All Topics / Value Adding / Our first reno project

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 288 total)
  • Profile photo of Jase and FlicJase and Flic
    Participant
    @jase-and-flic

Today we had an offer accepted on a 3 bed, 1 bathroom house in Noble Park Nth. It is 2 weeks to the day since we attended Steve's seminar in Melbourne, and it certainly helped motivate us to action.

I thought  I would try to keep a sort of online diary of the project here so everyone can help us out with ideas, and so others can learn from our experience also.

So the details of the deal are: (note that I will exlude some exact details until the contract becomes unconditional)
    Address: 11 Bellvue Ct, Noble Park North, Vic
    Have a look!
    http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=103660130&f=10&p=10&t=res&ty=&fmt=&header=&c=6889657&cc=au&s=vic&tm=1180867332

House: BV, 3 bed, 1 bath, 1toilet, BIRs, new kitchen, pretty new bathroom, big deck with spa.
    Purchase Price: mid $200k's
    Reno Cost: $25k
    Total Cash in: $56,624.00
    Expected Profit: $15,726.00
    Project length: 4months

Our Plan: Full repaint, new door handles, down lights and light fittings, light switches and power points, new floor coverings throughout except bathroom, new taps, new oven & rangehood, new toilet, timber venetians to all windows, render front of house, re-spray roof and driveway, gut front garden and re-do, trim and revive back yard, new lazerlight to deck…. and a few other things.
    Basically to transform it from a sound but tired house into modern looking, clean and fresh home oozing street appeal, and with a couple of Wow! features.
    The fact that the kitchen and bathroom need very little work is a huge plus, and it means we should be able to do a lot of work with the $25k reno budget.

That's enough for a start. Please tell me what you think.

Profile photo of Hopeful67Hopeful67
    @hopeful67

Looks Great.
    Looking forward to see how you go.

Profile photo of Jase and FlicJase and Flic
    Participant
    @jase-and-flic

Mon 4th June
    Today was getting a couple of loose ends sorted:
    -took out insurance on the house.
    -appointed a solicitor and gave their details to the RE Agent for conveyancing purposes
    -made an appointment with REA to go back to house tomorrow and measure all windows etc so we can start organizing materials and quotes.

Hi Hopeful67, thanks for replying. Are you from this area??

Profile photo of Hopeful67Hopeful67
    @hopeful67

Hi Jase and Flic,

Have only just started looking at property investment.  Have read Steve's third book "0 to 260+ Properties in 7 years" which has motivated me to get of the couch and do something.

I'm from Victoria and found your "diary" interesting, as its how I am planning to move forward with my first investment…..

Participant
    @jase-and-flic

Teus 5th June
    – called a couple of renderers and a tiler to get rough per metre estimates.
    – went back to the house to measure windows and everything else. Started on the outside as the agent was not there, called him when he was 15 min late and he had forgotten, so I could not get inside the house.  Still, I measured up all outside, and have a pretty good idea of inside so should be able to estimate most things. Will probably have to make another appointment soon to measure inside.
    Hopeful67, where in vic r u? We are in Berwick. Looked in Mulgrave for houses for a couple of weeks and made an offer on one but got rejected. Then started to expand the search a little and found the one in Noble Park North.

Profile photo of loccolocco
    @locco

Hey Jase and Flic,
    Keep up the good work!!
    I wish you every success, Noble park aint a bad area to start.

Luke

Participant
    @jase-and-flic

Hi locco
    Thanks for the reply. Do you live in the Noble Park area? I might be needing a builder sometime soon!!

Profile photo of HandyAndy888HandyAndy888
    @handyandy888

Good luck….rendering is brilliant, adds instant value to the house…

@locco

Hello Jase and Flic,

Yes i live near the area, bout 15mins towards Cranbourne. Need a builder drop me an email.

Cheers

Participant
    @jase-and-flic

Wed 6th June
    -asked a carpet layer for a rough cost on 3 bedrooms
    -typed a list of window sizes so I can buy blinds while on sale at Spotlight.

Yes, I did very little toward reno today. Working at this J-O-B seems to make it quite difficult to get things done. Now if I could just find a way to pay the bills while I wait for the Reno profit to come through……

Hi Handy Andy. Rendering the front is part of the plan. Probably just paint the rest.
    Hey, check out this link to see what sort of final product I am aiming for:
    http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=103744866&f=20&p=10&t=sol&ty=&fmt=&header=&c=10859477&s=vic&snf=rbs&tm=1180697085

Thanks for responding locco. How is business?

Profile photo of millionsmillions
    Participant
    @millions

I think it may be worth rendering whole house.  Rendering the front only looks a bit cheap.  Just my opinion.

@locco

Hey Jase and Flic,

Just thinking…
    To render whole house you are looking at about $38m2 with colour in the mix, this is the best form of render as it doesn't need to be painted and holds its colour. What are the rest of the houses facades like??? maybe just rendering the front with a 2 tone affect and a feature pergola or structure to break up the front and give it a visual wow!!
    Busines very busy but always looking for more,
    That is the joy of renovating, the possibilities are endless yet can be achieved at a sensible price.

Keep up the work!!!

Luke

Participant
    @jase-and-flic

Thur 7th June
    -called agent to make another inspection time next week to get some quotes done, eg carport, render, etc.
    -asked agent to fax contract of sale to mortgage broker
    -got prices on floating timber floor.
    -visited Lysaght Home Improvement showroom to inquire about carport. I reckon they will be expensive.
    -orderd timber venetians from Spotlight. Whole house for $1252. Might need some trimmed and fitted still though.
    -did some research on furniture rental

Participant
    @jase-and-flic
    locco wrote:

What are the rest of the houses facades like??? maybe just rendering the front with a 2 tone affect and a feature pergola or structure to break up the front and give it a visual wow!!

When looking from the front, the left side is painted white, right side not painted, rear of house painted purple and yellow with the heritage green deck.
    I think rendering everything will cost too much. Need to repaint back and left side. Render front and small return. So then right side will be only thing not painted and will probly look weird.

Does anyone know if you can just put a skim coat of sand & cement over bricks, just enough to fill mortar joints up to flush, then apply a roll on texture coat over that?? I think it would look almost like render, but maybe lots cheaper.
    Anyone tried this??

Participant
    @jase-and-flic

Fri 8th June
    -confirmed appointment with Lysaght for carport quote
    -booked quote time with a painter to spray paint roof and driveway.
    -visited electrical supplier for prices on downlights, power points, light switches etc.
    -visited Good Guys for price on freestanding oven
    -visited Solver Paints to ask about texture coating systems, paving paint, and prices.

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy
    Jase and Flic wrote:
    Does anyone know if you can just put a skim coat of sand & cement over bricks, just enough to fill mortar joints up to flush, then apply a roll on texture coat over that?? I think it would look almost like render, but maybe lots cheaper.
    Anyone tried this??

all the time. looks the same. costs about $20 for 3 bags of render and takes about a day. I found it easy when doing handfuls, forcing render into the joints with a gloved hand cupped upward. tried using a float but too messy / hard.

Profile photo of millionsmillions
    Participant
    @millions

Crashy – do you know if you can do above over previously painted bricks?

Participant
    @jase-and-flic

Sat 9th June
    -Spent morning with business partner, signing trust deeds, company constitutions, minutes of meeting etc and then went and opened bank account for the new structure.-2hours sitting in bank, yay, fun.
    -went to get prices on bricks and pavers
    -went to tile shop for a browse

Had planned to look at some more houses, but bank took longer than expected.

Crashy, thanks for reply. Do you buy actual render in bags, or just sand & cement mortar?

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Pre-reno picture of front of house
    Hi Jase&Flic what was the exact price that you settled on the property with? I put a photo up here so I don't lose it and also downloaded all the other ones onto my hard drive as it will be interesting to follow this thread and thanks for putting the details up. What is the land area of the block? What sort of loan did you get PI or IO and do you plan to sell it within 12 months or after?

Participant
    @jase-and-flic

HI Jaffa
    The loan application is still going, so I will put up those details when the loan is approved and the contract is unconditional. It will probly be about another week.
    The land size is about 590m i think. No scope for development, so just a straight out reno.
    We plan to have it on the market 2 months after settlement at the latest.
    Cheers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 288 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.