All Topics / Finance / Borrowing Extra as a Buffer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of ScottsdaleScottsdale
    Participant
    @scottsdale

For my first IP I’ll need to borrow $425k but was thinking if I borrowed $500k I’d then have a $75k buffer sitting in the offset just in case. Rough calculations estimate it to be just an extra $50 per week to get this buffer which I think is worth the peace of mind.

Is this fairly common practice among investors (borrowing extra for a buffer) and if I qualified for a $500k loan, is it something the banks would consider?

Also, if I told the bank I was going to use the $75k as a buffer but afterwards decided to use it as a deposit for my next IP, would there be any consequences?

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Only if your LVR will permit, they don’t just hand out money willy nilly.

IE if you’re only eligible for a 90% LVR and the purchase price was 500k, the maximum loan you could achieve is 450k.

What’s the purchase price, and your deposit?

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of TheNewGuyTheNewGuy
    Participant
    @thenewguy

I’m fairly new, but I immediately see tax implications if you mix the purpose of loans. Eg. You draw a single loan and use parts for income producing purposes (investment property) and parts in an offset against a ppor (?). You could draw multiple loans, the ip and the $75k in a separate account. The ip account interest is tax deductible, if you use the $75K for income producing it will also be deductible.

If you don’t draw down the $75K you don’t pay anything. I’ve had $50K sitting on an account for 18 months.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of TheNewGuy TheNewGuy.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of TheNewGuy TheNewGuy.
    Profile photo of ScottsdaleScottsdale
    Participant
    @scottsdale

Buying for $410k and deposit was 10% but as its Off the Plan due for completion in 3 years I plan to have at least another 15% saved. Is asking for more solely to act as a buffer not possible?

No PPoR so no mixing of the purpose of the loan. Tax deductible while simultaneously paying down the interest… Very nice!

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Maximum loan to valuation on a standalone basis is going to be 90% so unless the property values at a lot higher price then you wont be able to borrow any buffer.

Just got a valuation back from a forum client on a OTP which came in at 125K more than the initial contract price so we are doing 100% lvr + cash buffer but that is rare.

Too often the valuation comes in < purchase price.

No issues using the offset account if the sole funds deposited are the cash buffer but leaving it in redraw would be cleaner and linking the offset account to the whole loan.

Cheers

Yours in Finance
    0-40 Properties in a decade. Email me for a copy of my API interview.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Yes there are a few tax issues – don’t do it without tax advice.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of ScottsdaleScottsdale
    Participant
    @scottsdale

Thanks for the replies. Must have misunderstood what the speaker was saying as it did sound pretty good but at least it is possible as long as the valuation comes in higher than the contract price. I’ll keep the fingers crossed for the next three years :D

Where was that OTP Richard?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.