All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Refinancing – has anybody done it on IP?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of BorisSBorisS
    Participant
    @boriss

Dear All,

I’m thinking of refinancing one of my IP. I’m not sure if I do that whether I’ll be able to claim interest on the whole amount borrowed?

For example, if my property worth 300,000 and I have 200,000 in debt and I would like to borrow an entire 300,000 (using my other property) for equity. Would I be able to claim interest on 300,000 or only on those 200,000 as I’m not planning to use the difference for the investment purposes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Boris[:)]

“A good accountant is the one that on question how much is 2×2 answers how much do you want it to be?”

Profile photo of scratchmescratchme
    @scratchme

Hi BorisS,

I am not sure whether I understand your example, but the simple answer to your question is:
    You can claim the interest on the portion that is used to invest with. (It does not matter where you get the money from)

So let’s say that somehow you have $100,000. If you use $80,000 to invest with then you can claim the interest on that amount (i.e. $80,000).
    If you use $20,000 to go on holidays then you can NOT claim the interest on that.

You will also hear people say the the tax man follows the money. (i.e. they look at what you spend the money on. If it is for investing then you can claim the interest as a tax deduction, otherwise you can’t. And it doesn’t matter what you use for equity etc… (i.e. it doesn’t matter where you get the money from. They only look at what it was spent on))

Australian Property Software

APIM —> http://www.apim.com.au

APDM —> http://www.apim.com.au

Profile photo of zizziz
    Participant
    @ziz

Hi Boris

It depends on what you use the money for.

If the money is used to purchase further income producing assets then the money is tax deductable. I

If the money is simply wasted on a home extension, doodat or any other non investment related use then it will not be tax deductable.

So the specific answer to your question
    “Would I be able to claim interest on 300,000 or only on those 200,000 as I’m not planning to use the difference for the investment purposes” only the 200k would be tax deductable.

Cheers

Profile photo of BorisSBorisS
    Participant
    @boriss

Thank you very much for your feedback.
    I had thoughts along the same lines.

Boris

“A good accountant is the one that on question how much is 2×2 answers how much do you want it to be?”

Profile photo of Old School SkataOld School Skata
    @old-school-skata

It is important to note the comments from ziz – funds used to purchase income-producing assets. The investment you purchase must produce income for you to claim the interest costs as a tax deduction. eg You cannot claim the interest costs on funds used to purchase a block of land, unless it generates you an income.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Refinancing – has anybody done it on IP?’ is closed to new replies.