All Topics / The Treasure Chest / What can I expect to learn at THE SEMINAR ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of NICKSNICKS
    @nicks

Hi Guys,

Pl. treat this as a newbie post.[:)]

I have signed up for Steve’s Seminar next month, and I am eagerly awaiting to attend it. I dont have any IP (nor my own home), but I am planning to acquire one. I have only read Jan Somers book (More wealth thru investment property). So coming from a background like mine (absolute newbie) [:)] I am not in a position to ask intelligent questions (if any) during the seminar. I will mostly be absorbing all the information that I gain, and then act on it.

Hence The question is : What can I expect to learn at the seminar ? and What can I do as pre-requisite (read any books etc.) ? in order to be able to gain the most out of the seminar.

rgds

Nick

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

Hey Nicks,
    The most important thing to come with is an open mind. Get plenty of sleep leading up to the event as it will fill your mind up with possibilities. Keep on researching Real estate before the event and reading what you can as that will all build your knowledge base. If you have a good framework of understanding the many facets of Real estate then The event will continue to build that structure. Often it is a chance to clear up misconceptions and open your mind to new ideas.
    As to what to read I know there are a few postings in the psat a bout good books. Do a search and see what you find (look up book maybe ??) If you haven’t already get out there and start walking the streets and talking to agents. Find out more about how this works and find out more about where you want to invest. The seminar may provide you with some new angles on doing business in your chosen market.
    Hope this helps.

Enjoy
    AD [:0)]
    (Andrew)

“”Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”
    Albert Einstein

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

There is some pre-reading to complete which Brent should have notified you of.

If you haven’t received it then please contact him at: [email protected]

Beyond that… I think what AD has said about having an open mind is all that’s required. The notes provided are quite detailed.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi Nick,

It will be my first time at the seminar, my husband’s second time and we have still plenty to learn (hence my husband’s 2nd time [;)]).
    We are just beginners aswell and in fact, you are probably a lot better off, because you don’t have too much of other’s advice from books etc, having been given to you yet, so you vertually have a ‘clean slate’ with which to work with. Lucky you, no conflicting advice yet! [:D]

Look foward to seeing at the seminar

Cheers

Sooshie [:)]

There are no problems, only solutions

Profile photo of NICKSNICKS
    @nicks

Hi

Thanks AD & Sooshie.

Steve, Brent has been quite busy lately, I guess with the preparation of the Seminar etc. Hence he has been unable to provide me with a pre-requisite reading list. I will bug him.

rgds

Nick

Profile photo of susie_langmaid_2susie_langmaid_2
    @susie_langmaid_2

Hey Nicks,
    Go to http://www.financialsuccesssystems.com and click on the ‘good reads’ for some great books.
    Try your local library, maybe a good basic and easy to read book to start with is “Streets Ahead” by Monique & Richard Wakelin.

Happy reading

Sue L.[:D]

Profile photo of PeterParkerPeterParker
    @peterparker

Here’s what I have in my library and my comments:

‘Streets Ahead’ has lots of good stuff in it, but bear in mind that it is biased heavily towards capital growth rather than cashflow.

For example, it compares one growth property with one cashflow property, when it would have been fairer to compare it with 2 or 3 (due to the often lower purchase price of the latter as well as the ability to pay the latter off quickly).

However it also advocates starting early. Unless you’re a medium-high income earner who already owns their PPOR and/or is willing to borrow lots and take big risks, starting early is easier said than done.

In contrast, starting with cashflow positive is heaps easier, due to their normally lower prices and thus smaller loans. It’s also better psychologically as you can pay the property off fairly quickly and even with one property can have 20-25% of your income passively derived, and are thus well on the way to financial independence without risking everything.

How to Create Income for Life (Lomas) is good and concentrates on cashflow positive property. There is only one key message not contained in other books, and that’s buy properties built after 1985 for the tax benefits. The software you can get if you buy the book is excellent, but the online cashflow positive property register wasn’t (expensive CBD apartment blocks and if the tax laws changed, you’d be stuffed)

Borrowing to Invest (Whittaker/Resnik) A good primer for beginners.

Books by Anita Bell (Your Mortgage and Your Investment Property). Many handy hints and ideas. Cheap paper means books are cheap to buy. Don’t like interest only loans.

I like the approach of saving interest and paying the property off quickly, but I think some of the very fast repayment time frames assume you’re a married couple earning $50k/year each living in your own home (ie not paying rent). If you’re single, renting and earning $30k/yr, 10 years is more realistic than three I think, at least for your first IP.

Various Robert K books – Rich Dad Poor Dad, etc. Very good at motivating, and especially in urging that you get a financial education.

Some of the specific ideas are a bit doubtful, but to be fair he does suggest that those worked for him and you should go away and think up some of your own.

I believe he is not 100% right when he says that your PPOR is a liability. Yes the cost of furnishing it is, but you’d have to do this if living in a rented house. If you own, you’re saving rent and getting an asset that will appreciate. Probably the worst thing though is that if you’re paying it off, it reduces your borrowing capacity to buy investments that pay (though you could redraw from it to get a deposit for an IP).

I would say that provided you don’t spend much on it, your PPOR is an asset, albeit in some areas a poor performing one compared to other investments you could make. In my case I did not buy my PPOR ($120pw rent, $160k value) and chose instead to get an IP ($160pw, $92k) as it more than pays the rent with a mortgage only about 50% the size.

I haven’t got any Jan Somers books, but these are also supposed to be good as well.

Peter

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
              @sooshie

Hi Everyone!

Wow, Peter! And I thought I was the only one crazy enough to buy those books [:0)] I tried the library, but the list for most of those titles, where about 6 months [:P]
              I agree with what you have to say about all those books, but I couldn’t have said it as well as you.
              I enjoyed Bell’s humour and the books were cheaper then RK’s books.
              “Street’s Ahead”, Wakelin x2 it was easy to read but now I vaguely remember it.
              I have 3 of Jan Somer’s books, read 2, but evey telemarketer calling from property investment companies advertise her books on the phone and I think she’s getting a bad wrap from it.
              The software is used and abused by negative cashflow property ‘gurus’ to show how negative gearing is wonderful for people paying too much tax. This has been my experience with her software.
              I haven’t read any of RK’s books yet, when I have time…..
              Borrowing to Invest (Whittaker/Resnik) He is very matter of fact, but I found his writing style very dry. Good bed time reading [|)]
              For newbies like me, I’d like to suggest “Personal Investing for Dummies” (nuts and bolts of what to think about). I’m not ashamed to say that because my background was more juicy stuff, I thought I wouldn’t understand anything about finances, investing etc. I’ve come a long way, but I’m not even close yet.

The journey begins now

Cheers

Sooshie [:)]

There are no problems, only solutions

Profile photo of PeterParkerPeterParker
              @peterparker

Hi Sooshie – I just happen to love reading [:)]

I find I’m often racked by indecision, lethargy and think of reasons not to do things. I am also sometimes let opportunities slip by.

But when the evidence is overwhelming that the potential benefits far outweigh the risks, I can move quite quickly. The books/software mentioned above, along with my independent analysis have helped considerably.

I’ve been investing for about 8 years, but never in direct property. I did go to one of those free seminars a couple of years ago, but was turned off by the the big loans, negative gearing and slick presentation, which was directed at people with high incomes who already owned their home (ie not me!).

Then one night last December I woke in my sleep with a thought about cheap properties in country towns/cities. I couldn’t get the thought out of my head, so I turned on the light, wrote it down, then went back to bed. The plan was for ‘low priced, high yielding property that at least held its value’.

A country town would be OK, but I’d prefer it to have a growing population. All I’d do is put up a deposit and the rental income would pay the rest.

I approached the bank and got pre-approval for finance (after looking at offerings from other institutions), to make sure that what I was thinking could actually happen.

And so the book buying frenzy began! Checking estate agent websites for prices and rent showed that there was potential for this. I made up a spreadsheet to show that the figures worked out and started looking at this and other sites.

I went on trips around Melbourne (Preston, Sunshine, Noble Park) but the prices even in those areas were not conducive to positive c/f. Also I’d only be buying at the bottom end of the market, but at the end of a R/E boom.

I looked at some country areas in country Victoria. The yields were OK, but I had concerns about population growth in some centres.

Annual leave and a trip to Adelaide in March 2003 for another purpose had me wondering about WA (where I’ve spent most of my life). I did some research on the web and found there was positive c/f property available in a large regional centre which was experiencing steady pop growth. I monitored the web listings, got a listing of recent sales and prices and talked to people. Also before I left got a city map and shortlisted streets/areas of interest. Also told agents that I was coming.

I’d squeezed in a week in WA before Adelaide specifically to look around and buy a place. I located a suitable place with tenants, put down an offer and secured a place. Spoke to council and got engineers and pest inspections.

Now waiting for settlement!

If all goes to plan, everything will have been achieved in under 6 mths. Maybe this was too hasty, but I did heaps of research, found the figures were good, am not experiencing ‘buyers remorse’ and was not discouraged by the 4 Corners show.

However I can’t understand people that will buy properties unseen. What good is being right near the city when you can’t cross the road to get there, easily back out into your street or have to walk over dingy unsafe railway overpasses? The seven days allowed was about right, and I wouldn’t recommend that anyone spend less.

Peter

Profile photo of NICKSNICKS
              @nicks

Hi Peter

Thanks for the book list. I have read the Rich / Poor about 5 times :) Each time learnt a new thing.

Also, your ideas and tips have got the thinking process going in my head :)

rgds

Nick

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What can I expect to learn at THE SEMINAR ?’ is closed to new replies.