All Topics / The Treasure Chest / The 11 Second Rule

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of wise1wise1
    @wise1

Hi all
    I am still relatively new to the forum and keep reading about the “11 Second Rule”. Can someone please explain what it is or where I can find out about it.
    I have looked on the home page and did not find it.
    Cheers
    Wise1

Profile photo of wise1wise1
    @wise1

Greetings again all
    have just found some info about the rule and so am now a little more informed.I haould have waitee about eleven seconds before posting my inquiry. However if anyone has any insights that they have not seen on the forum please respond.
    Thanks
    Wise1

Profile photo of hwd007hwd007
    @hwd007

I have seen this rule somewhere, but you have to see these rules in context of your own circumstances, as they dont always apply.

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

Hey all,
    Just a thought. I noted you were saying the 11 second Rule. It is good to remember that it is the 11 second Solution. I am being pedantic ? No for me it’s a way of understanding it’s application. One of the tools I use when looking at property is the 11 second solution. If it passes this test then it fits a certain investment criteria. Rules are hard things to me. Concrete in nature. The 11 second solution though is a great tool. Use it wisely to help you invest but never get hung up on individual tools as there are so many ways to make money in property. If it doesn’t fit the 1 second solution then maybe you could Wrap it, or Reno it or………

Enjoy
    AD [:0)]
    (Andrew)

“”Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”
    Albert Einstein

Profile photo of 3degrees3degrees
    Participant
    @3degrees

Is there no answer to the 11 second solution/rule?
    There have been 206 people looking in here for guidance….including myself. Is there a link or is it a secret?

Profile photo of Kirby319Kirby319
    @kirby319

I think people are tiring of answering this question.

Just do a search on “11 second solution” and all will be revealed. [:D]

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

When I get the time I’ll create a web page specific to the 11 Second Solution.

Quickly, it’s:

((weekly rent /2) * 1,000)

It would be wise to do a search on the topic and see what comes up as there has been a lot of discussion in the past.

Have a wonderful day,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of 3degrees3degrees
    Participant
    @3degrees

I have pinched this from another forum for other newbies like myself….
    “The 11 Second Solution is a form of due-diligence over the numbers of a property (seperate from due-diligence on the physical property itself, and the potential/current tenants).

Essentially you take the rent achievable on the property, divide it by 2 and multiply it by 1000. The asking price for the property should be less than or equal to this calculated figure. For example: a property advertised at 85,000 renting for $190 week – 11 second solution would be 190/2*1000 = $95000, so based on the figures alone would qualify for further investigation.”

Knowledge is power.

Profile photo of VincentGVincentG
    @vincentg

Interesting rule, but does/would anyone really use it?
    It means the for my IP I should be getting $450-500 per week!!!!!!

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

Hi Vincent
    It depends on how you think it should work!
    The 11 second solution is not a guide to what your existing rental property should be paying, it’s purely a quick formula you can do in your head to determine if a property has a good chance of being cash flow positive.
    Reality is that very few properties in capital cities have fitted this solution for a long time (and that’s probably where you have your rental property) because cashflow positive (mostly) has been found in regional areas. With the recent rapid growth in prices in regional areas, however, it’s not quite as simple to find cashflow positive property there either. But if you look, you’ll find it.

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Profile photo of fulloutfullout
    @fullout

Hi,
    hmm, isnt there another way to do this- the 1.6 rule
    Eg if the house is 90,000 then 90(,000) x1.6 = 144 which means the rent should be at least $144 per week for it to qualify as Positive.

Profile photo of PeterParkerPeterParker
    @peterparker

Multiplying by 1.6 may guarantee it’s positive, but only if interest rates don’t go up much. This is a yield of somewhere near 7%. Better than average but not enough for some.

To me the ’11 second’ thing is just fancy jargon for a yield a bit over 10%. With this interest rates could rise a bit and you’d still be cashflow positive. Or you could put all your rent into your loan and pay it off in nearer to 10 rather than 30 years.

Peter

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

Gotta agree with Peter here. 1.6 is thin but you have got to do what fits into your plan of investment. Do what brings you closer to your goals.

Enjoy
    AD [:0)]
    (Andrew)

“”Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”
    Albert Einstein

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘The 11 Second Rule’ is closed to new replies.