All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Cracks in brickwork – when to walk away?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp

Looking at investment properties, some of the older ones I’m considering (late 1980s, brick) are a little tired looking.

Peeling paint doesn’t concern me – this can be easily fixed. However in buildings I enquire about there are sometimes small cracks in the brickwork.

One of the books I’m reading says to avoid houses with large visible cracks, especially those leading away from doors and windows. The implication was that small cracks were harmless.

How is this so? Surely won’t they spread? Wouldn’t this affect the structural integrity of the building? Can cracks be fixed (as opposed to being filled up)?

I know the building inspection should reveal these problems, I am inclined to give ANY building with the smallest crack a miss, even if it may be $20k cheaper.

Am I doing the right thing, or should I not worry about little cracks?

Peter

Profile photo of YHLCYHLC
    @yhlc

Hi peter,

best thing to do is have a chat with a couple building inspector of your concerns. they will give you good advice and hope that you will appoint them when u sign the contract. choose the one who explains a lot and i logical. you will learn a great deal from that person.

normally, a gap of less than 1mm is no problem. also, check the grout by runing a pen along and see how easily it comes out.

good lcuk

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Cracks in brickwork – when to walk away?’ is closed to new replies.