Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of hilshils
    @hils

Hi all,
    I have heard that if I purchase a property outside of my own state that I do not have to pay Land Tax on it. Is this the case and if so, why? Would the State in which the property is located not just send me their land tax chages?
    I currently have four properties in Western Australia, where I live, and get slugged fairly heavily each year for Land Tax. If I can buy elsewhere and not have to pay, I would have one in each state and take a holiday in a different state each year.
    Please advise if yoiu can tell me how it works.
    PS: I am knew to this forum, but am not sure if it is the same as the other NineMSN Property Investors Forum, just with a new format.
    Regards
    Hils.

Profile photo of TheBTheB
    @theb

Hils

Hi there !

It is my understanding (and of course I may be incorrect) that land tax in general applies to any property other than your own.

However, there are different rules in each state and you would need to talk to treasury in each state to find out for sure about the policy

cheers

Bruce

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

Hi Hils
    No, this board is not related to the property investors forum on ninemsn. Steve McKnight set up this site for people with an interest in positive cashflow property, particularly his many graduates. The ninemsn site was set up many years ago by myself as an opportunity for people interested in investment property to swap ideas. There is no affiliation to any one author, seminar or property concept. Both great sources of ideas and information!

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi Felicity,

Thanks for the clarifying post.

In fact, this site does not necessarily owe any affiliate to me and I certainly don’t want it to be the “Steve McKnight” site – such as Somersoft is Jan Somer’s site etc.

I’m more than happy to be an expert, but all visitors should appreciate that my thoughts are my opinion and need to be considered and debated rather than swallowed as unquestionable fact.

This web site facility is available to any and every investor – and while the theme is +ve cashflow, I welcome any posts on any matter relating to property investing.

Indeed, I welcome constructive criticism about me [:)], since I’m always trying to improve too.

Bye

Steve McKnight

P.S. Re: land tax – I understand it to be a State by State based tax and that there is no connection between databases. That is, NSW land holdings are not added to Vic. to form one assessment base, rather there are two assessment basis.

The rates, thresholds etc. vary from State to State too.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Land Tax’ is closed to new replies.