All Topics / General Property / New Building Inspection – Handovers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of JJ10JJ10
    Participant
    @jaydev

I am currently constructing duplex in Toowoomba and practical completion is soon. Has anyone got any recommendations for new building inspection in Toowoomba area? I have been recommended to use http://www.handovers.com but need your reviews. I am sure that inspection charges are tax deductible but does it fall under capital cost ?

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

does it fall under capital cost ?

Yes

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of SteveSteve
    Participant
    @sbourishotmail-com

Hi JJ10,

I built in Gladstone and used Handovers.com. I would have to check my emails as it was over 2 years ago, but I think the gentelmens name was Paul. He did a fantastic job, his report was very detailed and included photos. I also used him to do a second inspection to make sure all his issues were rectified and he did a great. All the expenses for me were tax deductable. From my experience he was well worth the cost.

Cheers
    Steve

Profile photo of JJ10JJ10
    Participant
    @jaydev

Thanks Steve,

It helps a lot with positive feedbacks.

Profile photo of GayleGayle
    Participant
    @gaylemorrison

I know the above posts are quite old but we made the mistake of using Handovers.com on the recommendation of our Property Management Group. We paid are fee and were given a first inspection report that was not the thorough checklist we had expected. The second inspection was even smaller – all defects rectified and no new defects found. On Handovers word we completed on the house (brand new) and followed up ourselves with a ‘go see’. We were very disappointed in the result. We did not expect Handovers to do anything about the problems we only expected them to report any problems on our house. When we complained to Handovers we were told they were not ‘required’ to report on no defects and I clearly didn’t know what a defect was.
    The hole in my back yard that you could loose a small dog down was not ‘required’ by the standards set on the QBCC website to be noted, and that builders didn’t like them mentioning little things that were not on the standards – I suggested that the builders were not their clients and we were so what did it matter what builders thought. We also wanted to know why things had been missed by Handovers and the answer was ‘oh well’.
    DO NOT USE HANDOVERS.COM for your inspection – they are shit and you are better off doing it yourself and saving the money.

Profile photo of Trevor MaroneyTrevor Maroney
    Participant
    @trevormaroney

I had an inspection carried out by Handovers.com and could not be happier. The Handovers.com inspector was extremely professional and clearly explained to me all the defects on his report. Highly recommended.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.