D]!

I think your idea is great regarding the photo’s, maybe we could organise an external page linked to the forum where we can all post our pics. Divide it into a couple of categories and Bob’s you uncle!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Investing in New Zealand’ is closed to new replies.