All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Investment Selection Criteria

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of Dan260Dan260
    @dan260

Hi fellow investors:

People always talk about setting goals and ivestment criteria.

So Lets use this board to formalise our Investment Criteria (IN WRITTING). You will find that it not only helps with your focus but also will prompt others to share their goals and investment criteria as well.

So I will start the ball rolling:

Investment Criteria:

Invest in 3×1 houses, either 10km from city or coast, be built after 1984, in suburbs that have median house price below average metropolitan, yielding no less than 7% gross.

Investment Goal:

To purchase at least 1 cash flow positive property a year for 10years to generate passive income of around $100k p.a. tax free and have in excess of $1.5m in property.

OK GUYS NOW ITS YOUR TURN.

Dan

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

My ultimate money goal:

Acquire ownership of a generous source of income that flows to me regardless of any job.

Execution

1. Minimise personal debt

2. Create an independent investment pool of $500 per month that sits for emergencies and earns a minimum of 5% per annum

3. Invest in property in such a way as it immediately returns a positive cashflow outcome

4. Help others to understand investing strategies and in doing so cement my own understanding broaden my investing knowledge.

Accountability

I’m accountable for my results to myself, my business partner and my wife.

2003 Goal

1. To keep personal dent to a minimum.

2. To have my emergency savings account increase by a further 40%.

3. To acquire a further $20m in property.

4. To invest the time and resources to make PropertyInvesting.com the #1 property investing site in Australia

5. To always have fun and be passionate about helping people knowing that money flows rather than being an outcome.

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of Nathan1Nathan1
    @nathan1

Ok, My three main goals for 2003 (to be revised once I get a better understanding of the property game and what the limitations are), are:

* Eliminate my credit card, computer and car loans
    * Acquire my first 5 (or more) investment properties, and all must have positive cashflow from day 1
    * Finish writing my website content management system software so that I can earn PI capital from clients who use my software

email: g e n e r a l g h e r k i n @ y a h o o . c o m
    phone: 0405 411 098

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

Here goes,

Final Money Goal (Greater than this year)

1. To be free.
    2. To acquire assets that yeild me a passive income of $200,000 per annum.

This Years Goals

*Property
    1. To acquire wraps that will nett me $20,000 pa.
    2. To complete Renovation projects that will gross me $100,000 on resale.
    3. To but 10-12 Positive cashflow properties.
    4. To reduce my overall debt vs value. (Increase my wealth)
    5. To completely pay off my “bad” debt on my Own house.

*People
    1. To spend more time with my beautiful wife and two beautiful daughters.
    2. To invest my time in 3 other people this year to help them toward their financial goal (Don’t know who yet).
    3. To give time to this forum to aid others on their journey.
    4. To start a property investing group in Brisbane that will encourage people to make “positive” decisions.

*Philanthropy
    1. To increase my giving of time to charitable organisations.
    2. To increase my financial giving to charitable organisations by at least 50%.

*Philosphy
    1. To spend focussed time once a week to increase my knowledge about life, money, and all that jazz by listening to experts in their fields (DVD, tapes, etc. This excludes my continuous reading).
    2. To spend time every day increasing my knowledge and relationship with God.

*Pastimes
    1. To lose 20 kilos and get a lot fitter.
    2. To play golf every fortnight to challenge myself with a little white ball. (drop my handicap to around 10).

Well there we have it. The five P’s
    I am looking toward a big year and I am keen to get started.
    Hope you guys are in for the ride.

Enjoy

AD [:0)]

A great deal of talent is lost to the world for want of a little courage. Every day sends to their graves obscure men whose timidity prevented them from making a first effort.
    -Sydney Smith

Profile photo of moneytreemoneytree
    @moneytree

hi, i would like to get my first 5 properties in 2003 and i will name them homer, madge, bart, lisa and maggie. not much of a goal hey, but i bet it works. planing for the brady bunch in 2004.lol……… tree

Profile photo of kazzakazza
    @kazza

What a great idea to write down your goals in this forum. We went away last week to do just that and it is amazing to look back at your goals and realise that you did achieve them.

1. Buy 3 more positive cash flow properties before the end of the financial year.

2. Use the positive cash flow to reduce bad debt (our house.

3. Stop and smell the roses more often. Enjoy what we have achieved already.

4. Teach our children good money management and positive life skills.

5. Give thanks to God for what he has done for us.

Long Term Goal:

To be able to retire in 5 years with a passive income $150,000

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

ULTIMATE GOAL
    To build a business (weekend/spare time importing business) that produces a profit of at least $2000 per week so that I can quit my day job.

To buy and hold positive cash flow property with a passive income of at least $2000 per week.

SHORT TERM GOAL (3 – 6 months)
    Fix up my ‘potential’ positive cash flow property so that it is positive. (Currently 4 / 5 units vacant).

Keep searching for positive cash flow property.

Continue trying to manage the current orders that I have for my business and hopefully get others.

GOAL 2003
    Buy another 5 – 10 untis (positive cash flow)

Have at least 3 – 4 orders from my business this year

#####################
    Tomorrow, you might wish you started today.
    #####################

Profile photo of MikeRobinsonMikeRobinson
    @mikerobinson

Hi Guy’s&Gal’s,It’s good to see the different goals that people are setting even though they all have that common theme.Ifeel the need to upgrade my personal goals both for 2003 and beyond after reading these posts but Dan is right,itdoes help to write them down and read other peoples.AD when are you planning to sleep?Angie,what is your business?Maybe we can put in an order.Steve,you never cease to amaze me,$20 million more property.My neck is still sore from all the head nodding.I thought my goalof 4 positive geared properties in 2003 would be testing me out.I hope we all achieve our dreams.Awise old workmate of mine once told me that if you think you can do it,you can but if you think you can’t do it, you can’t.Happy investing,Mick.

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

Sleep ?? Who needs sleep Mike. But seriously. I look at what my family accomplished last year without direction and know that anything is possible this year. My desire to retire is intense and short of hurting my family and values I will do whatever it takes. Napoleon Hill talks about the desire needing to “be” real. For me the desire is real. Also heard another tape the other day by John C Maxwell where he said that success is not really success unless you take someone with you. Who are you guys and gals taking with you (apart from family). I think you wil;l blitz your target if you really want to Mike. If you rrreeeaaalllyy want to. Ehat is your desire ?

Enjoy
    AD [:0)]

Success is not the result of sponataneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.
    Reggie Leach

Profile photo of moneytreemoneytree
    @moneytree

To AD…… in your goals under PEOPLE…hmmmm help 3 people to reach their goals… here I am. I need a mentor can you be that special person. just an email every now and then will do me. im so passionate about this idea i have but friends and family just dont seem to think like me. regards tree [email protected]

money does grow on trees

Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi Mike,

I am currently in the process of importing some cardboard and some plastics from vietnam. Basically, I can import anything, just as long as I can find a buyer and a seller. What do you need? [:)] You can be sure that I will try to find it for you at a competative price… [:)]

Cheers,
    Angie

#####################
    #####################

Keymaster
    @piadmin

Sorry, to continue on… I believe that the best way to property investing is to build a business that will give you the means to buy these positive cash flow property that you want to buy. Cause if you want to just save with the money that you earn at your average day job to go towards the property that you want to buy, I don’t think that it will be that easy to buy more than one a year.. especially if you are putting up to 20% down for deposit.. It takes a lot of effort to save like $30k for a property!

#####################
    #####################

Profile photo of RobJaniceRobJanice
    @robjanice

Greetings all!

What an inspiring list of goals.

Angie – That is a great way to go as it is another form of leveraging and one that can be accelerated as fast as you can drive it.

Regards
    Rob

“A bank is a place where where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain

Keymaster
    @piadmin

Dear All,
    Could you clarify your criteria for Cash Flow Positive? e.g. is that after bank interest, managment fees, R&M. Or is it Gross return?

And
    What do you consider a reasonable return (%) on your investment?

Cheers Isagold

Profile photo of MikeRobinsonMikeRobinson
    @mikerobinson

Hi Isagold,cash flow positive means just that.It means you use none of your own money to pay off the investment.What is a reasonable return?Well,depending on where you are between 10 and 36%Happy investing,Mick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Investment Selection Criteria’ is closed to new replies.