All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Monopoly……is the game right.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

Hi all,
    I was playing a game of monopoly today (long time since the last game….more fun with real houses !!) and realised that the game is wrong in so many ways. You have to pit yourself against each other and try to rise above the pack and own everything. Forums like this one remind me that it is not about beating each other in the game …rather it is about helping each other to beat the game. There is no end point in the game until everybody else is gone. You can’t start out saying I will just aim to have $100K cashflow and I’m out.
    While it was fun (and I won) it still saddened me a little and I started to realise why people have that competitive streak when they “play property”.

Just remember if we work together we can all beat the game…..Keep up the awesome posts…..

Enjoy
    AD [:0)]
    (Andrew)

“”Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”
    Albert Einstein

Profile photo of williwilli
    Participant
    @willi

Hey Ad,

You are spot on with the Monopoly theory…

…just a side note when I was in the States (over our summer) I came across a book titled
    “Everything i know about business i learned from MONOPOLY”

Its actually interesting read and view. It compares saving vs investing, the role of luck in business and the game, balancing resources etc. Gives a number of tips on winning Monopoly and how the game rules relate to “real life”

Also i came across TRUMP – the game. Property Tycoon Donald Trumps game – he has to have his name everywhere (i love it)…

Its similar to Monopoly, however theres a lot more deal making and bidding. I haven’t had a chance to play a full game but looks like a bit of fun…

Pete

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi all,

Well the posts get better and better [:D]. I too used to play MONOPOLY and used to win. It’s been about 15 years since I last played, as I find the game is only enjoyable when you are playing with a certain type of person.
    When I refused to break up my street (i.e. Fleet St) or set, I was told how selfish I was [:(], as I explained to those I played with, it was a game and that if I went about being charitable and breaking up my streets to make them happy, how was I supposed to build houses, then hotels and charge a higher rent?
    I would try being charitable and in the end I would sit there having to mortage my cards, in order to pay their rent…[B)]
    It really is a game of luck and the occassional good decision making.
    I’m sure everyone knows about the Survivor series, it always amazes me how people make friendships and they know that it’s a game based on deception and manipulation [}:)]. Yet they talk about these friendships as if they’ve bonded and would rather give up the game than loose the friendship. Those who play to win are ostrasized and made to feel like monsters.
    Real Life is much better, at least you can keep your business private and just worry about your own conscience and whether you can sleep at night.

Cheer
    Sooshie [:)]

There are no problems, only solutions

Profile photo of NessieNessie
    @nessie

I totally agree. I haven’t played Monopoly for nearly 20 years. I play Robert K’s Cashflow game. It is great fun. The enjoyment of how quickly one can get out of the rat race gives such a boost to achieve this in reality.

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

I had a good chuckle over this post.

Perhaps I’ll share a bit of personal info here.

The second to last time I played Monopoly was back in final year Uni. It was a three way battle between me and two other students at my (parent’s) house.

I was blitzing to the extent that the other two guys were about to be blown out of the water. Then they began to collude and ‘swap’ property for no cost to set up control over the board. [B)]

In disgust at the anti-competitive spirit, I got up and walk out, leaving them feeling awkward in my parent’s house. If only Allan Fells was around…

The last time I played was with Julie, my wife. We played a game of ‘strip monopoly’ and let’s just say that I had, er, the last laugh. [;)]

I like the game, but I love investing rules that challenge rather than playing by the book.

Bye,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

@sooshie

Hi all,

Steve, they say women mature faster than men. I can’t believe YOU spat the dummy and walked out [:0)] YOu must have been at least 20!!!
    They played clever, not unethical. I wonder where they are now (your ‘monopoly friends’)?
    Strip Monopoly [?] One house UP, One shirt OFF [?]
    [:D] Ahhh… The games we play!!!
    I like PAY DAY. I played against my parents and Mike, they went for Uni first (I assume being post war, they never had the opportunity to really go, so they improvised) and I opted for hard work. Who do you think won the game?

Cheers

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

Hey Steve,
    I know what you mean about the walk away thing[:(!]. Been there done that. It’s amazing how it can seem like life or death at the time and upon reflection a little less serious[:P]. Kinda like buying houses. If you miss “that” property what a worry….and yet like buses another good one will be along in a little while.

If you have problems with monopoly do not play Risk….that is a whole new level of frustation in game play.[}:)] Not to mention relationship testing.

Enjoy
    AD [:0)]
    (Andrew)

“”Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”
    Albert Einstein

Profile photo of MathewMathew
    Participant
    @matymathew

This actually is quite a good topic. Most of us have played monopoly at some stage, but it would be interesting to know what other business or investing games people have played.

I have played cashflow 101 a few times and liked it but thats about it. Sooshie what is the game pay day that you mentioned? How does it work and is it good to play?

Has anyone played any other games that would be worth discussing?

Cheers,

Mathew.

@sooshie

Hi Mathew,

PAY DAY is a board game with a pleasant vista, option of children (actually they can be forced on you [}:)]), university etc. Basically all the milestones of life from school onwards are points in the game, whereby you have a choice to go two different paths, starting off either by going to UNI or doing hard work. You spin this wheel and count the respective numbers on the board. Then you do what says on the spot you land on. If you pick up a card, you might get a bonus cash injection or you might get told your wife is having another child and fork out $150 for OB check up. The person with the biggest cash stack wins. You get to get married, get a car, have kids, pay insurance, get a house…
    It’s really a lovely game and unlike Monopoly, nobody really comes out a looser because you all have fun. I’m yet to see a shoe fly whilst playing Pay Day [B)].
    I must confess, I’ve had a shoe or two thrown at me when I put up hotels on Fleet St, Pall Mall,etc… My sister has a bad temper [}:)] Everyone thought I was very greedy and no amount of protestations from me (It’s a game! I would say) would deter them from their cry that I was “greedy and selfish”. I think in the middle of one game they left (I had a lot of property)and I just counted the money I had and screamed out “I win” [}:)] (I was only about 15 years old [:I])
    By the way, a really fabulous movie which I’ve watched and laughed till I was horse in the throat was RAT RACE with Mr Bean, Whoopi G, John Clease, Seth Green, etcetc.. I recommend it highly. It’s hilarious. [:0)][:0)][:0)].
    Cheers

Profile photo of MathewMathew
    Participant
    @matymathew

Hi Sooshie,

That does sound like an interesting game, i might see if I can find it somewhere.

Mathew.

Profile photo of williwilli
    Participant
    @willi

PAYDAY rocks….that simple.

I actualy started playing that before I ever played Monopoly…I had the kids verision and really enjoyed playing it with my parents when I was young. Good education base…

Pete

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Monopoly……is the game right.’ is closed to new replies.