All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Buliding Cost

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of 111111111111
    Participant
    @111111

Anyone interested in building cost.

Here is the interesting article

http://www.domain.com.au/Editorial/Article.aspx?a=articles/2003/05/12/1052591715805.html

The average 3 br house which is 150 sqm will cost you $2500 * 150 = $375,000 to build.

Does it sound right ?

Profile photo of andrewkimber2andrewkimber2
    Participant
    @andrewkimber2

The figures quoted in the article are indicative of the huge rise in building costs in recent times. Whilst I dont agree with the figures, the principal of whats happening is completely true.
    I’m in the process of getting quotes to build a 4 br house and its amazing the different prices being thrown around.

I’m finding that if you go to the builders direct, they quote huge prices simply because they dont want the work. They’re booked out 12 months in advance, and if they snag an unknowing buyer at $80,000 or so above realistic prices then they’ll be laughing all the way to the bank (and very obliging to your needs by the way!![;)])
    If you go to marketing companies like Executive Homes, Glenbrae etc, the prices are more realistic.

So what I’m basically saying here is, yes what they’re saying in the article is true BUT look around and find companies which represent builders. Not only will the prices be fairer, but you’re protected by contracts which prevent unjustified price rises.

Hope this sheds some light on the subject.

Oh and by the way, where I live (Albury) allowing $8,500-9,000 per square (not square metre) is reasonable.

Profile photo of NessieNessie
    @nessie

Hey guys, your figures are cheap. Take a hold of your chairs before you read on. I got a quote from a builder (who was recommended) to erect 3 townhouses in the Melbourne Bayside area – $14,500 per square and all electrical appliances, bathroom fittings and landscaping were not included.

Cheers
    Nessie

Participant
    @andrewkimber2

Hi Nessie,

I may be a little out of the loop – being in Albury – but I’d be pretty confident in saying that that price is damn high. Mind you, there are a lot of variables when looking at quotes – ie excavation required, additional structural needs etc etc.

Still, I’d be doing more shopping around if I were you.

Good luck!

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi all,

My Bro-in-law is building his house on his land (existing house has been demolished) in suburb of Elsternwick. The builders are in so much demand that people are happy to pay their fees even if it is really pricy. I nearly had an apoplectic fit when I heard the price (close to Nessie’s mentioned price)charged. I reckon it would have been cheaper for him to move house!

Cheers

Sooshie [:)]

There are no problems, only solutions

Participant
    @andrewkimber2

Hi Sooshie,

Does your brother-in-law wish he never demolish the old house?? A block of land recently sold in my street after the oringal owners bought the property to build a new house on. They demolished the old house, then got quotes to build, soon realised they couldnt afford it, and the block lay untouched for years!

Have a great day.

Andrew.

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

I can recommend an excellent builder who handled a huge renovation for us not long ago.

His fees are reasonable (well they were for us anyway). Nessie – I’d certainly get him to quote.

Contact me if you want his details ([email protected]). He works in the wider Melb. metro area.

Bye,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Buliding Cost’ is closed to new replies.