All Topics / Help Needed! / How to stop water from going inside ground floor in a high set house in brisbane

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of henrymelbournehenrymelbourne
    Participant
    @henrymelbourne

Hi, Everybody: I got a high set house in Archerfield in Brisbane. I bought around 2010. It is a high set typical house in that area with 3 bedrooms and kitchen upstairs. The ground floor is enclosed by brick wall and consist a big rumpus, bar area, a single garage, a small workshop. At that time, I have not seen the problem with it and the property inspector who I appointed also did not mention any serious problem for the house. After settlement, I found a tenant straightway. It seems OK. After 2011 flooding, the ground floor is also affected with water around 1 mitre deep. After this, sometime later, the tenant who rented the property until now started to complain water coming to the ground floor during storm to the property manager. I got a friend there who said the problem is due to low concrete floor at ground. He said at the time of building, the ground floor is not supposed for living.

I wonder what I can do to stop the problem. Maybe Dig a trench around the house and let water there to be diverted to rainwater collection or low point. What kind of tradepeople can help? How much is ballmark to solve the problems. Many thanks.

Profile photo of RichardRichard
    Participant
    @richardppiadvice-com-au

Hi Henry, the solution is drainage and redirecting the water flow. you probably need to determine the over land water flow levels, which you can define by contacting the relevant council and talking with their town planner. Might be lucky to find it online via the council’s http://pdonline.brisbane.qld.gov.au/MasterView/masterplan/enquirer/default.aspx, which offers site specific information on flooding.

Another option is to have a hydro engineer inspect the site and make their recommendations.

Richard | PPI Investment Advice
    http://ppiinvestmentadvice.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Licensed Property Financial Advisors providing tailored property advice and solutions!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.