All Topics / Help Needed! / How do you calculate your tax deduction on your Interest payments?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of virgininvestorvirgininvestor
    @virgininvestor

Hello everyone,

Sorry but I'm just not sure if my calculations are right. and wondering if somebody could please help.

I have just settled on my first IP and with the first Interest only payment due at the end of the month I'm trying to work out a rough figure with the shortfall I'll be required to service the loan. But I get confused when I minus the Tax deduction on Interest payments. I was planning on using the tax variation form so each pay fortnightly.

My marginal rate is 30% (about 60K pa)

Do I minus the 30% from the annual Interest Only payments which are about $ 24,600

or do I minus the 30% after I have taken the the yearly rental income from the Interest payments?

e.g $24,500 – $13,000 = $ 11500

Because on both calculations I get different rough shortfalls after the deduction?

I can't seem to work out an approx shortfall, here are the basics if somebody could help, thanks

Loan repayments: Interest Only $ 2050 per month / $ approx $ 24500 p.a
    Rental Income: $ 250 p/w / $13,000 p.a or $ 1010 per month after agent fees deducted.

Tax rate 30% (60K p.a income)

Thanks.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You will have to work out your taxable income after taking into account the rent and all expenses of the property, including depreciaton. Once you have found this, then look at the calculator on the ATO site to determine your new tax amount and minus this from the old tax payable and that is your tax savings.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

So that would make your net income around: $60k+$12.12k-$24.5=$47.62k before tax

Profile photo of virgininvestorvirgininvestor
    @virgininvestor

Thanks guys, I'm still confused, might have to go see the tax man!

Profile photo of MasihMasih
    Participant
    @masih

1 – Add all incomes
    2 – Add all tax deductible costs

Income – costs – depreciation (if any) = New Income

New Income x Tax Rate = New Tax Payable

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.