All Topics / The Treasure Chest / PATIO ROOF PLANS- BRISBANE

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of AlexAlex
    Participant
    @alex

I recently received a quote for getting plans designed and lodged for a small timber patio roof (35square meters). The quote was $770 for working drawings and approx $600 for a private cerifier to lodge the plans with the Brisbane City Council. This seems like a lot of money to me before I even get to buy the first nail. Does anybody know if this is a fair price or can someone recommend a draftsman/certifier who can do the job for me for less?

Profile photo of TopnotchTopnotch
    @topnotch

Hi Alex

I design & build sheds, garages & carports on the Sunshine Coast. The Council fees are probably correct, the certifier is really the best way to go, he would only do a final inspection anyway,so his costs are minimal, the majority of fees are swallowed up by council.

If this is going on the back of your house, why worry about council approval – just do it.

They can’t make you pull it down as long as it doesn’t break any of the boundary rules etc, the worst thing is that you may have to lodge a building application later if it creates a problem when you go to sell the house.

Heaps of additions like this are just erected without council approval, you just have to feel comfortable with it yourself.

I even know of a ‘phanton’ erector who pops up steel buildings without approvals at no cost, we
    don’t get involved ourselves, just sell an expensive “kit” which comes in at a remarkably close price to an erected job!

Why get engineers to do working drawings? Surely a handyman carpenter could build it blindfolded. We only work in steel so I haven’t got anything suitable but plenty of these structures are found everywhere. Go to Bunnings – they’ll probably have a book showing how it’s done.

You may evenm find some drawings on the web.

Cheers,

Topnotch
    On The Sunshine Coast Of Queensland Where Our Bones Are Always Warm

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘PATIO ROOF PLANS- BRISBANE’ is closed to new replies.