All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Property Inspection

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of ArnaldoArnaldo
    Participant
    @arnaldo

First of all, hello to everyone. I am just a newbie to Property Investing although I’ve been educating myself for a long time and procrastinating a lot [:I].
    My question is, who usually do the structural inspection of a property? Is this a must even for new properties?
    Thanks in advance.

Arnaldo

Profile photo of BelladonnaBelladonna
    Participant
    @belladonna

In my experience, it is up to you as the purchaser of the property to make sure it is structurally sound. A formal inspection is not compulsory, however unless you are a builder or such, it is well advised. It’s up to you whether you have one done on a new property… some new properties can be very shoddy workmanship erected very quickly as a friend of mine is now discovering. Fortunately you are covered by the BSA if major structural defects occur within a certain time period after construction (in QLD I think this is 6yrs) but it’s a time consuming process of red tape & beurocracy to file a case with the BSA. Do your background checks on the builder of a new property & ask to see examples of previous (older) work.

Profile photo of IBIB
    @ib

Even though I am an Architect,
    I get a property inspection company
    and a pest inspection company to inspect
    all my properties. Another person can sometimes be more objective.

New finishes can cover a multitude of faults on
    new or old properties.

Many new properties do seem built only to last for
    their guarantee period (7-10 years).

Profile photo of TheBTheB
    @theb

Hi Arnaldo

Welcome to P-I-dot-com [:)]

We now have building and electrical inspecitons done on all of our properties.

Where we live there is less problem with pests than some states, but would consider that as necessary depending on where you live. Our building inspector does however look for some of those things as he goes.

Electrical inpsections have been a real plus with one just before christmas saving us a $1,800 rewiring bill as we managed to negotiate that the Vendors corrected the problem before settlement.

there you go !

cheers

the Bruce

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Property Inspection’ is closed to new replies.