All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Anyone noticed building costs are now out of hand?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of andrewkimber2andrewkimber2
    Participant
    @andrewkimber2

Hi All,

I’m in the process of pricing a 19sq home plus double garage at the moment and am appalled at the prices I’m being quoted.

I live in Albury (NSW). It seems the builders get paid more that Bill Gates here. I was quoted $140,000 last year for the home I’m looking to build and this week have been quoted $180,000 plus. Whats worse is I’ve had quotes up around $250,000 for the same home. And bye the way, I’m building a basic house here!!!!

I’ve looked at pricing in Melbourne and for a better house, I’d be looking around $120,000.

What am I doing wrong here? Has anyone had the same experience when getting quotes? And more importantly, does anyone know of a builder that can help me and not rip me off.

I rang a builder in Melbourne this morning and offered him a $30,000 bonus if he’d come to Albury to build my house. Unfortunately he declined. [:(]

I’m venting my frustrations here, but seriously, can anyone help me?????

Thanks,

Andrew

Profile photo of andrewkimber2andrewkimber2
    Participant
    @andrewkimber2

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your response.

In answer to your questions:

“It’s in Albury? Level site? Good access? Size of block? Does the garage have to be attached to the house?”

Yes the block is in Albury. The land is very flat with great access and the block size is around the 750m2 (can’t remember exactly – havent got the plan in front of me). The land is in a new estate.

I would like the garage attached, and appears the most economic way of doing it anyway. When dealing with suburban blocks, there’s little room to have the garage detached from the main house.

Unfortunately I dont have the house plan in electronic format so I can’t get it to you, however it has been designed specifically to keep the costs down – nothing elaborate, just contemporary and open plan. My partner has built 3 houses in the past 8 years, so has been great with tips on how to keep the costs down.

Doesnt seem that the builders are prepared to listen the “keeping the costs down” request! [:(!]

Your assistance/suggestions would be most appreciated. [:)]

Regards,

Andrew.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Anyone noticed building costs are now out of hand?’ is closed to new replies.