All Topics / Finance / Advice on Interest only and Offset accounts.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of KnoxKnox
    Participant
    @knox1

Hey there!

Just wanting a bit more info off of people who have actually used these or know how to effectively. As I’m searching for my first property and trying to educate myself along the way I would like to know-

*What the pros/cons are of interest only and offset accounts are
    *Why I would pay only the interest off of the mortgage?
    *Is combining an interest only loan with an offset account more beneficial than a principal and interest loan with an offset, for investing?

I have a basic understanding of these, but any other help or advice/teachings would be fantastic!

Thanks guys,

Knox.

• This topic was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of Knox Knox.
    Profile photo of PHPPHP
    Participant
    @php

Hey Knox,

*What the pros/cons are of interest only and offset accounts are
    If for an investment loan:
    – con = you will only be paying the interest portion of the loan and after the loan term, you still owe the bank the same amount.
    – pros = you will only be paying the interest portion of the loan and effectively maximizing your tax deductible debt. having an offset account link to the loan will reduce the interest paid depending on the amount in the offset account that is offsetting the loan. In I/O, the interest is calculated daily and charged monthly. With this setup, you have the flexibility of paying the principal loan (via parking in offset) in any amount you want and is not dictated by the bank, you have control over this. You also have the freedom to pull it out anytime you need it for succeeding purchases.

*Why I would pay only the interest off of the mortgage?
    If for investment:
    – you are maximising the tax deductible debt by just paying the interest therefore you will get max tax benefit. This also free up cashflow as you will be paying less each time as oppose to P&I. So you can save up much quicker.

*Is combining an interest only loan with an offset account more beneficial than a principal and interest loan with an offset, for investing?
    Yes. It is more beneficial to have IO + 100% offset OR IO for IP loan and Offset link to non tax deductible loan (PPOR, your home loan)

Cheers!

PHP | Mortgage Station Pty Ltd
    http://www.mortgagestation.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Give us a call or send us an email for a free residex report.

Profile photo of PHPPHP
    Participant
    @php

Having said that. It will still come down to how good your money handling habits are. In some cases, it is actually better for an individual to pay P&I than having it IO + Offset due to bad money habits. As soon as they see money in the bank, they spend it on wants not needs.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Knox,
    Maybe an earlier reply re a “IO vs P&I” question might help. Note how, using IO and Offset, you may CHOOSE to pay at a P&I rate, while keeping your funds in Offset. The result can be similar, but your flexibility is WAY higher by going IO/Offset than by paying P&I.

Especially, see the last post in the thread where I foretell a “worst case scenario” (and it is pretty damn good) :-
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/topic/4410595-im-a-bit-confused/

Benny

Profile photo of KnoxKnox
    Participant
    @knox1

Wow Benny! That was pretty good! Haha. Thanks very much for the link to that, although I may need to read over it a few more times to understand it all a bit better :) AND thank you also PHP for getting back to me! The idea of IO+100% offset makes (a bit) more sense to me now.

Am I right in saying that using this method I’m basically freeing up more cash to purchase more IP’s?
    I’m a bit of a dummy when it comes to tax.. How does maximizing my tax deductible debt benefit me? (sorry about that one lol)
    I understand equity is built up over time as values increase, also with reno’s and paying down the principal etc. If I don’t pay down the principal do I just sit and wait and do reno’s/fix ups on the property when necessary to gain equity? Because using equity is a good way to purchase more IP’s right? Or do people usually pay a bit off of the principal on their own terms?

Thanks again guys

Knox.

Participant
    @knox1

Also this might go hand in hand with another question- Does anyone know of a reputable Mortgage Broker in the Adelaide region?

Thanks,

Knox.

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Knox,

Am I right in saying that using this method I’m basically freeing up more cash to purchase more IP’s?

Correct – the bank only asks that you pay Interest – nothing needs to be paid off the Principal – so you “pocket” the extra, putting it to work in your Offset account (which helps to REDUCE the Interest owing each month).

And you keep your spare dollars “freed up” too, as you may remove the total contents of the Offset at any time, at which point the original loan and Interest/month reverts to its original settings – which leads on to your next point:-

How does maximizing my tax deductible debt benefit me?

The ATO allows you to claim any IP losses against your personal Income (wages), thus reducing your “Taxable Income”. Now, we have two common scenarios with this:-
    1. If an IP is negative geared, you are losing money each month in hopes of a later equity gain. The loss after all expenses, less rental income, is applied to your personal Income for the year. This loss reduces your Taxable Income, but your employer would have been paying Tax for you as though your wage was your only income. With your Taxable Income reduced (by the negative geared loss), the ATO will write you a cheque as a Tax Refund.

2. If an IP is positive geared, you are making money each month. Your accountant adds the Income, less all expenses, to arrive at your total gain for the year from the IP – this is then added to your Taxable Income, and YOU write a cheque to the ATO for the extra. By paying Interest only, you are not spending after-Tax $$ paying down the Principal, but you ARE reducing the Interest paid, so your deductions do get less, and you make more of a Profit each year (and write a bigger cheque to the ATO). Same as if you worked an extra job – you make money from it, you pay extra Tax.

BUT, when you find another use for the $$ in Offset, like buying another IP, and you take those $$ out of the Offset, your original loan and Interest remain at their original amounts, thus you are making LESS money (paying more Interest), so you pay less Tax.

Instead of using your after-tax $$ to reduce the Principal (thus the Interest owing) on an IP, you keep the Principal at its highest, and use the Offset to lower the Interest. THEN, when opportunity knocks, you use those after-Tax $$ you have saved in your Offset to generate another Income by buying an extra IP, or you might use it as a deposit on a PPOR. You don’t have to “ask the Bank” to get some more Equity out of your house to buy another one. No need to – you are your own bank !!

So yeah – HUGE gains and flexibility by utilising Offset accounts (as per that LONG example I linked you to – read it a few times and see if it starts making sense to you),

Benny

Profile photo of PHPPHP
    Participant
    @php

Also this might go hand in hand with another question- Does anyone know of a reputable Mortgage Broker in the Adelaide region?

Thanks,

Knox.

Contact Corey Batt of XL Financials http://www.xlfinancial.com.au/
    You’re in good hands with Corey. Give him a call, he’ll be happy to help.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @knox1

Benny and PHP,

Thanks a tonne for the help and info guys, gradually making more sense haha! Legends!

Knox.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

hit up Corey – good dude, great broker.

Cheers

Jamie

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of Jamie Moore Jamie Moore.

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Participant
    @knox1
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.