All Topics / Value Adding / Heating Options

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of dtrain28dtrain28
    Participant
    @dtrain28

Hi All,

First post, here we go.

I am looking at heating options for my house. It’s an old housing trust/housing commission home with the asbestos external walls. There is no insulation in the walls & it gets pretty chilly in winter. There is a split system in the lounge and I have a small panel heater in the master bedroom. The rest of the house (kitchen & other bedrooms) are a heating problem. Currently considering ducted throughout but can’t bring myself to fork out the $6,000 – $8,000 as I’m going to be renting it out in the future. Does anyone have any heating solutions or tips they’d care to share?

Thanks

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Dtrain,

Does it have ceiling insulation? I would think this would have a marked effect on warmth, more so than external walls. If ceiling insulation is old, a “top-up” could be all that’s needed.

I can’t see any quick/easy way around the walls – unless you wanted to use the foam to fill the cavities (means drilling holes internally to insert the nozzle – don’t drill through asbestos). This foam is what I have seen used on USA TV shows – I haven’t used it locally, but I would think it should be available !!!

Benny

Profile photo of dtrain28dtrain28
    Participant
    @dtrain28

There is ceiling insulation. I have arranged for a professional to assess the current ceiling insulation. Will be interesting as to what he has to say.

Profile photo of Captain Risk0Captain Risk0
    Participant
    @worked

Reverse cycle split system in the room(s) you spend the most time in. Look for specials in shops, and 50 months interest free. You get 5 years warranty on the split. Do not get ducted – expensive to run, expensive to maintain, tenants are never happy with its cooling/heating capacity and expensive to repair if something goes wrong after warranty. It is cheaper to replace a smaller split system if it is beyond economical repair then it is to replace a ducted system.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.