All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Newie- question: sell IP to pay down house?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of dkrsevandkrsevan
    Participant
    @dkrsevan

Hi,

I am new to this forum but have been reading previous posts for some time.

I have a question which I would like to run by all you experience property investor. I currently own my principal place or residence ( not outright- have mortgage). Own IP with gearing of around 50% and vacant land on sydney southcoast which I intend to keep long-term as a holiday house/IP.

My dilemma is that I would like to sell IP1 to pay down some of the debt on my residence but I do not like the idea of paying CGT. I would just like some opinions on this matter.

Thanks

DK

Profile photo of quasimodoquasimodo
    @quasimodo

What’s the LVR (how much you owe versus how much you own) on your IP? If you’ve paid off quite a bit, you may be able to refinance your IP to the banks maximum allowable LVR and use that (tax free) money to pay off part of your home loan mortgage. Just make sure you check out the fees to do this (ie refinancing fees, early repayments) as the banks make just as much from these as they do from interest!

Just out of interest why do you want to pay down your house first (where interest payments aren’t tax deductible) instead of your IP (where they are)?

Quasimodo [^]

Profile photo of truebluetrueblue
    @trueblue

I’ll sell the vacant land and pay off my principal residence. It is precisely because interests are not tax deductible that you pay off your house first. Hope this helps.

Profile photo of dkrsevandkrsevan
    Participant
    @dkrsevan

Hi Guys,

Thanks for replying.
    Just for further background, I work in the finance industry and understand investment principles quite well. The main dilemma I have is that my wife is attached to IP1 as it was her first investment property and then also we grit our teeth at the fact that we would pay alot of CGT.

The LVR on IP1 is about 0.38, on our house its 0.5 and vacant land its 0.57.

btw do you guys know that interest on vacant land is tax deductible if your intention is to build a rental property on it?

Back to my prob, if I sell the IP1 , we would reduce the LVR on our house to 0.3 and in doing so reduce our non-deductible debt.Our intention is to keep buying IPs (renovate +sell etc)

Given this info, what do you guy reckon

thanks

Profile photo of truebluetrueblue
    @trueblue

Interests on vacant land are generally not tax deductible. However, suggest you talk to your accountant. In particular, reference is made to Steele v FCT97 ATC 4239.

Participant
    @dkrsevan

Hi,

In relation to vacant land, it is possible.
    Spoke to my accountant (wife) and the ATO. However, there are conditions.

Anyway, the main reason for my post was to discuss the arguments for and against selling an IP to pay down debt on PPOR.

Any views/help would be greatly appreciated

Profile photo of mcwongmcwong
    @mcwong

Hi

I am newbie as well but my opinion is that, having
    to choose between paying ATO and the bank, I will
    choose the latter, ie refinance the IP1 to get
    access to its equity, provided it has some!

CGT could be as high as 48.5% (but one-off) vs
    bank interest rate <10% though ongoingly. If you
    have other IPs that are already +CF, that may well
    cover off any short fall from the IP1 that is
    refinanced for purpose of getting access to its
    equity.

I have interesting discussion on topic of this
    nature with various parties and the concensus
    seems to be that u need about 5 +CF IP to help
    you refinace another IP to access its equity as
    “free money” that can be used for lifestyle. I
    have no idea of where the number 5 comes from, it
    may well be just a reflection of individual’s
    situation I spoke to. But the more +CF IP one have
    the better off one can be that’s for sure!

Participant
    @dkrsevan

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. However. one thing is troubling me. I have already had 2 people say that I should refinance the investment property and access the equity that way to pay some of my PPOR off. This, in my opinion is a worse position as I would have to pay fees to refinance and the funding that I would get access to is NOT tax-deductible. So, if for example I owe $200K on IP1 which is worth $350K. Then say the bank lends me $80K more. I use this $80K to put on my PPOR mortgage. This extra drawing from the IP refinance is definitely not deductible. Therefor, I cant see how this will help me.

any differing views?

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

Hey DK,

I was having a read of your post and what struck me was that you seem to have a plan. One thing I personally have learnt over the last year is to form your own plan and go for it. Another point to consider is that selling now may attract CGT but then you can realise the gain and put $xx thousand dollars in your bank you did not have yesterday.

I personally use renovating to continue to reduce my debt of my own house and my IP’s. I believe if you go down the path of renovating there will be properties that you just have to hang onto for various reasons. This will allow you to build a good portfolio of properties that are paid for by your renos.

A question for you. Where do you think we are on the investment cycle with property prices ? Obviously this makes a huge difference as to the best time to sell. IF property is near the peak then the holding costs or opportunity cost of not selling may be a good reason to sell.
    I have decided to look at all my properties every year and if they do not seem to have 15-20% growth over the next year then I will consider selling. Obviously this is just one benchmark I will use but it is a start. I will keep most but those that have been under achieving may very well be on the chopping block.
    I am a bit ruthless with my property as I consider them all trading stock. If they do not meet expectation then they are gone. I also actively buy property to renovate and resell to giver the business a great cashflow that can be used in the future to borrow more money.

In conclusion DK, follow your heart. I started off believing that the only way to go was wrap. Then buy and hold wouldn’t be bad either. Then renovaing is another fun way to do things….. Before I knew it I had a few great options
    to work in property. The more options you have the more able you are to make a go of this property thing.

Probably the biggest thing I have learnt over the last 3 months is opportunity cost. If trading stock suits your approach then go for it.

Treat your property like a business. When in business you do what makes you money. You do not want to buy yourself a job though you still need to have assets that give you passive income for the future. Striking the right balance is up to you.

As I first said though follow your heart and do what you love as that will reward you the most (financially and emotionally). Do what brings you the closest to achieving your goals…..ONLY what brings you closer.

Just some meandering thoughts……

Enjoy
    AD [:0)]
    (Andrew)

“”Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”
    Albert Einstein

Participant
    @dkrsevan

Hi AD,

I appreciate your post, it has given me further encouragement.

I still haven’t decided whether to sell the IP or not. I dont know if you are familiar with the area, but it is in glenmore park ( near penrith).
    It has experienced significant growth in the last few years ( about 16% last year) but I am concernced that becasuse it is quite a small residence with small block that it has peaked and will only ever be attracted to the first home buyers/investors etc. That is, I dont see great capital gains over the next few years.

Can I ask you another question: My earlier remarks regarding comments received about refinancing the IP to pay-off my PPOR. Am I missing something? Is the extra funding deductible in some way if it is used to pay of PPOR ( without using a split loan) ???

Thanks

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

Hey DK,
    To the best of my non-accountant knowledge….If funds are withdrawn from a refinance and not used for investment purposesd then they are not deductible.

I was in a similar situation recently where one of my houses is up for rental renewal and it needs a minor reno. I would not get much more rent after the reno but I wuold get a great Capital Gain. I paid $64500 for it a year ago and the resale would sell around $110-120000 (after reno). To me I think that this property would grow no more than $5-10K this year and I know that I could make at least 20% in another deal this year so for me I will sell and take the opportunity to invest elsewhere.

Do what your gut tells you to do. Look at your goals again and do what takes you closer. Sometimes one step back leads to two (or more) steps forward.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy
    AD [:0)]
    (Andrew)

“”Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”
    Albert Einstein

Profile photo of Tamara2Tamara2
    @tamara2

dk,
    We recently sold one of our investment properties. Yes, we paid cgt but this property paid off our holiday house and the balance went into our home loan. Now we don’t have to find extra funds each month for these two properties. We can enjoy our holiday house and not worry about paying it off any more. Aren’t ips suppose to bring you one step closer to retirement? That’s the way we see it. Hope this helps.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

There may be a way to make the non-deductible dedcutible.

Steve Navra has suggested that if you were to use his ‘cashbond’ strategy it could help. This is what i remember:
    -Get a cash bond (annuity) securing it on the investment property
    – do this for the purpose of increasing your borrowing capacity (with a tax ruling to this effect)
    -Place all of the income from your annutiy into a 100% offset account against your homeloan.

It doesn’t happen all at once, but the balance of your home loan decreases very quickly, you get to claim a deduction for the extra interest on your investment property to pay for the annuity and your borrowing capacity increases etc And you get to keep your property and get access to any future capail gains.

Regards

Terryw
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of kenlekenle
    @kenle

please tell me more about this method terryw.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Ken

I think you’ll find more info at http://www.navra.com.au. There is an article somewhere there called ‘cashbonds’.

Terryw
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @dkrsevan

Hi,

The ‘cashbond’ strategy sounds interesting, however this is just relies on the principle that depositing funds into an offset account will reduce interest paid isnt it?
    I still am undecided about whether to sell the IP or not. My latest thinking is to keep as long as possible and possible sell to a Trust with my wife as beneficiary ( she currently owns it) so we don’t pay stamp duty. If we sell to the trust at our cost base we can at least strip a decent amount of money out and still retain the property

any thoughts on the trust strategy?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Newie- question: sell IP to pay down house?’ is closed to new replies.