All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Getting Started..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi There,

I’m an Australian, who’s currently living and studying in China.

Just recently, the idea of becoming financially independent at a relatively young age has become more and more appealing to me. So I started having a look around at the possibilities on offer, and figured that property investment seems to be the way to go.

Obviously the sooner I could reach financial independence the better, however I’d still like to stay overseas both studying and working for a few more years if possible.

I guess what I’m looking for is to hear of people’s opinions/experiences regarding whether it is better to start off with a larger amount of capital in a few years, or a smaller amount of capital in just 1 year or so (or possibly even no capital and now [:D]) Regarding the latter two options, how feasible is it to invest in local (Australian) properties while living overseas and only returning home occasionaly during that time?

Also, as an unexperienced but highly-interested newcomer to this field, I guess I’m just interested in hearing other people’s experiences of how they first set off down the path towards achieving financial independence, and the initial costs/capital that was required to do so.

Your thoughts, comments, & words of wisdom would be highly appreciated.

Imron [:)]

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

The children are calling, so this will be short and sweet.
    Best words of wisdom I can give you – START.
    I know too many people who go into analysis paralysis mode, study every option, assess risk factors – and never actually do anything.
    Work out what you want from your first investment property, cashflow, capital growth or some of both, work out where you can achieve that and with what sort of property, work out how much capital you need to do that – then when you have that much, DO IT!

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi Imron,

Welcome to Property Investing.Com! And all the way from China too… awesome!

quote:

I’m an Australian, who’s currently living and studying in China.

Hey – great! Pls tell us more about what you’re doing as it is certainly something very different. Is it an exchange type situation?

quote:

Just recently, the idea of becoming financially independent at a relatively young age has become more and more appealing to me.

I certainly understand! Good on you for looking for a new possibility.

quote:

…and figured that property investment seems to be the way to go.

I’d be interested to know the reasoning behind why you have come to this conclusion. There are so many ways to invest in property, and so many property investing outcomes… I guess what I am asking is ‘what outcome are you looking for from your property investments?’

quote:

Obviously the sooner I could reach financial independence the better, however I’d still like to stay overseas both studying and working for a few more years if possible.

Well great! That gives you time to develop an action plan that can combine capital collection (cash in) with investment activities (cash out). You are perfectly placed.

quote:

I guess what I’m looking for is to hear of people’s opinions/experiences regarding whether it is better to start off with a larger amount of capital in a few years, or a smaller amount of capital in just 1 year or so (or possibly even no capital and now [:D])

Well, I think that you can only score a goal while you are in the game. My opinion is that it is better to get in asap and learn the ropes than holding off. I now say “you are only one deal away from financial independence… it’s that one great deal replicated many times over.”

quote:

Regarding the latter two options, how feasible is it to invest in local (Australian) properties while living overseas and only returning home occasionaly during that time?

Mate, only you can answer this question… you can make it as easy or as hard as you like. The key will be to leverage your time and to do that you’ll need to build a team around you. Regularly coming to this website is a step in the right direction too.

quote:

Also, as an unexperienced but highly-interested newcomer to this field, I guess I’m just interested in hearing other people’s experiences of how they first set off down the path towards achieving financial independence, and the initial costs/capital that was required to do so.

Good idea… I’d be interested to see the posts from a other people about this too.

Imron, thanks again for your post. Your contribution is always welcome.

Regards

Steve McKnight

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of EKfourEKfour
    @ekfour

Howdy!

I’m also a newbie, & all I can say is that once you get off your butt & actually start doing something you will learn heaps! I started from knowing NOTHING about wraps just under 2 months ago, and now I’ve already advertised, researched, etc etc. Just waiting for the phone to ring!

Yeah I’ve found that the hardest thing to do is to take action. In a way I’ve been ‘foced’ to. I’m stuck in an absolutely crappy job, & I sure wouldn’t like to remain that way! Hope this gives you some inspiration!

Cheers
    Wei

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Thanks for your comments Felicity, Steve & Wei,

Actually, I had initially written a much longer post that answered some of your questions Steve, but then decided to shorten it as it seemed to go on for a bit too long [:)] Not to worry, I’ll make up for it in this post.

Regarding what I’ve been doing: for the last 10 months I’ve been living and working in China as an English Teacher. Teaching isn’t my profession, but at the moment China is calling out for native speakers to go over there and teach (only a Bachelor’s degree in any discipline is required). So I figured it would be a good opportunity to go and see what living there was all about (which BTW is *very* different from what most people imagine it to be). Plus I was interested in the language and culture so I looked at it as a way to learn the language and travel around China for a year with next to no cost to myself (always a good thing [:)]

I’ve now finished teaching, but am enjoying myself in China and so I’ve decided to spend the next year studying Chinese at Beijing University. Once I’ve finished doing that, my plan is to look for work in China based on my qualifications, which are IT related. Hopefully at that time, I’ll also have the added bonus of being able to speak both Chinese and English. Ideally I’d try to find work with an international company, and therefore be able to earn a foreign salary yet have Chinese living costs (this equates to huge savings, especially if you also get living abroad/relocation allowances and/or accomodation).

What brought me on to property investment is the idea of continual positive cashflow (pretty much exactly what you’ve been talking about on this site. [:)] Before going to China, I’d also travelled and worked around Europe for a bit, and the more I travelled, the more I met other travellers who owned property (or other investments) back home, and were just using the income generated from that to travel around the world. This struck me as being an emminently sensible thing to do. [:)] What finally convinced me of the idea, was speaking to an Englishman I met just recently in Beijing. When he was young (teen-early 20’s) he’d worked really hard, saved up enough and started investing in property with a lean towards generating postive cashflow. At 25 he owned a number of properties (he didn’t say how many), had just spent the last year travelling around the world, and had a guaranteed monthly income for the rest of his life. And to top it all off he was 1 year younger than myself!

What attracts me to property investment is not the idea accumulating vast amounts of wealth/net worth, but rather the idea of having a steady and continual amount of income month after month, essentially guaranteed (assuming there are tenants) for the rest of my life. This doesn’t have to be a large amount, because in many countries that I still haven’t visited, a little bit of money can go a long, long way. As an example, in China I was paid ~US$3,000 for the year. A pittance compared to what I could earn (and had been earning in London) as a software engineer, and yet it enabled me to live like a king, and see parts of the world I could never have seen while sitting in front of a computer monitor 12 hours a day, 5-6 days a week [:)]

My dillema is this: I actually have a reasonable amount of capital at the moment (~AUD$12,000). However I intended to use this for tuition fees and living costs for the next year while studying in China (the term starts this September). This is something I *really* want to do, as I enjoy living in China, and I enjoy learning languages – and my philosphy in life so far has been that it’s important to pursue things that make you happy and enrich your life, and when you do that, the rest will fall into place – and this has certainly worked well for me up to now.

However that money isn’t commited at the moment, and from what I have been reading and learning, it seems to be enough to get started in property investment – however if I do this, it will come at the expense of studying. At the moment, I’m not in any great hurry. When I decided that financial independence was where I wanted to head, I initially decided to have a five year plan to achieve it. It was (and still is) pretty much as follows

1st year: study
    2nd-3rd year: work in China & save
    4th-5th year: invest
    6th year+: retire [:)]

Currently I’m back in Australia for a short holiday, but I have a return flight that leaves for Beijing on the 7th of August – and once I go, then I see that money as commited for the year as I want to ensure I can live within my means while studying. However, as part of my teaching contract, the flight had to be paid by the school that I used to work at, so it’s no big deal to me if I decide to write it off, and stay around in Australia for a while to invest my money.

If I chose that path then I see myself having two options: 1) Spend a couple of years building up a portfolio strong enough to live off and then resume my studying interests 2) Try to quickly secure an investment that provides a positive cash-flow while still leaving me enough money to pay for tuition fees and a new flight back to Beijing in time for the start of the semester which is the 2nd of September (the costs involved would equate to about half of my capital). I’m a bit loathe to do the second option as it’s too rushed for my liking, and there’s not much margin for error. Option 1 I would consider, however it would mean giving up studying Chinese in the short-term (at least in the intense manner that you can only achieve while living in China!). In the long-term, this studying is potentially worth more to me than financial gain (did I mention how much I love languages already [:)]), so if I were to miss out on this opportunity and not be able to get it back then I would regret it forever.

At the moment, I have time. I’m more than able to live within my means, and am actually happy to just stay with my five year plan (though possibly reworking it if I decide it’s more beneficial say to work for 1 year instead of 2). I have no problems concerning being stuck in a crappy job etc, and I really enjoy what I’m doing at the moment. This again makes me even more wary about trying to take short-cuts to achieve what is ultimately the same goal. Deciding to actually do something is not really my problem. I’d already decided on my plan, and started putting it in action, the only thing is that the first year of it doesn’t really involve any investing of money [:)]. I guess I just wanted to hear what other people’s experiences starting up were, and then see how I can work that information into my current plan, to make it even better.

Ok, this post is pretty long, so if you’ve stuck with it, then it should hopefully fill you in on where I’m coming from, and where I hope to be going [:)] Thanks for reading.

Imron

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Imron

Ni hao!

I too have a great love of language learning and was planning to go to Beijing this year to improve my Mandarin. I’m just trying to improve my cashflow a bit before hand. (pls email me off line at [email protected] so we can talk more about China).

Have you thought about being an investor? There are people/companies that wrap for you. You put up the deposit and get teh loan and they arrange it all. Many people living o/s use these companies. I did my first 3 wraps using a company in Melbourne, my total upfront costs were about $8000 per property and I got the FHOG back as deposits ($7000 each!), but I was working and able to qualify for 95% loans. As you are not working here, you may have to go Low doc. That might get you a bit of cashflow, (ie $2500 to $3000 per property), you could go back to China and wait for them to cash you out and tehn go and buy 2 more and so on. just some ideas.

ps what are the living expenses like in Beijing?

Regards

Terryw

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Yeah, I had thought about being and investor, but now the time is too short for me to feel comfortable about doing it. Actually reading through the back issues of the newsletters, I found this particularly relevant quote of Steve’s:

“Every investor is plagued by the powerful emotions of fear and greed… the fear of missing out and the greed associated with amassing wealth.”

And actually most of my current concerns were really being amplified by a fear of missing out [:)] As I can happily support myself for the moment, I will probably just stay with my initial plan. Ok, maybe the FHOG wont be so high when I return, or maybe there will be some other new factors/concerns, but there will still be property, and there will still be opportunities to invest. Also the extra time between now and then will give me more time to learn, and more time to improve and evolve that plan. (I’m still interested in hearing about how all you others got started though [:)])

Thanks for the info [:)]

再见 (or zaijian for those without Chinese enabled web-browsers)

imron

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi Imron and others [:)],
    I’m also a newbie from a different angle. I’m a stay home mum with 2 boys (3+yrs and 9mo respectively). I’m a Midwife, acupuncturist and phlebotomist and pawn in the ‘game of life’ (hoping to graduate to ‘Queen'[:D] ). My husband works and brings home the money. I spend it, but now want to do so wisely. Since hearing about wraps, I’ve done some sporadic homework and am on my way to beginning my first wrap with my husband’s and accountant’s blessing (I hope!). I was once given some advice, ‘Buy where you can see it, drive past it and manage it’. Living in China (you lucky thing!) this would be difficult to do. I haven’t really taken that advice myself, but sometimes you’re best going on a gut feeling (I can just imagine everyone cringing right about now!) Or as TW said find a company that does the work for you. If your short of time (as I am) but want to do something, find the path that offers the best option and safety for your situation. Crawl – then walk – then run. When you come back from China, then you can do it full steam ahead.

Good Luck!
    Soosh (aka Sarah)

p.s. I loved China when I studied there. Incredibly envious of you![;)]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Getting Started..’ is closed to new replies.