All Topics / The Treasure Chest / How to find honest Real Estate Agents?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of vluu27vluu27
    @vluu27

Hi All,

I was wondering if there are any strategies or ways you can suss out whether the RE is being honest or he is lying?

I know there is a book out by Neil Jenman but I like to hear other peoples stories or thoughts.

Much appreciated [:P]

Thanks

Vinh

Profile photo of MarcoMarco
    @marco

Hi Vinh,

We already knew several agents through other things, so had a fair idea of how they operated. In other areas we are now developing relationships with the”unknown quantity” <grin>.

This takes time – which is the best thing that I can offer you (& lots of coffee!). I would call this strategy “Relationship Marketing”

What sort of strategies do other people use?

Keep doing what you’re doing!

Marco

Profile photo of B.DerosB.Deros
    Participant
    @b.deros

I talked to a whole bunch in the area whilst I was shopping around buying and formed my impressions that way.
    I went with the most professional agents, not the ones who went the most out of their way to impress me – that kind of attention is short-lived.
    So far I have been very happy with the decision. Especially happy considering I live interstate and have to rely on the agent for firsthand information in many situations.

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

I agree with these guys. QT… Quality Time. When I first started buying in the area I do 98% of my deals in I talked to nearly every agent in town to find who I would gel with. I found the one person who I happily do business with. 9 properties later and I am still happy. She calls me the instant something appears. I win because I get early info on good deals, she wins as she gets a trouble free sale and potential resale, the vendor wins because they get a purchaser who doesn’t stuff around.

I regularly drop cake into the office and buy presents around events. We are great business partners now and whenever my wife and her get together they have a great old chat.
    This took a lot of time on the road and talking to many people but I see this person as an unreal investment for me. She will get a great Christmas present this year if things continue how they went last year.

My two bobs worth.

Enjoy
    AD [:0)]
    (Andrew)

“”Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”
    Albert Einstein

Profile photo of hwd007hwd007
    @hwd007

So can you give me a name of a good agent in QLD and in SA ?

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi,

Glad to hear you’ve found yourself a gem Andrew [:)].
    Recent experience with a realator was interesting. It went something like this. Date: 24th April ’03 (remember Anzac day all is closed).
    Realtor :”Out of interest is this property for onselling”
    Moi: “Yes, it is, why do you ask?”
    Realtor: “Because we’ve had bad experiences and most of the time I don’t want to touch it, it’s not worth the hassle to us.”
    Moi: “Look, were genuinely looking to buy this property, this is why I’ve called to put your mind at ease that your vendor is going to get the money (note* the offer was put in by someone other than myself), I don’t expect you to leave a verbal offer open indefinitely, the vendors accepted our offer, so at least give me a couple of days to organize legals and finance, before you show other people through”.
    Realtor:”I’ll give you till monday 5th May, to get finance approved”
    Moi: Basically I replied something in this line, I understand you’ve got your vendor’s best interest at heart and that’s great, but ultimately he loses if by 5th May, you have to put it onto the market again, as he has to wait another week or two before getting finance approved by the new buyer. We lose too, as we have to start looking again. The standard practice is to allow 2 working weeks from the time we get the contracts and sign them. I just received them in the mail this arvo, how about giving me a chance to look them over and sign them. This way both the vendor, and both of us win. Why would you start showing around other people when your vendor’s already agreed to sell to us? Isn’t that a lot more work for you?

Okay, so it wasn’t word for word, but this was the first house we’ve bought in that area. I organized to go down to visit the house on the weekend. He was okay with this.
    When we got there, he said “I’ve only got 10 minutes to show you around”, I said “Can you leave the keys with us, or what about if I lock up for you?” (property is vacant)
    Realator: “I’ll get my **** kicked if I leave you with the keys, I can organize for you to come back on Monday (April 28th)”.
    I said “It’s a 2 hour drive, it’s cool, 10 minutes will be okay”.

We got to the property and there was newspapers from at least a week, plus junk mail, strewn all over the front garden. Great maintenance! The upside was I didn’t have to go looking for a local paper as I could pick it up from the garden.
    He let us in and I took my checklist with and I went through methodically. The realator was getting antzy, TOUGH! [}:)] He went and sat in his car. [:D]
    Anyway, I completed my list and went outside. Hmmm…where did the paper go? Would you believe I was even looking foward to reading the junk mail!!! I inspected the outside of the house, once he locked up and left. On leaving the property, I checked the letter box. Low and behold was all the mail, junk mail, newspapers, stuffed into this little box [:O]

Anyway, His attitude was lapsidasical. Now, I can understand that he’s probably been burnt before by people putting in verbal offers, being accepted and then renegging, but hey, that’s life! That’s why I rang, to ensure he realised we weren’t just having him on.
    He’s been putting the pressure on me (this week) and I just said to him ‘I’m making the contract subject to financial approval by the 14th May” He ooed and aahed, but I said, “Your choice, put the house back on the market if you want, but your vendor may have to wait for the contracts to be sent out and then the new buyers to get financial approval aswell’. Mind you the building inspection was already done.

I recount this for your entertainment if nothing else. Oh, and if you were wondering, the checklist coincided with the building report almost identically. [:0)]

Soosh’s Thought Of The Day
    A fisherman who’s caught his catch and eaten his fill, isn’t likely to be interested in his goldfish!

The area we buying into has had such a glut of investors in the last 2 years, that the real estate agents are belching from the commissions. What’s the big deal in buying one house?

Cheers

Sooshie [:D]

There are no problems, only solutions

Profile photo of MarcoMarco
    @marco

hwd007,

It’s best that you find your own, build the relationship etc. However – one of the agents I have found to be very honest is Ray White, Brighton (SA). All the people at this office are good, however Leigh Lockwood is the person I deal with the most. His mobile number is 0414-880-887.

Keep on doing what you’re doing!

Marco

Profile photo of aj_2aj_2
    Participant
    @aj_2

interestimg topic should you go with people you know from club ect or is that a conflict
    aaron

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

Aaron,
    People from a club or wherever should make no difference. It is about networking with people who can make deals happen and have them available for you. If you have friends on the “inside” that could work to your advantage. Check out all possibilities but always remember business and pleasure don’t mix well…….

Enjoy
    AD [:0)]
    (Andrew)

“Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.”

Profile photo of Brett2Brett2
    Participant
    @brett2

Hope i am not insulting anyone but i am from adel and have had a bit to do with the jenman system neils creation. I believe that he is the biggest crook of them all. I have had a lot better responses from some smaller agents they tend to want to work with the buyers more. if you want to sell go through the bigger agents because they are better negotiators.
    Brett

Profile photo of MelanieMelanie
    @melanie

Brett I saw from your other post that you too are an agent so was interested to see this response. As a broker I come in contact with lots of agents and am yet to find one who thinks much of Jenman at all.

I too struggle with the logic of addmiring anyone who’s path to success is through loudly & rudely disgracing and bad mouthing all & sundry in his own industry…??! Does he teach people what to look out for or just make people paranoid and aggressive with agents who’s role is simply trying to find the best outcome between totally conflicting objectives ie sale price: vendor vs buyer? Am I just a bit old-fashioned/naive – I really think a little bit of respect and manners goes a long way, and would stop half the problems and nonsense about aggressive win-lose attitudes in the first place.

I think 90% of agents are honest & hard-working and waiting for our calls …!

[:D]
    The Optimist Mel

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi there,

A Real Estate Agent is just like any other salesman. Remember they want to make a living too.
    I’m not sure about how you go about shopping, but I’ll look through the junk mail, compare the prices of the competition and sees which is better value for money.
    When people buy a car, they do all the due diligence, eg. roadworthy test, safety checks, check the ducco for previous accidents, check the tyres for roadworthiness, start the car, take it for a test drive, perhaps even look into the CHOICE magazine (like I do) to see what the ‘experts’ have to say about the model.
    http://www.choice.com.au
    Similarily, If you do your research and you know the going prices of the area you’re looking into, you will soon suss out who’s the real deal. Make up a list of questions to ask the RE, perhaps throw in a trick question. Ask them about local unemployement, strength of rental market, proposed works for the area. Also look for ‘tells’ in body language (nose scratch, ear rub, fidgity fingers, opening and closing of suit jacket…should I continue [;)][:D])
    I’m sure everyone has gone shopping before, so how do you trust any salesman if you want to get the best product for the lowest price?

My thoughts
    Night Night
    Sooshie [:)]

“small steps make the journey” (SAS)

Profile photo of Most excellentMost excellent
    @most-excellent

Be one yourself [:D]

All the wonders you seek are within yourself. (Sir Thomas Brown)

Michael
    just be

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi Vluu,

Have you tried ‘Buyers Agents’?

These guys work to get the most value for the buyer rather than for the seller as RE Agents do.

Cheers,
    Shell.

Profile photo of vluu27vluu27
    @vluu27

Thanks for all your comments. Much appreciated. Learned Alot

vluu

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

If you are a buyer then I guess you take wchich ever agent comes with the house [:)]

Heres some ideas if you are a seller. I would go with personal recommendations. Alternatively I would seek out the most high profile well regarded agency in town – poss the one that seems to list all the most expensive homes.

These agencies only employ experienced agents that they often headhunt from elsewhere. They go to great lengths to protect their reputation.

People selling in this price range tend to have been around a while and are often somewhat financially astute. They are probably a good indicator of quality service. The fees may be higher but you usually get what you pay for don’t you think?

If you are still looking for someone in Brisbane drop me an email and I will put you onto a couple of agents who I believe are honest and ethical.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Hunter
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Profile photo of CastleDreamerCastleDreamer
    Participant
    @castledreamer

the last house I helped a friend buy was an open listing – I didn’t gel with the agents listing the house, so I went to an agent i get along with and had her negotiate with the vendor – alternatively I could have gone direct to the vendor myself and negotiated, but my friend had a tricky contract offer, and I didn’t trust myself to negotiate it right – either way, we simply circumvented the listing agents and did business direct. In QLD at any rate, an open listing seems to be fair game – its up to the vendor to sort out commission issues anyway.

If you really don’t like the agent in a deal, go direct to the vendor, and let the agent and vendor sort it out between themselves later – only problem is the agent can get nose out of joint and not ever help you again!!
    LR

Profile photo of PandorraPandorra
    @pandorra

Recommend reading “Confessions of a Real Estate Agent” if ou want more information about how real estate salespeople think and work.

I’m in the industry[:I],but not a saleperson[:)]

I dont think Neil Jenman’s system is any good, as it is partcuarily hypocritical, (he says that agents should sell properties and not rent them, but alot of his bigger offices have rental rolls)

He tends to prey on the ‘poor me’ people, and tends to hold regular seminars in these areas.

People are screened on entry and agents from other offices are not allowed to enter (probably because they would ask questions-and he does’nt want that now does he??)

You gotta remember that Jenman is a salesperson too, agents have to pay to be ‘Jenman Approved’, and as an agent you gotta get something for your money, which is why he has published a book and tends to be in the media alot.

Why he calls himself a ‘real estate advocate’ I’m yet to find out. His background is relatively guarded too.

Hopes this helps.[;)]

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How to find honest Real Estate Agents?’ is closed to new replies.