All Topics / General Property / $10K mentoring program

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of MattMatt
    Participant
    @matt1234

Hi,
    I am wondering if anyone has had experiece with Helen Collier-Kogtevs “10 Properties In 10 Years Mentoring Program”?

I am very new to property investment and being on the more conservative side I want to develop a sound property investment plan that attends to our short and long term goals.

I like the idea of a mentoring and education program from a comfort and sleep at night factor, but will I be paying $10k for someone just to “hold my hand” for 2 years as I get started and show me the ropes?? (Helens program is only 2 years of mentoring)

How else can I get sound and unbiased property investment advice, establish a strategic investment plan, and receive ongoing support from someone who will make sure we make all the right decisions with our long terms goals in mind?

Any help or clarification is greatly appreciated.

Regards- Matt

• This topic was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Matt Matt.
    Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Matt

The thing with mentoring is that it is tricky to define whether the outcome was a success. You need to be clear on what the service offerings are and how you’ll measure it’s all been “achieved”.

When you are conducting your purchasing process, if you have the right team around you (brokers etc) you will learn a heck of a lot from them along the way.

When people come onto the forums asking how to learn about property investing, the response is often “hang around on these forums for a while… read lots and ask lots of questions.” There is a LOT of information here.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Matt

Jacqui is so right the hardest part is to quantify how much you will benefit from such a program when you compare how you could spend the money elsewhere.

As an example you could engage an investment Buyers Agent and spend a lot less than $10K and get a property which will do the job and get you your way.

As an organisation we try and tailor our property acquisition to suit the financial requirement of our individual clients.

Some clients are seeking income whilst others want capital growth. Some need development potential others want something they can renovate to add value. Interstate or overseas clients want a hassle free investment which just keeps on spitting out rent.

I have never heard of Helen Collier-Hogtevs (in saying that she has probably never heard of me) but all i would say is ensure that before you spend this sort of money the person offering such advice has a good track record. Seen too many so called educators who are still paying off their own home loan or who haven’t purchased an IP before but are happy to take your money.

Cheers

Yours in Finance.
    0-40 Properties in a decade. Email me for a copy of my API interview.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Matt

I can’t comment on the companies offering because I don’t know anything about them.

If you’ve got the time, patience and ability to learn – then you can teach yourself heaps about property investing by picking up books and frequenting forums like this.

Agree with Richard re using a BA – that could be a better use of your money.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of KarlKarl
    Participant
    @karlthomas

Hi Matt,

You should consider Steve McKnight’s Property Apprenticeship. In this program you will become a sophisticated and confident investor. This program really is Steve’s lifetime work. There is a lot of content but it is very easy to read and you get through it quickly and more importantly understand it. It also includes about 6 assessments, so that you get the hands on practical experience. You will also be mentored by Jason Staggers who provides excellent support. I know in the past he has been happy to schedule a call with people considering doing the program to discuss it further and to help determine whether or not it right for them. So perhaps that is a good option for you.

Another benefit is you get to attend a couple of workshops. The great thing about this is you get to meet like minded investors on the same journey as you. If you are serious about becoming a property investor then this is the best program in my opinion. I have been in the program for about 2 months now.

If you are still not too sure about it, you should attend Steve’s 2-Day Property Profits Power Workshop. I imagine as well as two insightful days talking specifically about property investing, he will likely talk about the Property Apprenticeship.

Wishing you well on your journey.

Karl

Profile photo of PetePete
    Participant
    @pjewitt

Learn, learn, and learn. That’s how I got started, there’s so much reading material out there and it’s free (if you go to the library) or a very small outlay if you buy the books etc yourself. I prefer to buy books so they’re on hand if I ever want to reference something on the spot.

In my opinion, you don’t need to spend thousands of dollars at the very beginning to get started. Read books to learn the fundamentals of property investing, combine that with forums like this for more “real-time” info and peoples’ personal experiences, and that should be plenty to get your foot in the door. Because there’s different strategies to property investment, you need to know what strategy is best going to suit you. The last thing you’d want to do is fork out $10k only to find out that particular strategy isn’t for you.

I started investing in property 15 years ago without having educated myself at all on the subject. After a couple of years I decided that if I wanted to grow my portfolio I’d need to educate myself so bought a few books. One of the books focused on buying cash flow positive properties, while the other focused on gearing/borrowing using equity to keep purchasing properties. Both strategies had pros and cons, I liked the idea of cash flow positive properties but was too time poor to spend the time sourcing them.

It’s only now years later that I’m at a point where I myself and thinking how can I take my investing up a notch. This is the point where I believe a mentorship can be worth spending $10k on. I know what I want to achieve, am comfortable with large amounts of debt (which I believe is VERY important) and I have capital behind me so to fork out $10k is not going to hurt me financially.

The buying cash flow positive properties book that I read was Steve McKnights’ 0-130 properties in 3.5 years, definitely worth a read. This is all just my opinion but I hope I was able to help.

Pete

Profile photo of MattMatt
    Participant
    @matt1234

Hi everyone
    I really appreciate the advice and suppor each of you have given.

One of the biggest attractions of a mentoring program is having them help you establish a property investment plan that fits your short/long term goals (what type of properties, where to buy, price points to look at, positive cash flow versus capital growth, etc). Then it’s the support and mentoring to make sure you make all the right decisions over the first 1-2yrs with this plan and your goals in mind.

Where else can I get this input and support if I didn’t do a mentoring program? Some of you mentioned Buyers Agent, who else do I need on my side?? Thanks in advance

Matt

Profile photo of TheNewGuyTheNewGuy
    Participant
    @thenewguy

I would start reading, attending workshops and coming up with your own ideas and plans, then post back here for feedback or ask people you meet along the way. If you still have issues or worries then you can start considering spending the $10K.

Profile photo of DonavanDonavan
    Participant
    @donavan

Well when you are performing your buying procedure, if you have the right group around you you will understand a terrible of a lot from them along the way.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Donavan Donavan.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Donavan Donavan.
    Profile photo of DonavanDonavan
    Participant
    @donavan

Well when you are performing your buying procedure, if you have the right group around you you will understand a terrible of a lot from them along the way.

Cambodia Property News

Profile photo of ScottsdaleScottsdale
    Participant
    @scottsdale

HCK has been around for a while and would put her in the same camp as Margaret Lomas

As mentioned above, all the information is widely available at a fraction of the cost but where I think it would be beneficial paying such a pretty penny would be for the consistent motivation and being held accountable. But if you’re motivated enough yourself to succeed and follow through with your plans you would be better off looking for a successful mentor for advice and networking at places such as Meet Up groups in your area.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.