All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Where to next ??

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

Hey there everyone.
    Got a question for you all. What do you people think will happen in the Real Estate Market this year ?? Will we see rises, falls or stagnation ??? I was having a chat to a friend and he was talking about how history repeats itself …… do you agree. Should we be looking back in time to see what is next ?? Love to hear all you’re opinions so don’t be shy now post away……..

Enjoy
    AD [:0)]

“Enjoy life. There’s plenty of time to be dead.”
    -Anon.

Profile photo of keykey
    @key

Hi AD

Congrats on the new three star rating. I believe we are in for a year of uncertain times. Some areas are still going up, some areas may have hit a plateau and some areas/regions will go down due to a number of signs or indicators that are wise to watch out for. The indicators are not yet clear but their are reasons for them to start to appear. I have just bought an under valued IP in a still rising market and I am actively looking to continue to purchase so I don’t consider myself a doom and gloom negative type but I am cautious. It seems to me that the experienced successful investors started in a more forgiving market, we are fortunate to be able to benifit from a few of these experienced investors. I get a lot of encouragement to “look harder” and “do something today” from these mentors, I believe I can (faith statement) make money in any market,it’s just that I don’t know how yet. I look at the conflicts over seas, the unprecedented amount of investors investing in real estate, the state of the economy, the drought, the colour of peoples socks nowdays and I wonder how hard and how fast should I be going, “fools rush in where angels fear to tread”and “don’t do what everyone else is doing” thoughts are at the forefront of my mind. I am not letting these thoughts stop me but they do get in the road at times. My question is what did history do that we may learn and profit from?

Key

“A procrastinators work is never done”

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

Interesting thoughts Key. I think it is a pretty safe bet to say that this year is going to be an interesting one. Between War and the stockmarket there should be some serious turmoil. As to what history has done I guess I always remember that “nothing is new” quite often we can see similar patterns occurring in the past and get some feel for what may come. I am not a navel gazer by any stretch but it is silly to close ones eyes to the possible futures. As to doing what every one else is doing……. There is no doubt that many people have enterred or are about to enter the property market in recent times. For me that says that I must be consistently sticking to my buying parameters so that I don’t get caught in the rush. If I can pick the gems out then I will do well. It is when I rush to everybody else’s approaches that I will come a cropper. If that means there are fewer houses to buy in the near future so be it. But when the3 market turns (and it will) I will be still applying my same rules and there will be many more properties to choose from.
    Interesting thoughts……

Enjoy

“Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.”
    Lat., “Seize the day, put no trust in tomorrow.”
    -Horace, Odes

Profile photo of mitchmitch
    @mitch

Greetings All, just in relation to what Key said in relation to “the unprecedented amount of investors investing in Real Estate” and AD said “no doubt that many people have entered or are about to enter the property market” ,l wonder what will happen to all these one off investors in the next three to five years.We all relise that property investing is not all beer and scittles and it takes commitment in your beliefs as an PI to get you through sometimes.Now dealing with the public(as tennants) and banks and R E agents and all the other people who sometimes seem to be there just to add spice to what could be just another day, could knock about some one off investors to the point that it just gets to hard,then what? Could there be enough one off investers to hurt the rental market in years to come ? or is there going to be bargins galore when its not going as well as they had hoped and its time to sell up? . MITCH

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

I think it will be like anything. Know your expected outcome and know your area. Remember the deal of a lifetime comes around on average once a month (if you are looking right!) and that next deal is probably in your own neighbourhood.

Profile photo of zizziz
    Participant
    @ziz

Hi Guys (all sexes)

Just some thoughts

History repeats itself because people don’t learn. A classic example is the recent stock market boom where the talk was ‘this time is different’ ‘new econmy’ etc and the prices were pushed beyond reasonable investment criteria. People believe the hype get on the band wagon the axels break and low and behold a lot of people get hurt.

As discussed before the average interest rate has been 10% over 20-30 years yet people are buying property that returns 2-3 %. Their justification, capital gain and the interest rate is <6%. What happens when we get interest rates back to historic levels. These people will suffer massively on the increased payments required with no rent increases and even see a drop in the value of the properties.

Mitch, in relation to the one off investor the stats on property investing is 7% have 1 IP 5% have 2 ip, 3% have 3 and 1/2% have more than 3. Don’t quote me on the actual break down but it is dramatic. What I believe happens is that these people hold mainly for emotional reasons until the next boom, about 6-8 years, by which time they are absolutely fed up with the problems then they sell up just before the next big jump in capital gain. They have made 25% in capital gain for a 6-8 year hold (real loss) and the next person makes 100% for a hold of 1-2 years. The motivation for these people is the slight gain after many years of no gain. They rushed in and are then rushing out.

The irony is that at the same time rental returns will be increasing as shortages in rental properties occur.

By the way I think one of the reasons that this boom is going longer than normal is the influcts of baby boomers who realise they suddenly have to do something before its to late.

In realation to the baby boomers I am doing some research to determine the correct angle to play.

Cheers

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

Hey Ziz,
    Interesting thoughts on the baby boomers….want to share your thoughts ??

Enjoy

“Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.”
    Lat., “Seize the day, put no trust in tomorrow.”
    -Horace, Odes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Where to next ??’ is closed to new replies.