All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Reno jobs, tips to saving money!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi there,

Just like the ‘useful links’ post, I thought that since a majority of the properties bought may need a little T.L.C. prior to selling/tenanting/leasing etc., there may be some of you who have experience with doing this sort of reno’s or touchups for a living and have information on do it yourself (D.I.Y)and or where to find second hand/ex-demo goods or junk yards specializing in household/building items. If you do, tip away, post away and show us your skills. We do not want people advertising their business, just dinky-di help tips or D.I.Y. jobs.

Cheers

Sooshie [:)]

There are no problems, only solutions!

Profile photo of rossolotrossolot
    @rossolot

Gday guys
    I found the Gray Eisdell Matthews Auctions in Springvale Victoria to be a very good source of building supplies. They have a renovators auction every fortnight advertised on the back of the Age business section. We found paint 10 litres/$10 doors $10+ timber windows cheap cheap and all soughts of goodies.

have fun

Rossco

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Well,

From my limited renovation experience I’d say this:

1. You can usually get an immediate discount (even if you are not a tradesperson) by setting up an account with the local stores rather than paying cash at the counter. This has two benefits… 1. You can save your cash and 2. You get a discount [;)]

2. If there is an absolute must when it comes to renovating it is a new front door. Don’t go for the cheapest option here.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of RetiredoneRetiredone
    @retiredone

With most T.L.C, one of best things that can be done to the property is a fresh coat of paint. Because I have mostly purchased units I cannot do too much to the exterior (strata managers have a fit when you do things without their approval).

When painting (I believe that everyone can do it who has a little time and paitence) decide what type of market you are aiming for first. If you are buying and holding – paint it one neutral colour on all walls. Usually and very light green, blue or pink is common amounst investors. Painting the doors a high gloss white does wonders as it makes the room a lot brighter. This leaves us with the skirtings and door frames – a high gloss light grey is a neutral colour that goes with almost everything. Keep this theme with all your investment properties that you are buying and holding. So when you need to repain a wall 5 years down the track by keeping only these three colours you can paint any of you units saving you heaps of money – rather than going out and buying paint every time a tenant moves out. I think paint has a recommened shelf life of only 2 years.

If you are trying to put a wrap together or on selling the property, go down to visit the show rooms. Masterton…etc. Go into their show rooms and have a good look around. Its always good to know what the competition is doing, especially if they are spending lots of money on research to keep up with fashion. Look at what colour they are painting their walls – feature walls are the in thing at the moment. Try to find out what colours they are using. Ikea is another good place to go and find inspiring colours.

I have had a few years experience in DIY now so I can pretty much fix almost every thing now. I usually find out the hard way of how to fix things, making mistakes then calling in the professionals to fix it for me. Funny enough the second time round, after looking at how the professionals do it is alot easier, especially if you keep asking them questions when there fixing your mistakes.

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi,

Thanks for all your responses [:)]. Are you also aware as Steve mentioned that local stores, including BIG hardware stores will give discount cards (on merit/work basis).
    Garage sales – stick to your shopping list or you’ll come home with extra rubbish (Insert GROAN here “—” My brother-in-law is having a garage sale tomorrow and we (de hubby) got first pick. Well we got a coffee table??? A wine rack??? A couple of glass jelly bowls ??? A couple of Bananas in PJ’s posters??? and some rolls of greaseproof paper rolls). However our wrap property still needs a coat of paint. Moral of the story -> Stick to your list whilst shopping at garage sales.
    You might also want to try something online, like http://www.sold.com.au or http://www.ebay.com

Cheers
    Sooshie

There are no problems, only solutions!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Reno jobs, tips to saving money!’ is closed to new replies.