All Topics / Finance / Claiming Interest on Loan

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of prodontiaprodontia
    @prodontia

Hi there, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.

I currently own my principle place of residence (an apartment – no mortgage on it).
    We are currently going to purchase another property (landed) and make that our principle place of residence (we will have to take out a loan for that), and will use the property we currently live in as a investment property.

1. Is there anyway to structure the loan in such a way that the interest from the loan can be tax deductible?
    2. What it the current legislation regarding avoiding the CGT on the apartment?

Thanks for all your help and clarification
    Adrian

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Is there anyway to structure the loan in such a way that the interest from the loan can be tax deductible?
    http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downloads/NAT1729-06.pdf
    See page 10 last paragraph starts with the words Some rental property owners borrow money to buy a new home and rent out their previous home
    It is not allowed tax department will not allow it !

Loan must be directly related to the purpose of producing income to be deductible.

CGT exemption on PPOR see link below . .If you have never rented out apartment and has always been PPOR it is CGT exempt.
    http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/36887.htm

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

Yes I agree with Duxster it is how the funds are used and not what property is mortgaged that is relevant.  Probably the only other way would be to sell it to a Family Trust,  but you'd have to pay stamp duty then, so you're caught both ways.
    Being your PPOR though there would be no CGT if you sold it now, and rented while the other place is being built.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Depending on the actual numbers selling the property into Trust could be well worth it.

I recon at the moment we do about 1 of these type of deals a week where a client realises they probably have structured their original PPOR loan incorrectly and need to restructure to obtain a tax deduction on the interest.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.