All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Where to invest

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of bruceleebrucelee
    Participant
    @brucelee

Hi, I’m young and looking to invest in some property.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum knows a good area to invest in which will increase in value the reasonably quickly, also what factors will increase the properties value.

Another question. House or Unit?

Bruce

Profile photo of walkernickwalkernick
    Participant
    @walkernick

Hi Bruce,

What state are you in? I am a university student in Sydney currently purchasing my first property. I have found that I can only afford to look outside of Sydney and as such am buying near Newcastle. I suggest you buy the Australian Property Investor magazine to compare the growth rates and median prices of various areas, and start taking trips to go look at pleanty of properties there. The only way you really know whether prices will go up in the future is to go study the market yourself. But a few things that will bolster future growth include:

-close to the coast
    -close to current or pending transport links
    -close to large or expanding industrial or commercial areas
    -close to tourism hot-spots such as wineries
    -close to popular retirement destinations
    -in an area where council is undertaking a town beautifical or ‘renewal’ process
    -in an area with above average population growth (check the ABS catalogue 3218.0 for these statistics)

If you would like to have a chat about anything shoot me an email at [email protected]

Cheers
    -Nick Walker

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

There are two focuses you can have in property.

1. On the Property

This means you focus on the property, usually seeking capital gains returns. As such, position becomes very important.

Things that will increase the value are variables that add to perceived or actual value which cause demand > supply.

In the house vs. unit debate – everything being equal I’d buy a house because land appreciates while buildings depreciate.

2. On the Person

You are not so worried about the location of the property as you are the yield and the quality of your tenant or wrap/lease-option client.

It’s not just a matter of where to invest… you also need to clarify what you’re investing in too.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of bruceleebrucelee
    Participant
    @brucelee

Thanks for the help guys.

I have another question:

Residential or commercial?

My uncle stays away from residental and only invests in commercial.

What do you guys think?

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

I think you have an awesome resource there in your uncle. I (my opinion) think that residential is a better place to start because it is much more forgiving than commercial property. BUT…in saying that you may be able to leverage off your uncles knowledge. Why not ask him to help you out with looking for properties and get inside his head ? Which ever way you go this will be invaluable information. You can either stumble throughthe learning process or stand on the shoulders of others. I am a firm believer in shoulder standing and I am willing to pay for it. I am amazed at how much I have learnt in the last year and a lot of that was due to the help and knowledge of others.

On a slightly different note Bruce what is your aim of Property investing ? This can also help you decide which way to go. In the end it will be your decision as to the right path for you.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy
    AD [:0)]
    (Andrew)

“”Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”
    Albert Einstein

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Where to invest’ is closed to new replies.