Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of fulloutfullout
    @fullout

When making an offer to purchase, the buyer usually states eg. “10% deposit”. Is this the deposit paid when the offer is made by the buyer to the seller to make it look like a “genuine offer”, or is it the deposit paid as the remainder of the purchase (purchase price – 90% homeloan)?

Confused….

Profile photo of 3degrees3degrees
    Participant
    @3degrees

quote:

When making an offer to purchase, the buyer usually states eg. “10% deposit”. Is this the deposit paid when the offer is made by the buyer to the seller to make it look like a “genuine offer”, or is it the deposit paid as the remainder of the purchase (purchase price – 90% homeloan)?

Confused….

The deposit is paid when the offer to purchase is made. The amount of deposit is very variable from nothing up to 10%. The negotiation for the deposit is more a lock in for the Real Estate agent and the buyer.

Profile photo of wilsonkaywilsonkay
    @wilsonkay

Quickly – in summary, yes it would make it look like a genuine offer and this is part of the reason.
    The deposit will consist of part of the purchase price, you are correct in that assumption. Also be careful, as some RE agents will try and push you in to paying a higher deposit, mostly this is because they want thier money sooner. But maybe I am a sceptic! :-)
    Also – 10% is standard, but you really determine the deposit you pay. Depend how you want to work it.

Regards,

Tim Wilson.

Profile photo of fulloutfullout
    @fullout

i bought the property for 83,000. I paid a $500 deposit when i made an offer. Now i am getting a loan of 74700 (90% of 83000).
    So does that mean at settlement i wil pay the seller 8300 – deposit of 500 = $7800???
    [:)]

Profile photo of DavidUDavidU
    @davidu

Yes Fullout

That’s correct

David U

Profile photo of fulloutfullout
    @fullout

Thanks guyS!
    u guys are great~![8)]

Profile photo of Tamara2Tamara2
    @tamara2

Fullout,

In our experience, a deposit means nothing until contracts are exchanged. We usually offer 5% on exchange and try to exchange with 48 hours of the offer being accepted.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Deposit’ is closed to new replies.