All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Book Intro… What Do You Think?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 73 total)
  • Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Here’s the first draft intro to my upcoming book. I’d love to know what you think.

>>>
    ONLY BUY THIS BOOK IF…

Not that long ago my wife, Julie, decided to advise her employer that from now on she’d only be available to work four days a week, as opposed to the usual five days.

Her boss sat there a little dumbfounded as she explained that as our investment income continued to grow, we’d become far less reliant on her salary. The result was that Julie no longer had to work five days and as such she wanted scale back her hours.

As Julie advised her friends and co-workers that she’d decided to no longer work Fridays, it dawned upon her that she was now able to enjoy a permanent long weekend for the rest of her life.

To be expected, the people she told responded with comments like “Wow – that’s my dream, you’re so lucky”, and, “Isn’t that great! I’d love to do that too and spend the time with my kids rather than leave them in day care.”

When Julie explained that it was possible for them to do it too, her friends and co-workers dismissed the idea as impossible and gave excuses like “Are you kidding, I’m too busy to invest”, “I’m not smart enough”, and “I don’t know how.”

If you’d like to work less and want to discover the way my wife and I achieved financial independence in less then three years, then [book title] is for you.

While this book outlines how you can achieve extra-ordinary wealth building results, it’s certainly not a book about how to get rich quick.

Contained in the upcoming pages is detailed, specific, challenging, honest and thought-provoking information about how to use positive cashflow property investing to build enough passive income so you can gradually work less and then, finally, no longer need to work at all.

You might be wondering that if I’m so wealthy, why bother writing this book?

Well, I’m a natural-born mentor and derive enormous personal satisfaction from helping people, just like you, improve their financial and life position, with a focus on breaking the bonds of 21st century slavery – having to work.

Over several years I’ve been able to help many people – students while lecturing at RMIT, budding chartered accountants through the Institute Of Chartered Accountants Professional Year program, and clients when I worked as an accountant.

More recently I’ve shown thousands of budding investors how buying property for capital gains isn’t necessarily the smartest option, and why negative gearing is often a money trap.

The positive gearing model (as outlined on page XX) that I’ve pioneered looks at property from a different perspective – one that values income returns above capital appreciation in order to gradually scale back your need to work without suffering a drop in your lifestyle.

Since beginning in May 1999, I, together with my business partner Dave Bradley, have used the model to acquire 130 properties at an average of a new positive cashflow dwelling every eight and a half days.

Nothing written in this book requires you to be an accountant, economist, rocket scientist or brain surgeon to understand what is written. My approach to investing is based on common sense.

It’s my sincerest wish that this book will help you to achieve your life goals. In order for this to happen you must take responsibility for taking action. It will be relatively easy to read [book title], but far more difficult when it comes time to moving out of your comfort zone and taking action.

So with all this in mind, should you buy this book?

If you believe you deserve the freedom that financial independence delivers, then yes – definitely. I’ve shown many others how to use positive cashflow property investing to build a lifetime of wealth and now, if you have a mind eager to learn, then I’d like to show you too.

Join with me now as I outline what works, and what doesn’t, in the world of real estate investing. I promise it will change the way you invest in property forever.

Sincerely,

Steve McKnight
    July 2003

<<<

Any thoughts?

Bye,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi Steve!

My response : [:D]

Cheers

Sooshie [:)]

There are no problems, only solutions

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Steve,

You’ve just made my christmas shopping much easier!!!![:D] Sounds great. When will they be available??

Seriously, it sounds to me like this book could even get “ME” [:0)]to sit down and read, all the way to the end!

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress,
    Del

Profile photo of Brett_2Brett_2
    Participant
    @brett_2

Howdy folks!

Looks great Steve and I am sure it will inspired those looking for something to kick start them on the path.

Couple of things:

Firstly, as an introduction to the book, when you ask “Should I buy this book” I would just naturally assume that if a person was reading the intro, then they had already purchased the book [:)] (though I understand completely what your approach is – for those who take a quick look inside first)

The other thing was maybe including a little bit more about your ‘credentials’. This is not for the point of bragging, but more as a ‘reassurance’ to new people that you’re quite serious about what you do and have been working hard to develop an approach that people can use. To this end, maybe also highlighting the amount of time/money you have invested in developing the approach to once again illustrate to people your committment. [:)]

Just some thoughts!

Regards,
    Brett [:)]

“Even if you’re on the right track you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”

Profile photo of RedRed
    @red

Hi Steve,

Good intro, appealing to most peoples dreams

By the way how did you wife fair with here boss???

Ross.

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback so far… please, keep it coming in.

In reality, Julie hasn’t needed to work for a while now but she is a very loyal employee and feels like she would be letting her boss down by gradually phasing out.

Still, I have been encouraging her to relax a little more and work less… and from 1 Jan this year she decided to at least take off Fridays. The next step is to take off Mondays too.

Her boss took it the reasonably well.

Brett – thanks for your feedback. I agree that I need to spell out why I am an authority to talk about real estate and do this in the formal Introduction (next Chapter).

What I have written here is designed to entice the casual reader who will open the inside page and then maybe read the first and last two paragraphs before making his / her mind up.

Like most of the book, it is written in a way designed to be easy to read (I hope).

I have a 30 April deadline with the publisher and expect it to be in stores in June or July.

I’ll buy 1,000 or so copies in advance and sell them here on the site. I also plan to auction the first copy that comes of the press and raise funds for charity.

OK – back to the book [8)]

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Profile photo of Kirby319Kirby319
    @kirby319

I think it is a very good intro. It makes me want to read it.

Well done. [:)]

Profile photo of annaw2annaw2
    Participant
    @annaw2

Steve Hi,
    I think it is a great introduction. As most people hear about negative gearing, and that seems to be the idea when you talk to real estate agents and developers, it’s really refreshing to focus on the positive gearing aspect. Our local papers advertise, eg. great investment $220,000, renting for $160 to great tenant who wants to stay. I shudder at that.

Obviously your book will challenge the thinking of a lot of people and encourage them to get out of their comfort zone re investing. I guess too that it will talk about buying less expensive properties when possible, and doing one’s own research. I think there is the need for an easy to understand book on the benefits of cash flow properties. Most of our friends can’t understand that we have purchased properties where the mortgage payments are substantially less than what comes in as rent. Great work – I’m looking forward to buying a copy. Anna

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

Very enticing Steve, well done.
    My only suggestion – in one paragraph you refer to budding chartered accountants, in the next to budding investors.
    Nothing major, but perhaps two different words would read better?

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi FW,

quote:

My only suggestion – in one paragraph you refer to budding chartered accountants, in the next to budding investors.

We now have aspiring chartered accountants and budding investors [;)]

Thanks,

Steve McKnight

P.S. I’ve wrtieen over 40,000 words and am about 70% of the way there.

Profile photo of susie_langmaid_2susie_langmaid_2
    @susie_langmaid_2

It must make things easier to know that even though your book isn’t out yet, it is going to become an instant “best seller”. Your an exceptionally inspiring man.
    So to sum it up “THANK YOU”.

Sue & Aaron.

Profile photo of Ringo1Ringo1
    @ringo1

Hi Steve

Enjoyed the read

Especially enjoyed your second response re your wife not really having to work.I say that because my perceptions of you & what you do (in my limited time in this chat romm) was that you would have been in that situation a long time ago

All the best- AJ

Profile photo of GaryEvansGaryEvans
    @garyevans

Absolutely inspirational[:)][:D]
    Sometimes when you read a book you can tell its going to be a best seller and this one is.
    I can see it now already No.1 on Amazon.com.
    Keep up the great work

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Hi Steve

I have read and listened to everything you have put out so far with the exception of the wraps library.

I find your material interesting, useful and most importantly easy to understand. So I thank you for the opportunity to contribute to your upcoming works.

I do agree with Brett

quote:

Firstly, as an introduction to the book, when you ask “Should I buy this book” I would just naturally assume that if a person was reading the intro, then they had already purchased the book (though I understand completely what your approach is – for those who take a quick look inside first)

that the intro should assume that the person reading it has already purchased the book, and be used to build them up for their purchase choice. I really feel that in many cases the back cover is your 3 second chance of getting them to open the cover.

However, if you disagree with me (I’ll never read your book[:0)]) I would suggest that you highlight this parragraph

quote:

Contained in the upcoming pages is detailed, specific, challenging, honest and thought-provoking information about how to use positive cashflow property investing to build enough passive income so you can gradually work less and then, finally, no longer need to work at all.

As this is a hot button phrase and you would be wanting to ensure that people don’t miss it as they skim the page.

And one last thing, watch out for typo’s!(And ignore mine[:D])

Best of luck I look forward to a read, and look forward to meeting you at the APIM.

Cheers
    Leigh K[:D]

“If you will take on your self-doubt and laziness, you will find the door to your freedom.”
    -Robert Kiyosaki

Profile photo of Kirby319Kirby319
    @kirby319

quote:

Absolutely inspirational[:)][:D]
    Sometimes when you read a book you can tell its going to be a best seller and this one is.
    I can see it now already No.1 on Amazon.com.
    Keep up the great work

Have you had the opportunity to read the book?

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

Steve,
    As always great reading. You hve touched on the dream most people have of being able to choose to work less. That should get a few to bit the hook.
    I enjoyed the read and look forward to the book.

Enjoy
    AD [:0)]
    (Andrew)

“”Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”
    Albert Einstein

Profile photo of quasimodoquasimodo
    @quasimodo

Hey there Steve!

A very engaging introduction! I loved the use of a story to begin as it immediately drew my imagination effortlessly into the book. I especially loved the part:

quote:

it dawned upon her that she was now able to enjoy a permanent long weekend for the rest of her life.

As not many people have ever entertained the idea of what they would do if they never had to work again, but EVERYone knows they would love more time for what they do on “special” events like long weekends!

To be completely honest I always tend to find myself skipping over parts in any introduction that proclaim “if XXXXX then this is for you”. In my mind the most compelling reason for me to buy a book, is if what they say they’re going to teach is a)relevant to me and b)credible. We all have umpteen people proclaiming they have just what we need which for me provokes a “I’ll be the judge of that thank-you very much! Just give me the info to do it! Now! [:)]” feeling.

I love your indirect way of dispelling people’s fears by having “other” people being the one’s saying “I’m too busy” etc. A great way to address readers fears before they have a chance to turn into skepticism!

One NLP technique I’ve found consistently useful is using a “moving towards” frame as much as possible, or in English, talking about what you’re aiming for. In this sense, we’ve all read “This isn’t a get-rich quick scheme” many times… usually from people promoting get rich quick schemes! [xx(] This sentance may be more powerful stating what kind of book this *is*… IE “This is a book that will surely and steadily allow you to build excess income that doesn’t care if you’re spending time with your family or not.” The point here is that the verbs “surely” and “steadily” imply that you’re not talking about overnight riches while giving the reader something positive to focus on. I’m sure you can come up with far better ways again than my (briefly thought about) example!

These minute ideas aside, your introduction kicks a$$ (especially the reference to modern day slavery! [:O] ). I know I’m planning on buying copies of it for myself, my family and any investors I work with in future – and if just your introduction can convince people to do that… then I fugure you must be doing something extremely right!

Looking forward to helping your sales hit a million+

Quasimodo

Profile photo of RoofarmerRoofarmer
    @roofarmer

Hi Steve,

Have you considered that maybe writing a ‘book’ is the wrong thing to do from a financial perspective. I am assuming you are going to sell said ‘book’ through a publisher where you will get maybe a 5% royalty (if you’re lucky).

I was always told never try to sell ‘a book’! Even a 12 chapter book will sell for more if you rip out each chapter and sell it as a 12 part course.

Just something to consider…

“Most people operate under a false ceiling which is 3 feet high” Stuart G Goldsmith

Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Thanks again for the feedback… please keep it coming.

Roofarmer – you are certainly right that there’s no money in writing a book.

However, as part of my wider goal to help / educate people it fits into both my ethical / moral values.

Also, a book is a good marketing tool to build up the profile of this website.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Profile photo of benking84benking84
    Participant
    @benking84

I rarely read a book but think i wil be buying yours for sure.

Cheers, and keep up the good work.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Book Intro… What Do You Think?’ is closed to new replies.