All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Getting the Best out of My Accountant

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of Graham1Graham1
    @graham1

What makes a good accountant? Anyone out there get good advice on property investment? What is it that makes it a good service? What do you expect for their $150/hr fees? I’m hunting for a new accountant and I want to make sure I get the most out of him/her. My current one seems to know little more then how to do my tax return!

Graham

Profile photo of annaw2annaw2
    Participant
    @annaw2

Hi Graham, we have the same problem. Our accountant is not into property investment and our daughter actually got a further considerable tax refund this year after changing accountants to one in Sydney where she lives. She has a couple of properties there.

Does anyone have a good accountant in the Newcastle/Maitland area? Would appreciate info.
    Anna

Profile photo of quasimodoquasimodo
    @quasimodo

You want someone who is coming from the same mindset primarily, who also knows and loves “the game” (in this case actually doing accounting!). To check the mindset I’d casually enquire what they think of mainstream stalwarts such as negative gearing, mutual funds, dollar cost averaging. Then I’d try asking about areas relating to what you want to do EG positive cashflow property. I’d listen to their responses not so much for the data they can give you as which way emotionally they seem to lean. IE if you property that actually *makes* you money and they’re convinced that such a thing virtually doesn’t exist, then chances are they’re not going to know the best way of dealing with it when you hand it to them! If they go on to look worried and suggest you need to buy a negative geared property to balance out “all that extra tax you have to pay” for your +ve cashflow, then I humbly suggest running as fast as your legs will take you… [;)]

Quasimodo

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Getting the Best out of My Accountant’ is closed to new replies.