All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Budgeting pls help

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of Fireman_2Fireman_2
    @fireman_2

[:D]Hi Steve McKnight and all forum users. My first post and looking forward to a long association here.

Can anyone here advise me of a good buget package or system to help manage our money? I really need one that is simple and encourages us to be strong and fpllow it. Are their any computer ones around?

Regards Fireman

Profile photo of Pro investorPro investor
    Participant
    @pro-investor

Hi Fireman
    I strated by reading money secrets of the rich and used what was in the book on saving and avoiding debt. Help this help.

Thanks Rob

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

Yep I agree with Robert I feel that book is an excellent key to wealth. I also liked the money finder that Geoff Doidge and Paul Eslick have in a book. You can find it “The Ten Golden Rules of Property Investing” on
    http://www.businessmall.com.au/ It is an excellent way of finding hidden money. Not a bad read either.

Enjoy
    AD [:0)]

“Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.”
    Lat., “Seize the day, put no trust in tomorrow.”
    -Horace, Odes

Profile photo of MBMB
    @mb

Hi Fireman,

“Australia’s Money Secrets of the Rich” by John Burley and Bruce Whiting (as Robert has recommended), as well as “The Richest Man in Babylon” by George Clason, are both absolutely exceptional books on budgeting and general money management. I’d suggest reading “Richest Man…” first and then following the exercises in “Australia’s Money Secrets…”.

Regards,
    Marcus.

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Microsoft Excel!![;)]

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi Fireman,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.

I thought that Nivia Pryor and her husband, Michael, but out a budget planning template which had good reviews.

Give freestyler’s a call on 1800 626 011. Their website is: http://www.freestyler.net.au/

Bye,

Steve McKnight

P.S. Don’t forget about Quicken, MYOB and Microsoft Money for software packages.

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of wilsonkaywilsonkay
    @wilsonkay

Hi Fireman,

My advice to you when you are puting a budget together (regardless of what method you use) is keep it simple!! Don’t make it any harder than it absolutely has to be. Because this is a very necassary foundation for your wealth creation it’s important that it takes as little effort as possible so that you are not discouraged from doing it.

I always like to try and help people out so tell you what to save you some work – if you send me an email to [email protected] I will email you two speadsheets that I use for budgeting, and keeping track of my current finacial position (this is useful when you go to a lender for a loan etc).

How’s that!!

It is nothing flash but it works!

Hope to hear from you.

Regards,

Tim Wilson.

Profile photo of jassepjassep
    @jassep

Hi Fireman,

If you can get hold of a copy (and they were scarce when it was first printed) try “The Money Tree” by Diana Mathew.

It was featured about 6 years ago on Today/Tonight (or one of those shows), I saw it, bought it, implemented it and am glad to say have a very large level of savings. It is a simple system, but VERY effective!

Kindest Regards
    Jason S
    ++++++++++++++++
    Check out my E-Bay Auctions:
    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=jayess70&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25

Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp

I am a strong believer in having control over one’s finances, but you won’t need to budget at all if you have a tough mindset of ‘just saying NO’ unless there are overwhelming benefits.

Make it a rule that every major product you buy must save you either time or money. If it doesn’t, then don’t buy it. For example a VCR or DVD requires the expenditure of both, and unless used for educational or creative purposes, should not be purchased.

On the other hand, if you have a wood fired hot water system that you need to gather wood and light, then a solar or gas one could be worth buying if it saves you time and you can afford the running costs. Ditto for microwave ovens, cars (for some people), etc.

Then there are the little things, like takeaway food, biscuits, lollies etc, which are harder.

Instead of a budget, you need to have some understanding of major living expenses along with an idea of smaller ones. Then you can work out how much you can save a month. 25-50% of take home pay is good and achieveable for many. Have this amount taken out of your bank account (for investment in managed funds, extra payments for loans, savings for deposits, etc). This is what the books mean when they say ‘pay yourself first’.

Aim to keep your regular savings account constant by questioning the necessity of everything someone wants you to buy. If you can do this, you’ll save heaps and won’t need to worry about budgeting.

Profile photo of Brett_2Brett_2
    Participant
    @brett_2

quote:

I am a strong believer in having control over one’s finances, but you won’t need to budget at all if you have a tough mindset of ‘just saying NO’ unless there are overwhelming benefits.

I disagree with this. Although I’ve only recently finished putting together a budget for the first time, I think that budgeting is more about understanding where all your money is going. Once you have a firm grasp of where the dollars are flowing to, you can then begin to plan for the future.

There is a book by Greg Smith – Unlock the secrets of your money personality, which was sent out free from the ANZ bank if you filled out a very brief online survey (I think about housing loans) This is a truly excellent book which incorporates a lot of the same thinking as the members of these forums. Among other things inside is a an excellent guide of making a ‘Budget Planner’ which is what I also followed in the one that I have made in Excel. If you would like to see a copy fireman just let me know. [:)]

Regards,
    Brett

Profile photo of quasimodoquasimodo
    @quasimodo

Hi Fireman!

You wouldn’t happen to be the same fireman from the JB forums by chance? If so we know each other and I’d love to hear how you’re going!

HINT: I’m a certain ex staff member you’ve met at a number of seminars! [;)]

Quasimodo
    [email protected]

PS If you’re NOT the Fireman off the JB forum feel free to ignore this! [:D]

Profile photo of seahorseseahorse
    @seahorse

Hi
    A great software package for personal budgeting is “Simply Budgets”. Check out
    http://www.simplybudgets.com and if you need some help with how to work the software contact me via my site http://www.homecall.com.au
    Cheers and happy budgeting!![:)]

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Budgeting pls help’ is closed to new replies.